Guest viewing is limited

THR here I am :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, just thought I would update. Am feeling great now and getting much more sleep. My husband even went out for the afternoon yest to the fa cup final and me and the kids were just fine. They even tidied up after themselves which I hope they will get into the habit of, lol. My oldest daughter is 6 tomorrow so we have that excitement going on, we have a tradition of going out for tea on birthdays but I think we might go today instead

I had my dressing changed on Thursday at the practice nurse and she had to put one new steristrip back on as there was a bit that wasn't quite healed. So not had a shower yet as she said keep that bit dry a few more days. I am not desperate for a shower though as been having my "bird baths" and washing hair over sink, and our shower is over the bath which I know is a bit questionable with the restrictions. What does everyone think, when were they able to step into a bathtub?
 
Hi jellybean, so was your husband happy or sad with the result yesterday, mine was glad the underdog won. Wow your kids tiding up is great news and like you say that'd be a really good habit to get into but I guess you're not holding your breath. Hope you all have a lovely birthday tea and that you are ok and manage to enjoy it, happy birthday jellybean jr. :SUNsmile: I had a dressing on my wound that kept the water out and was able to take a shower within a few days, isn't it strange that not all hospitals use them, it'd be so much easier to wash your hair in the shower. I'm lucky to have a separate shower cubicle but yesterday I managed to get a bath and it was wonderful, tricky getting in and out but my bath is a very tall roll top bath and I only have short legs so a normal bath would probably be easier to get into. Check my thread, I explained, well tried to, how I got in and out. :heehee:
 
When I got home after being in a rest home for pt I was able to get into the tub and shower. There is no place like home. Take care and make sure you rest , elevate, ice, and pain control around the clock. Tashia
 
jellybean I couldn't get into my shower for about a 1 1/2 weeks, it was sponge baths for me and sitting in a chair with my head back someone washing my hair with pitcher & basin. My tub is a little different has a step up which makes it wider than a normal tub. I had a shower chair was able to have it the same height and slid my butt from the chair onto the side of the tub stood up (this was a total pain). By the middle of the 2nd week I was able to lift my leg behind me enough to clear the tub that was the greatest. You will feel wonderful when you get to take that first shower.
 
jellybean You will love that first shower after so long, and it'll come soon! If you have a physical therapist, you may want to check on getting into the tub, because it could be a big leg lift over the side. I don't know what your restrictions are. I was able to step into a shower stall pretty easily so I didn't have to try the tub yet.

A tea sounds like a very nice way to celebrate a birthday. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
 
jellybean, I have a shower over the bath , I have a bath board so I back up to the bath sit on the board then ease my legs into the bath. I have a grab rail fixed to the wall and pull myself up to standing to shower. I had waterproof dressings on so could shower straight away.
 
Thanks all I may look into the cost of a board as that sounds much easier to me.

Well, we had a good meal out and next door there was an asda. I can not resist asda. So I shopped. It was good, no pain, I'm just tired now, and very happy after change of scenery for the afternoon :-)
 
Hi all, nothing much to report except had back ache after I baked a cake yesterday so taking it easy today. Oh and am getting fed up of these damn stockings! 4 weeks to go!
 
I was very lucky. Phoned myOS office and spoke to the Practice Manager about my plan to have a massage and just as a try on asked if zi still had to wear the stockings....that was at 3 weeks....she said' no that will be fine. You're active and so no probs. felt like I'd won the lottery!
 
I was allowed to leave them off during the day from about 3 weeks, 'because you're moving round' but to keep them on at night when you're still. They're not a good look are they, mine were bottle green, nice.............got them to look forward to again!! :gaah:
 
Littlejem Elosarabrab Mine are also white hospital told me leave on during the day and off at night. It really cracks me up on how there is such a difference. But heck they didn't even practice what they preached as I was in there for 4 days and the only time they came off is when I begged for a basin for a bath. Its not like they couldn't find time each station on that floor only had 5-6 patients to contend with. Absolutely mind blowing, don't get me wrong I had excellent care except me wanting a bath....must be I didn't stink enough:rotfl:
 
Mine are not so bad then, dark grey... They are just annoying! Keep getting a little wrinkly bit and having to get hubby to adjust


Liveringer after breakfast every day they brought basin automatically, removed stockings for us, washed feet and legs, gave them a good dry and put back on. Didn't love it as hate someone washing between my toes.. Now at home I just sploosh them about in basin. But I guess it was better the. No wash at all! And then after that we lined up for bathroom to was rest of ourselves.
 
I don't have any more appointments till 6 week check to ask if I can take them off but when I am more active I may sneak them off for some time each day
 
jellybean I was flat on my back for 3 days in the hospital and they never offered a basin of water to me. The only thing I got was a package of warmed up wipes to use. Luckily I had my family there to help me out with that. The nurses were very nice, though.
 
ByGosh Here in Canada I went 4 days without any help except routine pain med delivery. Mind you the ward was packed to the gills. There were 4 patients (men and women) in a room the size of a private room in most hospitals. But it could have been worse: one poor guy did his recovering out in the hall, next to the nurses' station. No privacy, no dimmed lights, not even a quiet moment.
 
Vida Sounds terrible, the poor guy! He must have been exhausted. I hope they delived his pain meds to him on time! He sure woud need them, just to try and get some sleep. They should've delived him ear plugs, too.
Are your hospitals always so crowded there? I was in a private room on a floor that only had private rooms and only had joint replacement patients. My family members could even stay overnight. But still no basin, no backrub, just vital signs and medication. I even had a pain pump, so they didn't have to do that for me. Nothing like years ago when they gave bed baths, back rubs twice a day, passed out juice in the evening, etc.
And you were in a room with men? That doesn't sound very comfortable, if only for modesty's sake! The nurse's must have been working very hard on that floor. (trying to help you fight off the men LOL :rotfl: )
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom