TKR Hawkie's Sunbeam Journey

Hawk2Go I love your phrase "everyone was pleased with everything"! Not sure it gets much better than that - so of course the knee had to speak up, loudly, shortly thereafter, just in case you forgot who is the boss. Hope you feel better today and congratulations on such a great report!
 
@hawk2go ... you may notice that I deleted a photo from your post above. It was a copyright image and, if you take a look at the BoneSmart Forum Rules, you'll see that it's not allowed as it violates copyright laws.
 
NE Librarian - as of now The left Knee is the big boss, El Jefe! But I hear rumblings of a coup d'etat in cartilage free Kneevonia.
 
Whew, I was able to do pretty much everything I planned. It was a crazy busy couple weeks, starting with all the prep and decorations for our houseguests and many visitors this holiday season. I made it without any pain meds at all! I was down to just a couple Tylenol a day, which is probably not enough to do anything, and then last Monday realized that I didn't need anything. They ended up being the last couple crutches - no pain, all gain. Pain in the rearview. Did I mention I am pain free in the left knee! woooooohoooooooooooooooo!
:spin::dancy::cheers:
 
I am following several kneesies on-line and a couple off-line. The common and disturbing experience is with the aggressive physiotherapy. It seems therapists all over are pushing knees to straighten and bending knees to flex, causing lots of pain and presumably introducing setbacks and extending recovery. The repetitive exercises intended to strengthen damaged muscles and improve ROM are doing the opposite. Now that El Jefe is calm, I am writing this out so that I have a reference for my right knee.

When I fired my 1st home PT, I was made to feel weak for not being able to execute and hold a lunge on the step for 30 seconds, 6 days out of surgery. This after completing a cycle of other exercises in that session. The service never apologized or admitted that there was a problem. They just provided a more experienced PT who took a gentler approach. I rarely did the interim exercises by myself because the knee was too swollen and sore. With that said, I made great progress with my new home therapist and then at 4 weeks had to transition to outpatient therapy.

I selected the therapy group because they had a pool and I benefited from aqua therapy in my 2012 recovery. I had 3 different PTs on my outpatient case, depending on the day and each followed the same program. One spoke to me as if I were a child but at least he explained what he was doing. They all bent my leg to "improve" the flex. Only the lead guy pushed on my leg to "improve" extension. They massaged my scar, patella and popliteal. I did mini squats, step ups, kick outs, calf stretches, leg lifts, clams and bridges. As time passed, they added weights and bands. They sometimes used heat to warm me up before I got on the bike to rock (also to warm me up). They iced my knee(s) at the end of each session. Although they encouraged me to alert them if they caused pain, I usually just pushed through, thinking that was the way to go. I ended up crying on the table more than once, frustrated that I wasn't moving as fast as they expected. I found Bonesmart in time to take some control of my treatment but not soon enough to stop all of the madness. When I was released, there was no pep talk that had done well, achieved some hidden goal, to keep up the good work or even that i had been mildly successful. It seemed my ROM and knee assessment questionnaire put me in a better place (who knows) and they decided I was done at 6 and 118. I was never allowed to go in the pool.

After PT ended, I took the "no exercise" approach even though I had every intention to get back to the gym. A BTKR friend at work indicated that her doctor insists that she ride the bike every day so as not to lose ROM. I wanted to do this but found I was always too tired to pick it up. I just went about my daily routine, which was pretty extensive. It felt good to naturally improve, to be tired because I actually got stuff done. I added activity as I tolerated it and got stronger while also improving my ROM.

Next time around I'll definitely do less earlier so that I can do more sooner - maybe, every knee is different.
 
A BTKR friend at work indicated that her doctor insists that she ride the bike every day so as not to lose ROM.
I wonder why people think you'll lose ROM if you don't keep exercising? You don't.
Once the bend is there, it is there for keeps, although you may get slight variations from day to day.
 
I wonder why people think you'll lose ROM if you don't keep exercising?
... because doctors, PAs and therapists say so.
 
So El Jefe told me we're not through yet. I wore boots to work 2 days in a row and El Jefe got all puffed up about it. Apparently, I must now ask special permission to change anything regarding my lower body. Oh well, the recovery continues and progress is made every week, even though every day is a roller coaster :yes:

I received my cane ice tip and it's pretty impressive. I'll let you know when I give it a test run.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Up here in the mountains of PA they say some ice over the weekend so you might get to use your ice tip. I personally would have liked to have it early on when I went to doctors offices and unruly kids were running into me!:heehee: Every time I change footwear it seems to cause different aches and pains. I'm stuck on the roller coaster and haven't been able to get off yet! Hopefully your ride will be over soon. Thanks for all your support too.
 
The cane tip does have that broken link removed: https://www.lofty.com/products/a-japanese-sword-in-a-cloisonne-walking-cane-sheath-probably-19th-century-with-dragon-design?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=pla&utm_content=98987233331&utm_term=01tj0000002eYe5AAE&keyword=&gclid=CjwKEAiAk7O0BRD9_Ka2w_PhwSkSJAAmKswxDxp_XcmmgiOHHdS5MOaINJzbQYhgxgNqurVFEMkZ4hoCzQ3w_wcB feel doesn't it? heeheehee

I just have to remember that no matter how good I feel, I've still got to give it the full year. Shoes have been tricky for years, so I guess they will continue to be a consideration.
 
Just over 7 months and checking in to say there are days that I actually forget to pay close attention to my knee. There is virtually no pain. Even the stiffness when I stand is gone though I still brace for it. I haven't had to take any meds for pain and when I walk too far my right knee complains but El Jefe is all "muy buena, amiga". El Jefe is still a bit bigger than the right knee. Going downstairs is still a bit weird but I don't have to hold the rail in either direction anymore. It's like rainbows and unicorns.
 
@hawk2go that is great news and I am so happy for you! I am coming up on 5 months next week and still have the stiffness you mention - hope I am as fortunate as you in 2 months!

Every time you change your picture the kids get cuter and cuter....not sure how many more you have in your back pocket there, but bring them on - so adorable! Stay safe in the winter weather.
 
hope I am as fortunate as you in 2 months!
I wish the same for everyone. I live in gratitude from the moment @KYata stated I was having a smooth recovery. I didn't have that perspective at the time but quickly gained it by walking the path with my fellow kneesies. I am truly blessed to have had my care team - professionals, friends and family on this tiresome journey.


Every time you change your picture the kids get cuter and cuter.
Yeah these are 2 of the youngest rascals. They give their parents fits - chubby handed high fives to tag team Mom/Dad on food, diapers and sleep. Routines are for slackers!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful report! You are doing so well. I'm very happy for you. Hopefully someday soon I'll be able to change my picture from my pets to a new little grandchild! Thanks for all your support.
 
I was standing, noticed that my shoelace was loose and bent down to tie it without bending El Jefe. I got a strange pain/stretch in the front of the knee. Has anyone tried this move?

So far the right knee is not complaining much - no pain meds needed. I think I need to start strengthening both knees in earnest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If the pain went away right away then I wouldn't think it was a problem. It's just a new maneuver you are getting used to. You may have just extended your knee a little farther than you have done before.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom