Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hawkie's Sunbeam Journey

I think you're right. The pain went away when I stood up and when I tried it again, there was less pain. Stretching out some underused muscles I suspect.

I recall Poppet would pop in to provide great nutritional advice. I definitely benefited from focusing on healing foods during the early days of my recovery. I recommend finding those gems for anyone still in that heavy healing period (1st 3 months). edited because I found it ==> Here is lots of nutrition information from Poppet,
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/library-nutrition-for-pre-and-post-surgery.84/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm about to fly again and thought I don't need the wheelchair service. Then not paying attention on Sunday, banged El Jefe on a heavy bin - saw stars a bit. The Boss has been acting up since despite icing, elevating, etc. It's better each day so probably just a bruise but I think I will have to arrange the wheelchair service. Was so looking forward to putting on my big girl pants and taking the walk through the airport to what is inevitably the last gate in the terminal.

Note to future Hawkie- keep taking the supplement no matter how good you feel (it does make a difference).
 
The Philadelphia airport is huge! It is so spread out I think I would use the wheelchair service as long as possible. Those bumps on the knee do really make us aware of them don't they? I hope you have a safe journey. Thanks for all your positive postings on my thread. They do make a big difference to me.:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you for taking the time to visit and reassure us!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What supplement are you taking? I banged my Ralph square on the incision and it was not a pretty face I made! Luckily, that face included a tight lip, so no vulgarities escaped my lips. Do you set off the metal detector at the airport? My husband was just asking me this yesterday!
 
I have banged my knee a couple of times. The first time the pain was excruciating, but each time it hurts less. Speaking of airports, I made the mistake of not telling TSA I had a TKR in Denver and I got a full pat down. I will never do that again. In Minneapolis they would have just wanded the knee. Heading to Tucson tomorrow and will tell TSA both ways about the knees. Minneapolis has the full body scans and TSA said I don't even need to tell them about my knee but I will anyway. Have a good trip. Hope the knee feels better everyday, hawk!
 
Speaking of airports, I made the mistake of not telling TSA I had a TKR in Denver and I got a full pat down. I will never do that again. In Minneapolis they would have just wanded the knee. Heading to Tucson tomorrow and will tell TSA both ways about the knees.
It doesn't seem to matter whether you tell the TSA or not. They still have to follow the procedure for their airport.
In most airports I've been through they do a full pat down and then follow that up with a wanding of the knees. I always allow extra time for security screening.
 
Yes, that is what happened to me at the airport. Full body scan followed by wanding and a full body pat down. It didn't take very long and the female agent was pleasant. No problems. I had more issues with the snippy screener who chastised me because my shoes and laptop were in the same bin.
 
I'm back! Nashville was really great. I used the wheelchair going but was given permission (the spouse is tough) to walk on the way back. Even the stopover was okay. Had to ice and take some Aleve but all is well.

I get wanded, patted down and swabbed every time. I must look very threatening. What's funny is that I always beep but the knee has not yet come up on the X-ray. My groin came up twice, my ankle thrice and armpit once. I wonder if El Jefe is a wanderer (singin Willie Nelson "on the road again").
 
My hip has never come up in X-ray numerous times - although it sets off the scanner alarm. But they tell me at TSA that hip is too deep for their X-rays but snaps, clasps, etc, any tiny metal things that would not set off scanner are picked up on X-ray and then they have to check those areas.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad to hear you had a good trip. I'm looking forward to a vacation later this year when I can test out TSA and their ability to 'see' my knee. My girls are trying to decide between Disney or a cruise to the Carribbean. I voted for both!:heehee:
 
Hi Everybody! I got locked out of the site by the security software on my PC.

Mom had a stroke on March 4. She wasn't taking her blood thinners consistently and a clot travelled. She lost her left side and is left handed! She has recovered completely and is getting out of rehab, just 3 short weeks after the event. Her recovery has stunned all of her caregivers.

It's been a whirlwind but El Jefe has held up nicely. I'm getting El Jefito (the budding boss, my non-surgical knee) shot up next week so that I can continue my strengthening program.
 
Im sorry to hear your mom had a stroke. I'm sure the power of prayer has helped regain her strength. It sounds like you're doing well too. I'm very happy for you about that.
 
Thanks Marian. Glad that this is shaping up to be better experience for you. When do you get sprung?
 
I'm going home today. I've got my ice machine ready to go and I can't wait to elevate it since it is hugely swollen throughout the entire leg.
 
Hi Hawk,

Sounds like your mom made a miraculous recovery! Glad to hear you are doing okay too. I get my right knee injected in about a month. I can feel the last shot wearing off.

Glad to hear your mom recovered. Amazing
 
Thanks all! It was a whirlwind. She lost her left side and made a full recovery in less than 3 weeks. Amazing and miraculous!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom