THR here I am :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh Guy next to me was a bilateral knee, so nothing to fight off there! He did have a big family with loads of kids visiting. Me, I told everyone to stay away, shoved in earplugs and rested as much as possible. But I was squashed up against a wall and there was no room for visitors anyway. I think its just that particular hospital... badly needs a renovation.
 
Just a few questions, will I do any damage if I walk with no crutches for a short distance? I left them in a shop today and had to send hubby back for them lol

Also after showering this morning I forgot the surgical stockings, I am not worried so far as I have been on the move a lot but I have felt solo much better without them irritating me! Not sure what I am asking here, should I be worried? I've not put them back on yet either but if I am in for a telling off I will!
Hubby is back into work on Tuesday so I'm thinking of resuming school runs in a taxi and hopefully building up to walking the 3/4 of a mile one way by the time they go back after may half term (this week is last week of school then a week off)when they go back it will be week 5 of my recovery. So what are your opinions on trying to walk that far? Bear in mind I have one in school full day and one half day sn it adds up to 4.5 miles a day in total
 
Also I had trendellenburg gait/bad limp before surgery, because hip was collapsed. They said before I was discharged that my pelvis was halfway between how tilted it was before and normal. Will there be exercises to correct this and when should I be starting them?
 
[Bonesmart.org] here I  am :-)
jellybean, being without your crutches for a short while should not hurt anything as long as you are reasonably stable walking without them. But you will need a walking aid until you get your gait corrected which could take you some time.


Forget the TEDs (compression hose), there is NO evidence that they actually keep one from getting a blood clot. They help some people with swelling, but mostly they are just a pain in the you know what:heehee: .

I think you are over optimistic about being able to walk 4 1/2 miles a day 5 days a week so early here in recovery. I really think your body would rebel big time with lots of aches and pains you really don't want to deal with.

Yes, there should be exercises that will help correct your pelvic tilt and get you properly lined up again. Just talk with your PT about it.

I have found an avatar that I thought you might like to use. It is already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested it. Just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". The click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done.

[Bonesmart.org] here I  am :-)
If you are not interested, my feelings will not be hurt. I just enjoy doing this when the opportunity presents itself.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] here I  am :-)
 
Thanks so much for the avatar help bottomshollow :)

And all the advice too, I am not meaning I will walk 4.5 miles any time soon, that's just what i need to do in a normal day eventually, my hubby works 3 or 4 day shifts too so some weeks he will work fri sat sun and mon and then have the rest of the week off so that's handy for getting the kiddos to school. A taxi to school and back is only £4 so pennies really so will use when needed.

Will def use crutches out of the house as I don't want to end up making this wonky gait a permanent thing. Am going to start taking little walks around the block when hubby takes the dog out each morning. I won't see a PT until my 6 week check at the hospital in the middle of June.
 
just worked out hubbys shifts and the first week after half term he has 3 and a half days off, second week 3 and 2 half days off, third week 3 and a half days off, fourth week 2 and a half days off, 5 weeks one and a half days, weeks 6 two half days and week seven one and a half days. so a lot of days off at the beginning so that's all good for me to ease into it. Will be 12 weeks post op at start of summer hols so hoping to go out for some seaside day trips etc!
 
3 week point for me today. Feeling great, had a long snooze on sofa yesterday afternoon. Hoping to go into town again this week for a spot of shopping, I looked at the shopping centre map and the shops i want to go to are close to the lift to the car park so shouldn't be a problem. I need a few summer outfits now its getting warmer. Also going to look into getting a pedicure, I hate people touching my feet but think it will have to be the way forward.
 
Also time is not going so slowly now, I told someone yesterday I had op four weeks ago.

Not sure if I mentioned before but I am a registered childminder (home daycare to you us peeps) but I don't have any mindees waiting for me to return to work as we moved house after Christmas. After my 6 week check I am going to have some postcards printed so I can do a letterbox drop advertising that I will start work in September.
 
Why not get a manicure too jellybean! Happy to see you're really up and around taking little walks around the neighborhood after just 3 weeks! An inspiration you are :SUNsmile:!
 
Urgh am not coping now. This is husbands 4th day at work and i am in agony. Getting the kids ready for school is a million times more hard work than it was before. Getting clothes out for them, making 1 packed lunch and 2 snacks and helping them to get dressed. And I didn't even take them, a charity volunteer picked them up. Last night I was so stressed with the pain it gave me a pounding headache. Had no idea what to feed them, had to look through every drawer in freezer which is low so it hurt and then putting sausages in an out of oven. I was a wreck by the time husband came in at 7. He is not preparing things like he promised because going back to work is exhausting him after 3 weeks off. He fell asleep when he got home and I had to wake him to remind him i couldn't wash dishes. Feel like it's all going wrong an what is worse is the kids now have a week off school and I don't know how i am going to cope. I have a telephone appt with my gp later this morning to ask if there are stronger painkillers that will help me better. Excuse the rant.
 
ellasmummy Please put your anxiety at bay, you will be in great hands with your OS. Believe me when I tell I was scared to death and now I don't know why. When I woke I was a new women without that horrible pain that I had walked in with, just hours before. I was one of the lucky one that after surgery my pain was at zero and continues to be that. The only discomfort I MAY have are getting my muscles back to where they need be but that is not pain to me, trust me when I say everyday is a new day and I feel better than the day before. Please keep in mind everyone handles pain differently, recovery is different and unique but the one thing we do have in common is that horrible hip pain. We are here for each other which I believe will always keep us bonded. We laugh, cry, get fustrated, yell, get mad but you know what? It makes you feel better and friends here on BS make you feel better because they (we) do know what you are going through. I credit this forum to my success in my recovery. And for that I thank my hippy family each and everyone of them.
 
Had my telephone consultation with gp. He has prescribed something else to take morning and evening for ten days then wants to see my after the ten days, immediately after I got off the phone I forgot what they were called though. Hubby can pick them up between 1 and 2 so will see what they are then. . My mum has said if hubby can deliver kids to her this weekend then the will deliver them back next weekend. Hate to do this but think it will be best for them.
 
That is an excellent idea, and I am sure the children will enjoy seeing Nanna and you and hubby can get some rest :)

My hubby took six weeks off, he slept when I slept, perhaps more most nights.
 
jellybean, I hope the new pills help with the pain. I know its hard handing the kids over to your Mam as you want to do the caring for them. Just enjoy the "me time" Once the pain is under control you will be better able to handle the every day tasks.
Sending hugs Barbara
 
Hi, jellybean ... I so hope the new pills and your mum's plan will alleviate some of the stress. All that stuff you were doing around the house, argh! I felt your pain. Household tasks, plus with kids, it all adds up to a LOT for someone as close to surgery as you. Please don't despair. Easy for me to say. I think "this too will pass" and "one step at a time" are two things to keep telling yourself. I know, it's only words ... but maybe it will help. The recovery road is very different for so many of us; we expect that the absence of the arthritis pain will overshadow the day to day pain and difficulties, but sometimes it does not. Please hang in there, keep posting when you are up to it, and no that you are not alone. Though I know it may feel that way sometimes.
 
It's tramadol I have been given. Not sure why I would forget that when i got of the phone, I have heard of them enough times. Hopefully they will help me.
I was v organised at the start of the week and had easy meals to cook, i accepted that my kids diets wouldn't be great for a few weeks but frozen vegetables, microwave rice, quick cook pasta and frozen things like sausages or pieces of salmon have helped, yesterday though think i aggravated hip because i had to look through every drawer of freezer to find what i wanted (also freezer drawers are quite stiff to open and shut) and then bent to put in oven. I realise now i am thinking straight i could have used the grilling function on the microwave. Will try and remember to get hubby to look in morning and move the things i need to the top freezer drawer.
I'm now thinking i could stay at my mums with the kids for the week. Depends whether i will be comfortable on the 3 hr car trip or not. I would be better at their house as they have walk in shower rather than over the bath tub like here, also they have more comfortable chairs rather that just the sofa i have here. They also have already got the toilet seat risers etc.
 
Morning jellybean
It is very difficult when you have so much to cope with. Even now I do a little and then rest. It will all become easier. The problem I still have is the lack of energy but again it will get better xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom