TKR Hi. Glad I found you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to agree with everyone here. Don't let your PT hurt you! I would drop to two visits per week and tell them you are going to do it your way. Also take your pain meds as prescribed. Since you are in so much pain I would take two percocets every four hours. And Ice as long as you can. There is no time limit! I iced whenever I was sitting with ice packs during the day. Front and back of your knee. I used my ice machine all night long for the first seven weeks! I was thrilled that my OS had the same philosophy as Bonesmart when it came to icing! You are very early in your recovery. Be kind to your knee - it will get better!
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca I think some therapist just don't have a clue what is best for people! There is not a reason in the world for them to push or pull on your knee or leg. If it is needed then why do so many do just fine without it. My husband only had that happen once on the day he was discharged from the hospital and that woman will never touch him again! His ROM is just fine and his therapist don't touch him except to move the knee cap around and to hold that measure tool up to his leg. They tell him what to do and he does it, if it hurt he doesn't do it, and they find something else for him to do. Don't let them molest your knee.
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca Good! Be tough, you are the boss! In the long run I don't think surgeon's really leave directives about exercise. Hubby's just left it up to the therapist at the hospital to give him a list of the exercises and tell him how to do it. I'm sure he would have said something though if he wasn't pleased with hubby's results.
 
@Jozilla I was it upset to hear the pt assistants say I can't believe she wants a 10 pound weight on your leg. most patients can't stand just having to put their leg on the roll. much less adding the weight. This was after she was pushing down on t really hard. Moving forward to today over 24 hours later. I do have to say I can walk better. I am confused.
 
So long as you have something between your skin and whatever you're icing with there really isn't a time limit. I tended to ice until my leg gets cold-- maybe 30-40 minutes, take a break for maybe an hour and put a new gel pack on. As you move further out in your recovery you naturally go longer between ice sessions. I
 
There really is no need to have the weight on. You can do the extension exercise without weight, afaik.
 
@tiredwife Since the DR my not have input by choice or not perhaps I wonder if the military does. I looked up all I am allowed to have. It looks like a lot, but it is not as many visits as most. I can have swimming and a group exercise. only 12 stims. Gads. I am due back Monday and will see what I can make from my talk with her.
 
@kneeper This was after all my exercise there, her pushing on my leg and was when you are due for ice nd stem to calm things down that she wanted my leg left on the roll at at ankle and after the ice and bo, stem and bonnet to hold the ice was put on she wanted the 10 pound weight on there. I do notice that I can straighten it much better
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca It would depend on if you are regular tricare, tricare prime or the new tricare for life. Hubby is tricare prime. We had our choice of several in house PT which they covered 2 weeks of, and he had choices of outpatient pt (we chose the hospital) Which he just had his last one at 8 weeks. So far the bills haven't started coming in, but a statement from tricare said they had paid over $37,000 so far and our share would be $75.00.
 
@tiredwife I have tricare standard which is like a ppo. I pay 20% .Where I live there are not many places to pick from but my DR uses this one all over the state for his patients. It is a chain. I did not get home heath till I was home 4 days then it was screwed up and was only given two at home. I was given 24 hours in the hospital for surgery. By the time they approved more at home health, I had made them give me therapy at a facility which the place as who the doc wanted. I have been paying 24 per visit so far for each pt visit. I am tricare west
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The nice thing for me with Medicare is that between Medicare A and B, my Medicare Supplement Plan and my Part D Drug Plan my total out-of-pocket has been about $125.00. That includes my hospital stay from Monday until I transferred to in-patient re-hab that Thursday and discharge from there the following Wednesday, three follow-ups with my OS, approximately 10 weeks of out patient PT and all drugs. The majority of that $125 was the co-pay for the anti-coagulant shots I had to give myself for 10 days after coming home. The balance was co-pays for the pain meds and iron pills.
 
Hope you are feeling better! That is great news! And I am really glad it helped with your extension. I have just read and heard so many PT horror stories it scares me. As long as you are comfortable with what your PT did then that should be fine. I just know for me personally I would not use weights early on and would never let anyone push on my leg. They can measure me but not push on me! But I truly am glad you improved and your knee feels better. That is what matters the most. If your insurance does not pay for a lot of PT visits ask what their non insurance rate would be. Usually they will have lower rates or be able to work out an affordable payment plan. I had two weeks on in home PT and then eight sessions of outpatient. That for me was enough but we are all different. I hope you see continued improvement and less pain!
 
@Phil75070 I am not eligible for medicare at this point so am watching my bills like a hawk. The cpm that was delivered to me tagged on a 70 dollar charge, 50 for delivery and 20 for the covering. They did not intend to try and get that past tricare, so that said on delivery that it was not covered. When it didn't show on the bill I asked them why. It was insurance fraud. They can't get the money they want so they were upping cash only to people hoping we didn't understand insurance and negotiated rates.
 
@Jozilla Yeah feeling much better but still concerned how it got that way and how easily the force could have done something bad so am going to talk with the PT.
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca I believe tricare standard has an out of pocket cap. Don't know what it is, when you reach it you don't pay anymore, so make sure you keep your receipts. Glad you are feeling better. Take care of yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom