THR Hi, Yearly update

I agree...be interested in Jo's opinion. Blood in urine Jo?
 
Clot prevention protocols do seem to be all over the map. I had just 4 weeks of aspirin once a day and no stockings or cuffs (for which I was thankful!).
 
Martin, your outing to the pub sounds wonderful! The pints, we'll that depends on whose driving or how steady you're walking and the status of those pain meds. Getting out of those 4 walls of your house can be liberating (and stop those walls from closing in on you). Enjoy!
 
I'm sorry to hear of this little blip raising concern, but it is worrisome. As active as you are, the blood thinning protocol you're following does seem excessive. I see a few have weighed in, so I will as well.
I took 325 mg of aspirin 2x daily for a month.
Hopefully the bleeding subsides, or you get the okay from your doctor to lighten up on the injections or substitute with something else. Aside from that it sounds like you're doing great!
Sure hope you get answers soon as we worry about our, Martin!
@mcopt
 
I do wonder if these medics are just covering their backs if they don't put you on something and you get DVT.
Absolutely they are NOT just covering their backs. There is plenty of evidence that clots are an increased risk after surgery and that the best preventative measure is anticoagulants. The TEDs are questionable. There is evidence that they are not as effective as is thought.
TEDs Negative Research: Lancet 27th May 2009
 
I must confess I stopped wearing the stocking not long after I had my clips out. I was moving quite a bit and was on the blood thinning pills.

I hope your other issue sorts itself out quickly. If not I think a trip to the dr or a phone call to you OS would be a good idea
 
My mother was on Xarelto (blood thinner) and experienced blood in her urine. Decrease in dosage solved the problem.
 
So how was your jaunt to the pub? How far did you have to walk? Did you work up your thirst for a pint or two or five? Inquiring minds want to know! I'm stuck here at the office so I must live vicariously through you!
 
Hi Martin,
Hope you had a good day...
Hope tomorrow is even better!
One week post op already, time sure flies.
Out pubbing it already :cheers: That's Coke light in those mugs :wink:
 
Hi yeah made it to the pub we moved into the village a year ago and have been made so welcome here the Bulls Head is the hub of the community I must admit I am not a big drinker but its just very sociable had lovely beef sandwich and diet coke (honest) then 200 yard jog back home to watch the great escape with steve McQueen could get used to this life.
No more bleeding so far. I think my comment may have been taken a bit out of context recently or the way I phrased it was a bit ambiguous no way was I advocating not to use prescribed blood thinners I just felt that perhaps the one size fits all approach is adopted too readily by the medics and that the protocol perhaps should be based more on individual circumstances not what a particular hospital is used to using and a regular review pattern with changing or tapering the medications down as the patients risk of DVT reduces and the risks of side effects from the blood thinners increases. Of course its very difficult to predict dvt risk unless there is some underlying blood issues or a strong family history and equally I think it is important to warn people that a small increased risk could continue for longer than you think and taking precautions during long flights or even car journeys should always be considered. Anyway I am booked to see my GP tomorrow so I will discuss this with them I just feel my blood thinning is too much my nose has dried blood in it and with that last episode I feel a month at this level could swing my risk profile the other way ie towards bleeds I must mention to the GP that I had a small optic nerve margin bleed a year or so ago that could be an indicator that I need a more conservative regime. Will keep you updated if I dare .
Pamper day today had to get some new cling film (roll was finished) so I can finally venture in the shower and a new pair of stockings sadly no fishnets arrived yet if I ask nicely I think I may be able to get my toe nails clipped as well :tada:. Anyway enough rambling for now I will shut up .:mute:
 
I also understand the protocol for blood thinners...also see that any blood in urine or stool should be reported.
Make sure you check on it.
 
Hi @mcopt! Thought I’d put the protocol my doc used. I had to wear the compression machine for 10 days with only taking them off for 2 hours per day. Plus, I took the 81mg aspirin am and pm. My husband (partial knee) was in a clinical trial comparing 3 anticoagulants. He was assigned Warfin (Coumadin). What a pain!!! He had to get blood levels 2x/week for a month. I was asked to participate but I refused. His last knee he took the 325mg aspirin. I hope you got your level straightened out. I’m still following your recovery. Glad it’s going well.
 
Hi @mcopt. Seems like your recovery is going fairly well. Glad bleeding issue resolved. I must admit I had a little trouble following it, not that I wasn’t interested, just dilaudid then Percocet impacting concentration!

Waiting for people to come in and deal with release paperwork. Evidenty roads are a little icky from snow last night. Don’t mind waiting til around noon.

Doctor said he heard some congestion on left side of lung, don’t know if they will give anything for that. Other than that, moving around well. Pain not bad, some occasional spikes to 6-7. So far I think getting it done before it was 24-7 pain was the right call.
 
Hi there,
Very good news on the bleeding. Personally, I never thought you were implying not to follow a blood clot
protocol and I'm sure those of us who are familiar with you felt the same. So don't worry your pretty lil self over that :) :-) (:
It sounds as though the method you're following may be too ambitious given what you've described as your level of activity, dried blood in the nose and the previous optic nerve margin bleed. It's good you have an appt with your doctor today. Hopefully he'll agree to a less stringent approach.

Yay for the shower, I was going to say something about that, it's good you have a wife to keep you on top of your game! Marty's Maidens can only handle so much from afar :heehee:

Hope your day is sunny and bright :yes: :SUNsmile:
@mcopt
 
Think it has nearly been an ODIC day.
Managed shower bit of jiggling around with cling film first its a good job she knows me well :blush:. I don't think I have appreciated a shower as much as that one . New TEDs fitted then popped into work to check post etc then lunch and bit of shopping at garden centre then off to pick up daughter from school so in and out of car and walking quite a bit got to admit felt a bit shattered so plenty of rest this evening and perhaps a little lesson learnt . Going to wait now to be told off by the MMs (thanks @Layla :heehee:) come on there must be a few guys out there to help me with this lot they are ganging up on me :sos:. Pleased to see those who had ops today are now doing ok just had appointment for 16th March with consultant I think it is pre op consultation for left the letter wasn't that clear but I don't think its surgery date will check tomorrow. Quiet night now.:alarm:
 
Sounds like you're doing well. That first shower, whether it's the day after surgery or later, feels awesome, but a bit tiring. It also feels wonderful to to do some "normal" things - like you're getting your life back. In and out of the car -are you driving?

It's easy to hit ODIC - often don't know it until afterwards. Sometimes you hit the energy wall instead of the physical ability wall. In either event, kick back in the recliner with some ice on the hip and a nice hot (or cold if you prefer) drink and relax! Let the 2 MMs in your house wait on you tonight! :heehee:

Have a restful evening!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom