Guest viewing is limited

Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angie, if you want to ask Orthodoc a question, all you have to do is tag him. You do this by putting @ right before Orthodoc (NO space in between), then ask your question. When you "Post Reply" if you wait and look at your post, you will see that "Orthodoc" has changed to blue and is underlined. He will get an alert notice at the top of his forum page and then can respond to you.
 
Orthodoc, hello I wanted to ask a question.

I take tenormin for fast heart rate. I have also had fluid around the heart. I don't know if an ECG would be enough of a check on my health.
I had lots of them but the fluid was not found until I had a scan.
Also I am scared that the stress of the operation will bring on the rapid heart rate. I hate it so much.

Will I have to stop the tenormin to have the operation? I have tried stopping it in the past and for days my heart goes extremely fast. Very very scary.

Thanking you in anticipation

Angie
 
Angie,
I've been reading your thread and want you to know that I am a big worry wart myself. I imagine all kinds of things that can go wrong and will fret and fret. In fact, I am driving my husband crazy with the things I bring up to be concerned about. I am trying real hard to keep myself distracted so my mind won't go there but it always finds a way back. LOL! I am proud of you for moving forward. It took me months to get my surgery scheduled. Hang in there girl and please know you are certainly not alone in this.
 
Hi weezi .
Thank you for your post. I see you have not got much longer to worry. Your brave, and you have my best wishes for your operation.

Don't know what to say to you about our problem!! Nasty old worry hate it.

I'm still worried, still telling myself its not really that bad. ( phew) still thinking I will wake up tomorrow and it will be a lovely normal hip there!!!!!!! It's a sort of kid myself routine everyday. How silly eh?

It's on my mind as soon as I open my eyes, then when that secretary told me its a four week wait. Frightened me. Oh silly old twit. Lol

I am sending ou good vibes from today till the 5th.

Angie
 
Hi CH I might tag Jo our resident Orthopedic specialist nurse... Jo has seen everything in her 50+ years nursing in this speciality Josephine
 
I take tenormin for fast heart rate. I have also had fluid around the heart. I don't know if an ECG would be enough of a check on my health.
Angie, of course it will be sufficient. You must bear in mind that tachycardia is a very common condition and the doctors are well used to dealing with people like you. You should read this article How do I know I will be safe during the operation? so you know you will be safe during your surgery. I know tachycardia (the medical name for a fast pulse) is unsettling but it's rarely of any significance.
 
Cornishhedge,

As a general rule, OS have their patients stop NSAID medicines before surgery. We also have our patients stop their other medicines on the day of surgery. However, there are some exceptions to these cases. One exception is heart medicine that effects blood pressure such as Tenormin. Most of the time, we would recommend to continue this medicine (with a sip of water) even on the day of surgery. Of course, you need to check with your MD to made sure of this in your case.

Addtionally, Tenormin is a beta-blocker, which is cardioprotective when taken around the time of surgery. This means that continuing this medicine reduces the chance of an adverse cardiac event. Please check with your MD for details.

As per the fluid around the heart, the best way to determine this is with an echocardiogram (sonogram). I would check with your cardiologist to see if a repeat echo is needed before surgery. Good luck.

Orthodoc
 
Cornishhedge,

I am all too familiar with the stress that comes from nerves. I have had way too many trips into ER for fast and skipping heartbeats only to be told everything is alright. Over the years I have had every test out there for my heart and I continued to worry and be scared. Three years ago I had an MRI of my heart to a sure myself everything is really alright. Since then I do regularly have skipping of my heart but I also know that it's not going to kill me so I "try" to ignore it and for the most part I do. This is my nerves and when I get more nervous I get more skipping which feeds into the nerves so it all becomes a cycle. I am trusting what I have read here to the fact this surgery is going to take away my pain. The pain I have in my hips I think I have been ignoring for years but recently has come to a huge head and has made everyday life close to impossible. I do believe that in modern technology, we who have these nervous conditions will come through fine and once the operation is over the relief we will have will bring down the stress levels too. Take care and know that I'm worrying with you and have some of the same life struggles as you....we will be fine:puppysmooze:
 
Hi Angie, cornishhedge

I have been thinking about you. I believe your appointment was due about now. How did it go?
Was the surgeon helpful? Did he/she answer all your questions. If your appointment hasn't happened yet
Then I really hope it goes well.

My recovery is still great. I'm back to Pilates classes and walking out with friends despite the
horrid weather....and pain free!
This could be you!

Ali xox
 
I am scheduled for LTHR and also have Factor Five Leiden. My Ortho said that he would keep me on anticoagulants for 6 weeks instead of the usual 6
 
I also have a history of a blood clot, that is how I was eventually diagnosed with Factor Five Leiden
Another post talked about her excellent recovery and being back to walking and pilates, and that she can even run. Wow, I have been a runner for 35 years, until the last year and a half when what I thought was a pulled groin muscle, was actually complete loss of cartilage in my left hip. Cortisone injections every six months worked for about a year and then were no longer effective. Since Thanksgiving, I have been in horrible 24/7 pain.
I pray that I will be able to return to my normal active lifestyle. I miss running so much. Switched to power walking and have continued with my elliptical and weight workouts. The pain is awful, but I want to stay strong going into surgery, that that I have a stronger, speedier recovery.
 
Hi alipali and mamarey,

Ali my appointment is Monday. I missed your post I didn't get email saying you had posted. Didn't get one saying mamery had posted eithe.

Anyway I am totally wound up about the appointment , needless to say. I will post the results lol.

Mamery did you know that if you meet someone with factor v then you are related to that person in some way. Lol

When is your operation ? Do let us know how it goes please.

Thank you both for your replies.

Ali that is wonderful you are doing so well. It gladdens my heart to hear it. Keep it up lol.

Angie
 
Hi Angie,
I hope your appointment goes well on Monday. I am halfway through waiting for my surgery date on May 23rd. If I had know that I would have to wait six months for a date, I would have gone in to see him in the summer, when my pain was really beginning to increase. I am on a cancellation list, and as of now, there are 20 hips before me. I am praying for an earlier date, as the pain is awful.
Enjoy your weekend,
Suzanne
 
Hi Angie,

Have been to London for the weekend and just noticed your posts.
You will have made it through the first stage by the time you read this I expect
for which you should be proud of yourself.

I really do hope you consultant was reassuring. Some are more interested in the
mechanics, as mine was. I did not mind as long as he did a good job which he did!

For us THR is a really big deal. For them it is just their day job.

Thinking about you.
Ali x
 
Hello my friends.

Had my appointment yesterday. Don't know where to start.

Young man came in said total hip replacement necessary. I said what are the alternatives. He said none because its bad. !!!!!

I didn't want to hear that. He said you don't have to get it done if you don't want to. It's your choice.
I said how bad is it? ... He said do you want to see the X-ray. So he took me into the other room where he introduced me to the surgeon.
Surgeon said its bad and I have a bone cyst on the joint. A bone cyst indeed, never heard of it. He said its common.

So then I said what about my back the pain in my back is worse than the hip. So surgeon said it won't help your back at all. Don't expect it too. He just said I will leave it up to you.

So I went with younger learner chap ( I must say he took my breath away, he was the most handsome man I have ever seen) back to other room. He smiled and said I think it would be sensible to go on the list you can always cancel if you whimp out.
I had told him I was the worlds biggest whimp. So I said yes.

That's it am on the 6 to 8 week waiting list. Been shaking with fear all day. Going to toilet all day. Oh boy.!!!

This is the negative me , I just hope I don't pick up that phone and cancel. I wouldn't put it past me.

A friend of mine broke his leg last week, a tractor went over his leg.
He seemed fine, he died today from a bold clot . My biggest fear!!! I am so upset he was such a lovely man.

I suppose that's making me more negative than usual.

Well I certainly opened up here have I not my friends lol

Could you wonderful post ops let me know how wonderful you are doing x

Angie
 
Hiya Angie, had to laugh at you swooning at the cute young doctor guy :) Makes our visits to the hospital much more pleasant when we have someone nice to look at doesn't it.

Those 6 to 8 weeks are going to fly over and then you shall be painfree and on the road to recovery. It's daft to continue living only half a life when we have the option to live life to the full. I know, been there done that and am I happy I decided enough was enough and to just go for it.

I am another serious worrier. I have terrible anxiety attacks, have even fainted a couple of time due to panic attacks but you know what, not in the hospital, I was quite okay the day I went in for my surgery and it was because I knew that if anything was to happen then I was in the best place for it to happen, a place full of experts who could deal with it and treat whatever was wrong.

Just try to envisage how wonderful your life is going to be after surgery, how you will be able to do pretty much whatever you want without pain. Now that is something to look forward to isn't it.

Have you had a look at the recovery side, you will see how well everyone is doing and how they are so pleased they had the surgery.

Be strong, it isn't the best thing to go through but you get the best present afterwards.

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Angie,
i am so sorry about your friend.

So glad you made it to your appointment. Just hang on in there... Distraction is in order.
Give yourself a treat!

You wanted to hear post op good stories. Well mine is pretty good. I am going on a 5 mile
walk on Saturday with friends. Not too much 'up hill' though. I feel ready as I have been doing 3 miles
with some incline, for the last month or so, at a brisk pace.
I am enjoying my Pilates twice a week. One of those I have on my own. It certainly has helped with strengthening
my muscles and sorting out all the compensation I developed pre-op!
I have also started Zumba but it certainly is a challenge (learning the steps).
I do feel I have got my life back. Today I did some gardening with NO PAIN..yippee...the first time for two years.
You may not be interested in these particular activities but what ever you dream about or have enjoyed in the past
could be a reality again as long as it's not bungee jumping!

I suggest you try and visualise and focus on your dreams and active interests and think about how much fuller your life could be without all that pain and horrible pain medication. You deserve a better life!

Enjoy your treat!
I would love to know what it is.
Ali x
 
Thank you @annipoops and@AliPali,

Well the thoughts of it are driving me nuts.

I love your story of all the things you can do now Ali . I love gardening it's a passion for me. Haven't done any for three years.

I think the word petrified is what comes to mind. I am in a dreadful state with worry. Day and night.

I read the story of a man on here who is the same as me but he was much better at describing his anxiety. I have no idea how to cope with this total overwhelming fear of the operation.

How whimpy is that. I tell myself not to be so stupid and focus on the joy of no pain. It doesn't work because the fear is stronger than anything I try to think. If that makes sense.

I have sent for new nighties and new wash bag . I have bought a small portable DVD player. So am sort of preparing but still full of fear.

Anyone else been such a state??? Pathetic really for a woman of my age.

Anyway enough of that.

Thank you for your replys it's very kind of you

Angie
 
Anyone else been such a state??? Pathetic really for a woman of my age.
The answer to this question is a big, fat YES! We were all scared - some of us more terrified than others. And you are not pathetic! All this is very normal.

I found coming here and talking about my fears really did help. When I was first diagnosed I felt just like you. In fact I remember thinking there was no way I could go through this surgery. Then I found this site. And the more I learned and the more I shared my fears - things just fell into place. On the day I was calm and actually looking forward to moving to the other side.

What you need to do is tell everyone you meet in the hospital that you are very nervous. They are true professionals who deal with this everyday. And they totally understand your concerns. You'll be fine cornishhedge!
 
Thank you Jaycee,
Kind of you to reply to me.

Glad to hearing I'm not the only one. Lol !!

I find it hard to imagine actually being calm on the day.

I will of course tell everyone I come into contact with how scared I am. No worries on that score. Lol.

Did you get some medication to help you? I think I may ask for something.

I think I will ask them to make me stupid so that I don't know what's going on.

My friend just had a mini op on her foot, she was scared. She said when they gave her the juice she thought yes ok cut my head off if you want.!!! Ha ha bless her.

Angie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom