BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Here I go again!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by julesglass, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh jules i felt truly horrible for 4 days and then it started getting better. Today is your 4th day so i sure you will start feeling much better very soon. Good thoughts are coming your way

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

United States United States
    Hang in there, @julesglass, it can absolutely feel like a very bumpy ride early on. But you are getting better every day, you know, and soon you'll really start to notice little things that will encourage you and make you smile at your progress. Hoping you have a peaceful Sunday.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@julesglass sorry for the weird dreams, definitely chock them up to the meds. Hopefully you start to level out more and soon, I know you know it's temporary but still bites when you're in the middle of it. It does seem that one minute everything is still crappy and then next there is on so slight change. Hope you have a restful Sunday and get lots of snuggles from Lucy.
    :friends:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

So sorry you are having such a rough time of it first with pain and now with dreams. Things should eases up soon. Take care and I hope tonite you have no dreams.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

I hope that’s the last of those dreams! Maybe now that you’re home safe and reunited with Lucy, and little by little getting better every day, your dreaming mind will realize “it’s all good” too. This too shall pass...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Getting ready for my bed, no my recliner. Today has been a bit better, still haven't pooped yet. I keep saying "tomorrow, I will do it tomorrow ". I had asparagus with dinner and I'll eat some peaches for breakfast. My leg has been much more swollen than the first one. My homemade ice packs can't keep up with icing all day so I made another with ice cubes to let the others time to get ice cold. I have enough oxycodone to get through tomorrow. So I'll call first thing at 8am so they can get it in mail and should have new script Tues morning. Gotta get to work with my Aflac paperwork to receive benefits. It was late getting to me, before surgery not after. Deb's gone home for the night since I'm getting around good for the basics. She is such good company and has kept me fed. We have stacks of movies and good stories to tell. One of my friends has been stopping by and I had him turn my mattress for when I can get into bed. I'm comfy in my recliner however my bum is getting achy and sore. I might step out on my deck in the morning. Feeling good and it's not the meds. :loveshwr: take care to all!

• Like Like x 2
  7. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Ooh, I like this last report, @julesglass ! I had more swelling this second go around, too! I remember reading this over and over on BoneSmart -that no two hips are the same and now once again it's proving to be true.
    You sound like you've turned the corner and what a relief! Re: your meds and a refill.. my OS office is abel to email my script directly to the drugstore,, do you think that might be a possibility?
    I had to have a refill, so I called in the morning and my drugstore had it filled and ready for pick up by early afternoon. I hope this is the case for you, too.
    Look at us! We are double hippies! We are moving on up!! :yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  8. SelfHelp

SelfHelp member

@julesglass , I am sorry to hear that you had no BM yet. Hospital told us it was very important to make sure BM returned. Besides the stool softener medication I took, I also had a few prunes day after durgery. I had BM 6 hours later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. julesglass

julesglass graduate

No @CricketHip, has to be handwritten and hand delivered to pharmacy. Hadn't thought of prunes @SelfHelp figure a few peaches will do the trick. I've had alot of "air passes" so can't be much longer. Still just sleeping a couple hrs at a time figure that's because I'm still in my recliner. Going for the bed tomorrow! I don't think I mentioned I had found a t-shirt that said "contains aftermarket products" with a replacement hip on either side. That's what I wore coming home from hospital.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @julesglass i am sorry you have not pooped yet. I have been using something called lactulose that is quite effective. Not sure if you can get it over there? The hospital sent me home with it. I hope you can get your meds today and have one less thing to worry about

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Just woke up, needing ice and Tylenol. Got two hrs before taking pain med. They gave me a script for xarelto 10mg for stool softener that I've been taking regularly. I have to get paper work to employer today in case a new script for pain meds doesn't arrive tues. I hope this opioid problem doesn't interfere with getting what I need. This hip is totally different with pain level and swelling than the other. Take care @Fiona444.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ceezee

ceezee member

@julesglass
    I had trouble in the beginning too but Miralax finally worked for me.

My instructions were if I hadn’t had a bowel movement within 3 days I had to call the doctor as that was serious. I think you should call them and let them know about your difficulties.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  13. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Oh it gives me chills to hear of your pain. Get those narcs just squeak til they give them to you. I don't know if you have this but Metamucil is what worked for me-a natural product along with a lot of water and my usual am java. They gave me a prescription laxative which is not generally used by the public I think but I didn,t need it. Let us know the outcome. Oh another thing --chocolate.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Liking the update reference your pain and feeling better, sorry about the pipes being backed up. Hoping everything starts coming together for you. We're all getting there one step, one day at a time. Sending thoughts, prayers and healing hugs.
    :friends:

• Like Like x 1
  15. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

@julesglass, xarelto is a blood thinner ( I do not know if you mistyped) so you do not get a blood clot post surgery, as far as I know it does nothing for stool softening. Usually they tell us to pick up some senekot or other stool softener over the counter. Just wanted to make sure you knew since you need to take it for the prescribed length of time. For my knees I had to take it for a month and then to aspirin. After my hip, my OS changed his protocol to only aspirin post op. I hope you find relief soon. I found frozen grapes helped stimulate the insides as well as making sure I stayed very hydrated. Good thing I like tea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. julesglass

julesglass graduate

What!:gaah: blood thinner!! Nurse told me it was stool softener! No wonder I can't poop! :hissy: I'll send Deb out to get me something for my pipes tomorrow. Doc said because I'm a carrier for factor V he'd keep a close eye on blood clots, that nurse told me it was stool softener. Well, even in a hazey mind I've got to question everything. I did talk to nurse about pain meds this morning and told me they'd get the script in the mail.. "If" that happened I'll have script in the morning. If not.. I'll send @Elf1 to take care of that!:tantrum2: I hear she's good at taking care of business.:bignono: Got half hour till next pill, good night. Remember.... It's all good even when it's not.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It's not funny but I must confess I laughed when I read your last post @julesglass. Girl you need some prune juice!! glad to hear that your script should be in the mail. I am so sad for you that the scripts have to be mailed. Crazy how each state and Dr is different. I hope it arrives tomorrow! Sweet dreams :sleep:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@julesglass
    Xarelto is a blood thinner. I took it too. Maybe they should check up on that nurse...:whistle: I like prune juice...but I actually LIKE it, so I'm one of the weird hippies....and it worked...:heehee: Love your post above tho, sorry if it made me :giggle:.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@julesglass there's a meme/saying on FB something about when you have the choice to be a dragon or not, always be the dragon! :heehee:

I've got your back!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. julesglass

julesglass graduate

It's okay @CricketHip I was trying to to make light of a confusing thing. I had a bowl of raisin bran and just ate a row of fig bars. My mom is going to the store in the morning. She wanted to know if there was anything I wanted her to pick up. Hope she can find some prune juice, it was hard to keep on the shelves at Wal-Mart when I worked there, along with bleach another hot item. Got to thinking, maybe she said I'd need to pick up stool softener, I'll give her the benefit of doubt. :chinstroke: I knew I could count on you @Elf1. It's more fun to be the dragon at our age and watch the peasants scatter :yikes:.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1