Guest viewing is limited

THR here I am :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to share something nice..

Took my girls to a sprinkler park yesterday, hubby dropped us off by the gate and it's prob about a 500m or so walk around a lake to the sprinkler park.. So I was walking with my crutches and a random man said "wow what a dedicated parent.. Fantastic, well done!"
Which made me :-) :-) :-) and maybe tear up a little lol.. But gonna make sure I pay out forward and say something similar to someone else :-).
 
Hello
I hope you don't mind me joining in on this post but it seems that we may be at the same point post operatively and I am really trying to work out if I am making appropriate progress. I am 43 and had thr on the 2nd of May. I am still using two crutches and think I should be making better progress by now. How is your recovery going? I know I shouldn't compare but there is so little info out there - apart from the vague 'some people can return to work after six weeks!!' I could never manage that.
Susan
 
Hi susie1411 yes sounds like we had our hips done in same week. I ams till using 2 crutches because when I tried one I got back pain down one side. Am still not doing much in way off house work or cooking etc, just odd walks out of the house or around a supermarket. Only get odd aches and pains eg after supermarket or if done too much bending. Still on lots of pain kllers but gp wants me to gradually cut down.
How are you doing activity-wise/pain-wise/sleep-wise/medication-wise?
 
Hi Jellybean - yup looks like we are similar stage post op. Activity wise I am generally doing most things - can manage a walk around supermarket etc. I am able to do ironing (as I always do it siting down), and a bit of light cleaning - cant hoover though!! Pain wise not too bad, but today tired to cut back on co-dydramol but realise I may not be ready yet. I have been managing to get approx. 6 hours sleep at night - when I mentioned to my husband before the op that I would struggle to sleep on my back, he laughed and said I always sleep on my back (lol I never knew that). But am usually up to toilet or get back pain so 6 hours is max I get - not too bad. I just feel that I should be further on by now, I think I assumed that because I was a little younger than the 'average' THR patient that I should be making faster progress. Just a little impatient. I think the lack of contact with medical professionals once you are discharged from hospital means you can feel a little lost. My family have been great but finding this forum is great because you all know how I feel.....
Susan
 
jellybean beckylou susie1411 wow it's great the three of you found each other! (We need a forum tool for searching/sorting members by age etc!)
Susan, I don't think you're allowed (on here anyway LOL) to compare your recovery to anyone else's. Your hip is your hip, even if you are 10-20 years younger than most. If you don't compare, you will take things as they come at you, rather than always peeking out of the corner of your eye to see what everybody else is doing LOL.
jellybean it sounds like you're finding a good balance of activities. That man in the park was really nice!:)
beckylou YES get the nanny-- you will not regret it. Beans and rice for a couple of months and you'll never know you paid her!:wink:
 
Hi everyone not posted for a few days.. My 6 week check up is tomorrow! Can't believe it's been 6 weeks!
 
[Bonesmart.org] here I  am :-)
jellybean, yes, waiting with bated breath!
 
heh jellybean! 6 weeks, time flies. I can't believe the better part of month has gone since my surgery....hardly have had time to be bored.

susie1411 - a nurse in hospital said to me that "unfortunately recovery for the younger hip patients can be more difficult". I asked why and she prattled on a bit about muscle tone making it harder for soft tissue knit back (sounds like hobble gobble) and not resting, expectations....blah blah. That put it out of my mind pretty early on that I would be a star recovery patient. Good thing too because it feels like I am creeping at times!!
 
beckylou jellybean I was operated on three days before you. I think that we are at a frustrating point in recovery. My precautions were lifted at five and a half weeks, and I thought I would be able to do everything. I'm not. If I bend over too far I strain my back, and if I sit on too low a seat I ache. The difference between week two and three was enormous; the difference between six and seven, not so much.

And, jellybean, the guy in the park was right. You are a great parent.
 
Thanks guys, an hour and a half each way for a super short nurse check up that was less thorough than my own go check up last week. Oh well. She gave me a shoe lift for my leg length and said the consultant might wanna see me in October.
 
jellybean and that's IT? I'm going to guess that you are doing just fine, then. If they just run on auto-pilot they must be seeing exactly what they hoped to see. But yes, surely there must be a person to call with your questions! Other than the let-down, how are you doing?
 
jellybean how are you feeling now. They must be happy with your progress, but I know how frustrated you must feel. I have my six week appointment on Tuesday so hoping it is a bit more informative than yours has turned out to be. Did they suggest when you would be back to 'normal', any idea of their expectactions before your next appointment. Are you able to drive and if so did they give you the ok for that? Hope you are not to disheartened.
 
I often think we are discharged from hospital, and don't get to see our OS for six weeks, ring me if you have problems... But that first six weeks is filled with questions with no answers (unless you come to BS) :) But it is so good to get that six week reassurance - good luck !
 
Poppet I agree I have no complaints about my care in hospital, but do feel a little abondoned since my discharge. As you say they do say to phone if you have questions but I would be on the phone all the time and I didnt like to bother them!!! Not sure what the answer is as regular appointments with a consultant would clog up the system and make the wait for an op even longer. Maybe if you saw 'someone' after four weeks for a little reassurance it would help.
 
susie1411, I actually saw my OS at 4 weeks only because 6 weeks ran into the Xmas break. But for the 12 month check it is x-rays and my OS will review them and let me know if he needs to see me.. I made an appointment anyway.. Wanted reassurance!

The next review, same process is 4 years.. But I will see him Sept this year to check out the other hip and the next year.. I certainly prefer to discuss the x-rays in person with my OS.. apart from his expert opinion, he is a honey! ..
 
Hi everyone. I'm beginning to feel bitter than I didn't get a consultant check up after the 6 weeks like I expected. I'm aching quite a lot ATM and not sleeping so good. I have almost run out of cocodamol though so I guess that might be why, as I have cut them right down to once a day. Will up them again, I have desperate codeine and paracetamol and can get more cocodamol on Mon., I ordered them year. Also been walking a bit more and doing more laundry/tidying. Feels like I have been on the gym or something. Really thought I should be back to normal by now, don't know whether to go see gp again. I got my letter for my next hospital check up on 12th Dec lol
 
jellybean. I am just a few days ahead of you, and I have been using the Bonesmart cocktail, alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen on bad days, since my surgeon does not approve of stronger pain meds after the third or fourth week. It really helps. I would not describe myself as back to normal, though I am doing lots more. When I do I find I have to rest, ice and elevate. Seeing the gp may be a good idea.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom