TKR Hi. Glad I found you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even my PT wouldn't have me do 13 exercises. Maybe 4. And not 20 reps--maybe 10 each time. Also sometimes there are ones you do early on that you drop when the new ones are introduced...
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca I don't think I told you how to tag someone to let them know you are looking for them. You put an '@' right in front of their names (as I have done yours) You have to spell it exactly how it is under their avatar. If done right when you post it the name will turn blue. The person will get an alert next time they get on the site. You have a great day, and please don't overdo it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hi. Glad I found you all
@jerseygirl-in-ca, have you read all the articles that skigirl gave you links to? Even if you have, go back and re-read them. The answers to most of our questions are found in those articles; and the advice they giving regarding all forms of activity and PT are right on the money. Those of us who insist on doing too much PT usually end up in a lot of unnecessary pain and recovery just takes longer.

Being in pain is counterproductive to recovery---so take your pain meds on a schedule so that pain never gets ahead of you. I took my narcotic pain meds for 3 months---tapered off as I went along. One does not become addicted when taking pain meds for pain. Some of us become a bit dependent and have to taper off slowly---but we are all able move on to OTC pain relievers.

This is a long recovery which is going to take a lot of TIME & PATIENCE on your part. You have to accept that the knee is in charge of everything for the time being and will need lots of TLC.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Well, I was operated on Tuesday the 8th at 2pm and released the 9th Wednesday at 3:30 pm. I had a really bad knee after an accident two years prior. I was barely able to walk. Other issues
1. Addisons disease
2. Pan Pituitary (no pituitary)
3. Multi autoimmune disease
4. Many herniated discs in back and neck'
5. Non operated knee very bad with bone on bone and torn meniscus.

Was doing great after day two. Only narcotic at night. Could walk without walker. PT came the 12th Saturday/ He was super jazzed he could stretch me and pushed on knee flexion hard. Since then, severe pain n leg, no sleep, need a pain med every 4 hours.

July 8th 2014

Wow, I am totally amazed that you were discharged from the hospital on the following afternoon. Sounds like you were doing really well until the PT came and worked on your knee. I really do hope you said something and are continuing your recovery with no problems!
 
@kneeper I am doing them gently and will see if too much. As the knee froze from being real limber and then that pt to very swollen and leg black all over and still with having to deal with the inability to stretch out at all anymore. Most of these are for stretching. Today I went to her, She was working more on stretching the back of the leg again. I have exercises 2 times a day and three visits a week there. Today was rough and she was even pressing down hard to stretch, but I can walk better. I was at bend at 90 up seven degrees. She said there is still a bunch of swelling but but is early. I am not sure why the push with me. Maybe because I gained 75 pounds since I hrt my leg July 2012 2 years ago or what.
 
@bottomshollow Thanks. I am going back to read all the tips in here. My pt is well respected and a friend of mine who is a nurse at a local Hospital Loma Linda is using her after her surgery. Hers is rotator cuff which I have had and nothing like this tkr in my humble opinion. I am going to stay on pain meds till this doesn't hurt this much .
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca Glad you are here. One day in hospital is amazing to me, I don't know how you did it. Please take it easy with PT. It was tempting to me to want to push...like I thought I could somehow heal faster.,.but it doesn't work that way. I'm sitting here in pain tonight fromPT earlier today. Unfortunately we just have to go slow.
 
good point @Gingiebot . When you look at that list Jo has in the Library of
"How Long does Healing Take," it reminds you of all the healing that's going on inside even as the outside is looking better.
 
@Gingiebot I hate to be wrong, but I have been miserable all day for my pt visit yesterday. One of the things she did is put my leg with a roll under ancle and push on the leg by the knee both above and below it. Then once they put stim and ice on it while ankle still on that roll, they put a 10 pound weight on top of that. I could only stand it for a few minutes then sat up, removed the roll and the weight. That was my day 15 therapy and only my third pt for my knee period.
 
@kneeper yup, gingiebot is correct. I am going to ask my pt why she is pushing so hard. I have military insurance and found they only allowed the one day because the hospital never told them the general and the meds had me throwing up the whole time I was there. I also was reading about icing on here and switched to a thinner towel. That seems to be helping the swelling better with a thin towel. Is there a time limit on how long to ice?
 
@skigirl I have reread your post a couple of times. After my pt yeaterday I am going to slow down but I am also very obese and this sitting is making it worse on pain, boredom and weight. At my dr appt they told me as of yesterday which was 7 days ago, I can swim. I know it will be more walking in the water a bit. Has anyone put together what we can and can't do in the water?
 
@ladymaxJust found to use the @. this is a repost
Hi Lady max Pain is bad but went to a new pT she said that the no pt after the man pushing too hard left me way too stiff. I started with her today. LOTS of exercises tha I can barely too but pain going down. Di not know how bad my rear and hips had become muscle wise. Taking a percoset every 5 hours and 2 800 mg ibrupofen a day.
 
@Roselover learned to use @ this was my response.There's 5mg of oxycodone and 325 acet. or 5-325 mg percocet generic it says take one to 2 every 4-6 hours for pain. I take one now every 4-5 hours and two at night
 
@letsgo @tiredwife @icep707 @kneeper Went back to try and answer all messages I missed before I knew about @ before the name I am finding that giving up all the pain meds except for night time may have to be rethought. Last night was the worst yet. Today my leg is screaming. I tried the 800 ibuprofen with my morning coffee but today it did nothing for the pain today. Guess I will go back to a pain med today. Seems like a backslide at day 12 post surgery. I have had only two pt appts, but instead of home, they will be sending me to a clinic now. I also can go to my club starting the 16th day so 4 more days. The pool should help. I am only up to 87 on my CPM and that feels like it will rip open my stitches or where the stitches are supposed to be dissolving. A good pt will give me at least more info. I have none of what to do.
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca Honey, you have got to get your PT people to lighten up! My date is June 10 so I have 4 weeks on you, and no way I could handle what you describe...especially the 10 pound weight! That is just wrong. Please read the BoneSmart materials and follow the guidelines. Yesterday my extension was 1 and my flex was 103. I think I can actually do better than that as I had a lot of swelling yesterday, but those are not bad numbers and I have never been tortured the way they are torturing you. I do hope to do better and will keep pushing, but I am doing fine and all my PT has been pretty gentle.

Next month I am entering a 3 month medical weight loss program, culminating in the gastric sleeve surgery. Both my private insurance and Medicare pay for this treatment if you have any medical condition affected by weight. I have sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, elevated cholesterol and blood pressure, and knee replacement. All of those things are qualifying conditions. I share this only because you mentioned you are very overweight, and most people don't know insurance will pay for this surgery. And while I am afraid of surgery, this will really help my heart and my knee. One of the main sources of wear on our new knees is excess weight. I want my implant to last forever as I never want to do this again, so I need to dump the weight. If this is not of interest to you, my apology.

In any case, take it easy with PT! Please!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom