TKR Hi. Glad I found you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jersygirl-in-ca Maybe you can work out some kind of payment plan? Take care of yourself!
 
Well am almost a full month out and having a terrible time. Am seeing a pt that is known for being tobs. She is worried about swelling, the fact that so painful to bend knee (90 to 100 only when straining and forcing) and that I can't extend leg still two to three fingers under when extended. I went back rto DR to get more pain meds so can double my 5-325 when I see her. Does nothing. Me who went two years after my accident with a twisted knee, acute meniscus tear and al, twisted off cartilage severe valgus yadda yadda. Even her rolling the rolling hand tool over me barely touching by then kills me. I use elevation, ice, do my exercises, have I not pushed hard enough???
 
It sounds like you need to give your knee a rest and follow the Bonesmart mantra! The less you work your knee hard, the less swelling you will have and then you will see Rom will improve. You have nothing to lose. Just take 4 or 5 days off and do as little as possible. keep icing and elevating and I believe you will see a difference. I hope you do see an improvement!
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time! I agree that you may need to give your knee a rest and concentrate on just elevating and icing for a few days. If you feel guilty about not exercising or afraid of 'backsliding' just do the gentle exercises you did the first few days in bed, heel slides, leg lifts, etc. just a few at a time with lots of elevation and ice in-between.
 
@tiredwife and @Jozilla I am not sure what to do as am afraid of the old saying damned if you do and damned if you don't. She got me easier movement in some ways but no further progress due to swelling on the other. When people do the slides, are you supposed to pull the belt on your ankle to past major pain threshold?
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca You are doing too much if you go past discomfort to pain. Never go to pain. Any day my hubby did too much he swelled, you can't bend or straighten a swollen knee. I would make him elevate and ice all the next day if he swelled. He would be a little stiff waking up the next morning after a day of just elevating and icing, but would walk that out the next day. He is doing good, knee #1 the doc said he probably wouldn't get past 120 flex because of how bad the knee was, but at about week 8 he hit 122 and although he would overdo it by doing too much in one day, he never let pt push him to pain!
 
@tiredwife Tanks. Did his pt push him at all? I am just at 4 weeks and 2 days but 90 degrees is low. I stepped up my exercise and stretching but am still unable to get past the 90. Also I can't straighten my leg and stretching the hamstring doesn't seem like it is doing anything. Oh well, tomorrow I am going to tell her to calm down. Thanks. I hope this keeps my Sept surgery on track
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca the only time the pt laid hands on him was to hold the little measure thing up to his leg, and one time he massaged an area that was aching. They would tell him what to do and he would do it to discomfort and not pain. I think one thing that helped is our stairs, he climbed them a lot. They are short flights, so it wasn't too bad. He would put his heel one or two steps up and just gently let his leg stretch straight and then put his foot on a step up an gently lean into it. He would stop and do a few of those each time he had to go up the steps, nothing to cause pain , gentle! You are still early out, people's ROM improves up to a year or more. There are several people on here that have had that happen.
 
@tiredwife Funny, I have been bone on bone with cysts and huge Osteophytes on my left knee since 2008 and was due to get that done before my accident on my right leg which is just had surgery on. Going up and down my front steps is pain free with the leg that is the one just operated on whether hard to bend or not. The left leg I have to twist an turn each step and still painful. LOL Your husband goes in in Aug again I see so I gues his progres is paramount on the current one too. Glad he is doing so well.
 
Sounds like you are doing way too much and irritating your poor wounded tissues causing even more swelling, more pain, and less ROM.
Try backing off and letting your knee get the rest it needs to heal.
Glad to read you are going to tell the PT to back off today.
Less is more, work smarter not harder.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
90 is fine at 4 weeks. I bet if you let the knee calm down a bit you'll continue gaining. I would say no to tools at this point. I think they inflame things worse. Some massage by hand can be ok.

Oh, and my PT said the belt is to hold the bend, allowing your leg to relax--not to pull it farther. Made some sense to me.
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca I have just been reading your thread. I honestly think fear is the biggest demon we face when things don't go to plan please rest your poor knee
like you I was lead by physio and had been in tears due to pain, our knees have been traumatised once you realise this and give them a bit of TLC they respond well, nice gentle exercises lots of ice and elevation. my rom is poor t the mo but my wound didn't heal quick and a suspected infection also quad still not working but I am coping and can see an improvement
@tiredwife along with many others has been fab giving me advice and a much needed lift when I have felt down
chin up
 
@vallee My pt appts. are almost over and I went from 3 a week down to 2. Monday as I was getting ready to go I was called that my pt was sick. That gave me a couple of days to calm down the leg. It is so much better today. I was even able to go to pool today and exercise in there. I will do my regular exercises on land this afternoon. So sorry to hear you may have an infection. Hope some antibiotics wipe it out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom