Guest viewing is limited

Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, ask for the "happy juice". They will give you a sedative to make you calm and comfy. Please don't worry cornishhedge - everyone understands you are anxious!
 
Thank you Jaycey,

Will do.!!

Probably they will be only too pleased to give it to me to shut me up lol.

Angie
 
You must readjust your thinking, my dear. First this isn't abnormal. I'd be more concerned about you if you weren't anxious! If I'd had a pound for every patient who's told me in the holding bay or anaesthetic room that they were scared, I'd now be an extremely wealthy woman!

Secondly, try to think of it more as anxiety than being scared. Saying 'scared' is negative input and you don't need that right now. Say anxious or apprehensive then you won't feel so embarrassed about it!

Lastly, you will find on the day that the system takes over and you are so busy doing things and talking with nurses, anaesthetists and surgeon, you won't have time to get anxious!
 
Thank you for your reply Josephine.

It makes total sense what you said.

I do actually suffer badly from anxiety state, therefore it is in fact anxiety.

I think maybe using the word scared is because I am Cornish and we do say things differently to others. He he . It's true!!!

Thank you for your concern.

Angie
 
[Bonesmart.org] Help needed.
Angie, when those negative thoughts start creeping in, make it point to counteract them with the most positive things you can think of. Worry gives small things a big shadow, so we need to bring a lot of sunshine to our thinking to dispel them. And a positive attitude is one of the best things for a good recovery.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Help needed.
 
Hi Angie,
I'm so sorry I'm just now catching up with you. However, I am so glad to hear you have a surgery date! Of course, it's one that you can cancel, I know. :heehee: I fretted over my surgery and then I fretted some more when it was over. It was all just a big waste of time, the fretting, not the surgery. Ha ha! I had very little post op pain, my scar is only 5 inches long and it healed quite nicely. I feel so much better now that I've had it done. Honestly, I did not expect to feel this good. It's almost like it's to good to be true. I know this is easier said than done but do try to think positive thoughts and let the "what's if's" fall to the way side. I'm so excited for you and I think you'll be tickled pink with your new hip. I feel that it's a blessing to be living in times when medicine has come this far and there's a surgery that can correct our worn out hips. Hang in there, we'll get you through it.

Hugs,
Weezi
 
I'm still around!!!!!

Still got poorly hip.!

Went for my pre op assessment , refused me the op !!!!

I have ear infection, groin infection, wheezy chest. Therefore they refused until infections are gone.

Well that was oh I don't know ages ago.

Had very strong antibiotics for ear, this gave me dreadful thrush which I still have.
Had to see vulva specialist, the cream she gave me made it worse.
So had another appointment with her on Friday.

More cream hopefully will do the job.

My ear is still bad so will go to doc again on Monday.

I have to call pre op assessment unit once I am clear.

In the meantime my mother has been blue lighted to hospital twice, fell yesterday in her bathroom. My husband had to sort her out because I can't walk now. She lives in flat but there are two flights of steps. 26 in all. She hurt her arm and back and isn't too good today.

So have had a rough time lately, hence not being on here much.

I am however preparing myself, as I am so anxious I have been having hypnotherapy , she is also a phsycologiist . We've been exploring my anxiety problems. I don't even know if the hypnotherapy is working, no idea if I ... Go off ... Or not.
She is very good and I am sure she is helping.

So that's me caught up for a while.

I'm still totally petrified , still thinking about it every waking moment, still convinced I'm not going to survive. I do however realise one good thing, I'm not the only one!!!!!

It's good reading all the posts they are very helpful and informative.


Angie
 
Wow Angie, you are dealing with so much! All that and the prospect of surgery - of course you are anxious. Just take things a day at a time. If that's too much, try moment to moment. We are here to help you through!
 
cornishhedge, There are so many things in your comments that remind me of how I felt when I first heard I "qualified" for hip replacement. My doctor (who has treated me for foot and Achilles tendon problems, and has also given me shots for my knees and hip bursitis), said "Do you think you are ready?" I stared at him in shock and silently said to myself, "You must be crazy!" Like you, I thought that there had to be another way. When I came home and told my husband about the visit, he said, "Wonderful! Let's get started! Who did he refer you to?" I started to cry, and said, "I'm not going to have this huge surgery just because I 'qualify.'" It sounded as though I'd won a prize in a contest, but I didn't want it.

I think the reason the doctors say "call me when you are ready" is because they don't want to seem to be pushing you to do something -- that they don't want to seem to be "building a bill." They want you to make your own decision.

In any case, my husband (who has been through many surgeries, unlike me) talked me through the whole thing, very tenderly, pointing out all the ways my life has shrunk and diminished and my personality has changed. He told me how painful it was for him to watch this happening and be unable to do anything. He pointed out that this isn't going to get better and that it would be wrong for me to have to face another year with the horrifying pain I'd experienced all last year, and even before.

With his encouragement, I did find the strength to move forward, and it took visits to two doctors to find the surgeon I wanted to do my procedure. This website has taught me so much, and taken away all my fears. My surgery is tomorrow and I can't wait. Knowledge is power. Like you, I didn't think I should have this kind of surgery as long as I could still walk at all. Now I know that if you wait too long it only makes it harder, because your joint continues to deteriorate. Just in the past two months, all the space in my hip joint has vanished. An x-ray today showed that the joint space is completely closed.

Don't wait any longer to take the first steps toward recovery and a whole new pain-free life. Don't wait to reclaim the joy of movement that is your rightful heritage. This surgery is one of the miracles of modern science. Your mom was a pioneer, and even though she had some bad effects at the time, it sounds as though she is still going strong after all these years. Prior generations wound up crippled, in bed or a chair, tormented through the last phases of their lives. We don't have to face that.

If you want a pill for courage, visit BoneSmart twice a day, for 20 minutes, and it will give you all the courage you need. I am such a coward that I can't even stand getting an injection at the dentist to have a tooth filled. But I have no fear going into surgery tomorrow -- none at all -- because of all the knowledge and support I've gotten on this website. When I saw my doctor today (for an x-ray) he asked whether I had any questions, and I said, "Yes! What do you think is going to happen in Syria?" He had no comment on that. I told him to get a good night's sleep and that I was looking forward to the surgery tomorrow. He did a double-take, and looked pleased, but somewhat confused. I guess he is used to people being terrified before surgery, but he doesn't know many BoneSmarties. Now you are one.

Carpe diem! Seize the day!
 
cornishhedge, Oh, Angie, our postings crossed. I am sorry you are having so many challenges all at the same time. Anyone would feel overwhelmed.

One thing to keep in mind is that the doctor didn't reject you as a candidate for surgery. He said that the time isn't right now, because of your infections. They need to be cleared up, first. Could you talk to your doctor about taking "probiotics" (available over-the-counter) while you are taking the antibiotics? They have helped my husband (and me as well) tremendously. What happens is that the antibiotics wipe out the bacteria in your system -- good bacteria as well as bad -- and then you get yeast infections, thrush, nasty things like that. The "probiotics" restore your natural system, and prevent the yeast infections and thrush. I now take them whenever I have to take antibiotics which -- fortunately -- is not often.

This is a setback, not an end to your journey. You want to be in the best possible condition for the surgery, so that there won't be complications. My husband, who is a real "Type A" -- impatient with most things (except for with me) -- is also totally patient with airline delays, however annoying. He was in a plane crash once, and his attitude now is, "If the pilot wants to fly, I want to fly. If the pilot doesn't want to fly, I don't want to fly." We once spent about 12 hours marooned in the airport in St. Louis, and he was the soul of patience when everyone else was mad with irritation. The seats weren't any more comfortable for him than for us. It is all a matter of perspective, Angie. You want this done, but it has to be done right. You want it to remove the current problems, not create new ones.

Be strong, and be brave. You are braver than you realize. "Courage is not the absence of fear; it is feeling the fear and doing it anyway."
 
BeckyR, post: If you want a pill for courage, visit BoneSmart twice a day, for 20 minutes, and it will give you all the courage you need!


Great prescription BeckyR!
 
BeckyR thank you so much for your replies Becky.
It's today that your having your new hip. I was thinking about you today.

I will follow you on the other side.

I do take the probiotics , still got the thrush at the moment.

I did smile when you told me about your conversation with the surgeon. How wonderful. Bet he doesn't hear that too often.

Hope all went well for you today.

I'm just waiting to get rid of these infections then I can contact the pre op unit. That's what I've been told to do. So not sure when that will be.

Anyway thank you for your inspiration .

Good luck
Angie
 
Dear Angie -- I certainly sympathize with your fear -- oops -- anxiety about the surgery. For me, when I first heard I'd have to have hip replacements, my feeling was pure unmitigated terror. I had put it off until I can barely walk, even with two canes, simply because of fear. I lost a couple years of my life to pain and decreasing mobility because of the fear. I now have a date for surgery on my first hip, September 30. With the help of the kind folks on this forum, I have been able to ramp my terror down to anxiety. When those awful fear thoughts start to creep into my mind, I try to catch 'em right away and say "NO!" out loud to them. It helps, though I think sometimes people around me think I'm a bit strange. And it sometimes confuses my dogs, because they can't figure out what they were doing to make me say "NO!" I'm 67, and I figure I've got a whole buncha life left in me if I can just get rid of this pain and get back on my feet, both figuratively and literally. I'm sure you do, too!

By the way, I met a lady today who is 90 and she just had a hip replaced a few months ago and she is doing great. She said he only regret is that she didn't do it sooner. She goes all over the place and is even driving again. Hope I'm that good at 90.

I hope you get rid of those awful infections so you can proceed!

Love and peace to you.
 
Dear Angie

I'm never quite sure about the etiquette of which thread I should reply on when I've read a post from someone on another thread. (If you see what I mean...)

Anyway, this is just to say I'm glad the story of my accident made you smile. Sounds like you need smiles, at present. There were a lot more crazy things that happened that day, but it could have been so much worse. I think the moral of the story is: Never achieve your lifetime's ambition.

As for me being brave... absolutely not. Not in the slightest. That day it was all a question of, Well, this has to be done. Let's just get on with it. It would have been an entirely different matter if my husband hadn't been with me. He had so much to do in the days after my surgery, dealing with 3 different insurance companies, and trying to get us home when many of Europe's airports were closed due to ice. (Remember the weather early 2010?) And all that, of course, with the added little soupcon of fun... the language barrier.

But back to you, and I've just briefly read through your story. As far as I can make out, you began to realise in your heart of hearts that this surgery was necessary around January this year. I know you've had a couple of problems since then, but it is now August, and it's great that the ball seems to be rolling again.

You say "I have this feeling he will get me in quick..." Good for him!

Go for it, babe!

All the best.

Glynis
 
Hi Glynis ,

Just got back from seeing OS.
Very nice chap. Just said its really bad and if you don't have a total hip replacement you won't be able to walk much longer!!!!!!
Nice!!

So had MRSA swab and am back on the list. No mention of how long. I do know his list isn't too long.

So have just sent hubby to town to buy bits for hospital. Thought I would take lavender oil for my pillow cos I do that every night at home.

Still a bit funny about it all. When I got refused by the pre op team it made me think ah ha ! Postponed a little longer. (Stupid )

Now today it's definate so am bit strange.

All day yesterday I kept reading the posts on here of people who are on the other side. I thought it best to be more positive lol.

Oh well !

Angie
 
cornishhedge I'm so glad you went back to the doctor about your hip. So, will you get a date soon?

At my appointment with the OS, they gave me my date -- they want you on the list soonest, so you don't have to wait any longer than you have to. I got on the list July 18, and the soonest date was September 30. I wish mine was sooner so I can get this over with. I"m tired of pain and not being able to do anything except hobble to the bathroom and kitchen with two canes.

Anyway, you sound like you are doing a bit better all around. Has the hypnotherapist helped you? Did she give you any tricks or nuggets you can pass along? I thought of seeking that kind of therapy, but I don't think I can afford it now with all the other stuff. I've been considering acupuncture to see if it would help with the pre-op pain. There's a couple of acupuncturists on my HMO, so I would only have a co-pay. Don't know how much, tho. Maybe I should seriously check into it.

Peace and love to you

Milli
 
I'm glad you had a good meeting with your surgeon, and that you found him "a very nice chap". Having a good relationship with him will be a real help to you.

Well done on being pro-active. Good idea to start getting your hospital bag ready. All part of a good, positive attitude. Let everyone know when you have a date. You may find someone else has the same date as you.

Glynis

ps My husband would not appreciate your user name. When we are in Devon and Cornwall he always complains about the high hedges obscuring the view on narrow lanes!
 
Hi. Butterfly,

Thanks for your reply.

No he didn't give me a date. I have a feeling it will not be long.
I'm not so good still got the migraine, which is unbelievable how long it's lasted. I think it's the stress.

Well in not sure if the hypnotherapy has helped me. It's very expensive and no she hasn't really given me any tips . Not ones that I found helpful. I've had acupuncture butterfly, didn't do a thing for me. I spent hundreds of pounds on it. Didn't do anything.!!!

I know how you feel about getting it over with. I feel the same .
I'm still full of anxiety about it. I'm sure it's giving me the head aches. If they continue I will go to the doctor next Monday.

glynis ha ha high hedges indeed!!! Got to say since we got our new car it's higher and we can see over the high hedges lol. Do you know I have seen things or rather lovely views, that I didn't know we're there till we got the higher car, it's nice.
Don't know if you know the back road to St Ives ? Well I saw a view there that is unbelievable. You can see so far round that you can actually see the arc of the earth. Just amazing I love it.

Have ordered some slippers today. Shouldn't be on this really with my bad head. Oh well.

Angie
 
Hi there cornishhedge... I do hope you get a quick date.. Once you get to hospital the process flows so quickly that you won't have much time to think and remember it is your surgical teams day job, ask for the happy juice, it sure helps :)
 
cornishhedge Hi, any news yet on your date? How's your mother doing? How are YOU doing. This waiting is a hard time. I've been using a walker the last couple days and it has made things easier for me and doesn't aggravate the pain like the two canes did. My DIL and grandsons put little ramps of wood in my house for the one or two steps up and down to levels in my house, and to get out the front door. This has all made a huge difference for me. I was able to get out by myself yesterday and do a couple errands, and was quite proud of myself. Funny how the little things you never even thought about make such a big difference -- like going to the drug store by yourself. I felt like a hero!

Peace and love to you.

Milli
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom