Hi I'm new here but I brought brownies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 75 year old father was getting himself all ready to help me in and out of the shower. I thought to myself not going to happen! I stripped down in my bedroom, went to bathroom in a towel. Stepping in and out was pretty easy really. Just make sure everything is at hand's reach. Actually when I do hip no.2 I reckon I won't need him to come help at all.
 
zauberflöte, when I showered 3 days post-surgery in the hospital I used the shower seat, but day 4 on, at home, I stood. I sure took short showers, but it was doable. I thought I'd find sitting as uncomfortable as standing, so I refused the offer of a borrowed shower chair.
 
Songlady yeah, short showers! that may be the answer. :)
How did Songman fare facing all the sopranos who wished you were there last night? (Wed night? I forget!!) Did they send him home with goodies for you??????:heehee:
 
Allycat That is so sweet of your daddy. I love that.

zauberflöte We had one of those small white plastic lawn chairs in the shower until I found a bench. They were popular in the 80s, and we had it stored in the shed. It cleaned up real nice, and even had drainage slots in the seat . I still seen them around, sometimes in the drug stores. Wonder if that would fit in your lil shower? Or you may find a small shower bench at a Goodwill...They are handy to take the weight off of the hips.
 
ByGosh what a good idea-- yeah, I thini they are in the drug store right nw, those chairs! But... even one of those wold take up all the room in the shower, and I would be stuck facing the door, unable to shut it LOL.
 
To be honest zauberflöte, I only sat on the shower chair because it was there. I reckon I didn't really need it once I was home from hospital. Depends how long you spend showering. I'm in - do what needs doing - and out, in less than 10 minutes!
 
zauberflöte, does that walker have wheels? I am an advocate for wheels on the walker. I had to use a walker for the first week out from my surgeries and mine didn't have wheels. I was literally ready to throw it out the door within a few days, why I didn't get one with wheels, don't know, I think maybe because of the drugs they had me on. By the time I was really flustered with it I was able to use just a cane. It sounds like all over this country of ours the weather is not being very nice. Where's our spring?? The weatherman said in my neck of the woods we are going to have summer next Tuesday, one day of 90's and then it's going back to colder weather again. The trees are saying to heck with it and they are starting to get their leafs.
 
Of course you can bend zauberflöte I forget about the different approaches and restrictions!! :hairpulling:
I'm probably being really stupid but I'd have thought that sitting down and getting back up off the chair would be more of a problem than standing for 5 - 10 mins especially in a confined space, well for those of us that have restrictions especially. When I went into the hydro pool on day 3, I think it was, I was able to have a shower in the large wet room/changing room/toilet area they had and although there was a chair I only used it to help me get dressed.
I would really like to know if anyone has tried to have a bath yet? I would have a hot bath most evenings after work because it helped with the stiffness and pain and I'm missing having them for my unoperated hip but I'm worried about sitting down and getting back up, any thoughts anyone? :what:
 
Littlejem, I haven't been able to get into the bath for such a long time I cant remember the last time. Loss of mobility meant that trying to sit down in the bath was impossible and getting out again just as bad. I will be sticking to showers for some time yet.
 
Littlejem A bath would be heavenly, and so soothing. I only use a shower with a seat here. There was someone in this forum who mentioned being set back by getting in a tub too soon - I think they were 6 weeks out from surgery. I can't remember who or what thread. It must have been the squatting down and getting up again. I haven't taken a bath, so I can't comment on it. But I imagine it would be like trying to sit on the floor....?
 
Yes ByGosh I did think I'd try getting onto the floor first to see how it goes. I might tag a moderator on my thread and ask them.
@elosarbrab it was difficult getting in but I was lucky to be able to manage it, the lovely warm water really helped to ease the pain.
 
Littlejem Yes, tagging a moderator is a very smart idea. Don't make the mistake I made and do something that might cause you pain, like when I went for so many doctor visits during week 4 that I ended up straining my groins. Now everytime I feel better and do things, I'm back on the couch with ice packs. :sad:
Also I was sorry to read that you have a bit of a leg length difference that sort of aggravates things a bit. That 's too bad, but it should get corrected with your next surgery and be taken care of. Glad your surgery is coming up soon! I wonder if a little lift in your shoe would help for now? My physio put some in my shoes pre-op to take care my feet leaning out when I walked. It helped correct a lot of aches and pains I was having, especially my lower legs and back.
How's Henry doing? Did he go pubbing last night with you? If there's ever a Friday night you don't go, he may just have a mind to go walk up there by himself for a treat and some petting! :heehee:
 
sandybeach yup, the walker has wheels, but they have been sitting in that storeroom for 2 decades unused-- I will need a whole can of WD-40 once I get the wheels off. I may also have to invert them-- put them on the inside of the frame, if the design allows. We were told at class that the walker must have wheels. My Rite Aid sells little kits with just the wheels, so you must be able to retrofit older walkers.
I know! Maybe I take the walker in the shower with me LOL!!!!! Somewhere in the basement I have a Corian counter part which would possibly just fit inside the walker frame, so I could sit on it.
Ooooh can you tell my daddy was an engineer? :rotfl:
ByGosh Allycat Elosarabrab Littlejem thanks for the discussion and hints! I am not a bath taker, I have this OCD tendency to think about how nasty the tub is b/c I didn't clean it specially...sigh...
 
zauberflöte Yes, a walker with wheels is a must.

And the tub thing---well, my kids and my hubby all use our one bathtub for their showers, and since I can't clean it out by myself yet, (and of course no one could clean it as good as me anyway, speaking of OCD:heehee: ), I'd rather not use it now. Although I'd LOVE a nice hot bath, I won't be taking one just yet. Not with teenagers who use gyms and who knows what else. I'll be sticking to my own little shower that I've claimed and taken over. It's just easier for me.
 
zauberflöte, I have to admit. Today Songman and Songboy volunteered for a festival at the church where I work and the ladies from the bake sale table sent home a plate of brownies with a note for me! :egypdance: Of course, I'll share.

As someone mentioned, I was nervous about the sitting and standing up for the shower chair, and figured I'd be better off standing but taking quick showers. But we're all different!
 
Yes, you'll be fine standing in the shower. (You'll be shaky for the first one; just have someone nearby in case you need help.) And I'm guessing you won't use that walker long (or at all) or need a reacher, either, but you'll let us know soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom