Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hawkie's Sunbeam Journey

Let's be diligent on our gentle extension exercises together :dancy:
I have been on break from all artificial exercises (those not integrated with daily living activity) but I'm ready to resume. My stamina is good but the "pope-nado" has made the public transit commute tough on The Knee. The city should return to some normal pace next week (I hope). I'd like to get get back the discipline of working out soon. Mostly I walked and did light weight training. @tigwy11 - how have you been doing with your exercises? Any improvement in extension?
 
Good luck on the public transportation. I am so rural,nothing like that around here. My extension is better. Work on it at least 3 times a day and now working on the ROM. At 115 with no push, trying for 130 hopefully next week! Been walking and bikin. Yours getting better??
 
@tigwy11 I'm glad you're improving! :flwrysmile: I have started walking down stairs with both legs. :yes!: Also able to touch the back of my leg to the bed when I do a move similar to a quad set (no reps though). I think both flex and extension have improved.

The commute was a bit of a challenge. I had to get on and off the bus, big steps even when they lowered it, then sit for about 45 minutes each way. I think at the end of each day I had a bit more pain than recently but was able to manage with Tramadol and Tylenol. I was down to 1 of each in the morning and again in the evening. This week I took 2 of each morning and evening. I continue to ice at the end of each day and got a few more inserts for my ice wrap. I am still looking forward to pain in the rear view but my life is slowly coming back.
 
I'm going to a wedding and flying for the 2nd time since getting The Knee. The 1st time was 4 wks out of surgery, way too early. I'll probably get a wheelchair because inevitably, no matter what I book, I am at one of the last gates in the terminal. I'm looking forward to a tiny bit of dancing at the wedding :happydance: I'll be sure to ice all day following.

My stamina is getting better, I really filled up yesterday with errands before and after a full day of work. I elevated when I got home but did not ice, I was upstairs and the ice was downstairs. I just renewed my Tramadol prescription. My sis-in-law said she was still taking pain meds when she realized one day that she was no longer in pain (hip replacement). I tried not taking anything one night, I definitely am still managing pain. When does pain in The Knee stop? Can it be as long as a year?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I still take a Norco at night if I had a tough day. A plane ride does not sound fun at all to me, but if it was to a beach I would do it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm looking forward to a tiny bit of dancing at the wedding
The wedding was stunning and I did dance quite a bit. No worse for the wear. I didn't ice at all, though I should have. I did use a wheelchair at the airport though someone stole the chair that waiting when I landed in Philly. I was one of the last off the plane, oh well. I made it to Atlanta and back.
 
This weekend was a bear but I made it. I drove to NY because a dear friend from college passed and I attended her funeral service/life celebration in Queens, NY in the late morning. I attended a milestone birthday party for a dear friend in The Bronx, NY in the afternoon/evening. I drove to Brooklyn, NY in the late evening to retrieve some of Mom's belongings then drove back to Philly. All told about 270 miles and 8 hours driving plus walking, dancing, standing, working, etc. I needed to recover yesterday and didn't get some time sensitive chores done but figure they will just have to wait. I am sitting at my desk icing now as it's still swollen.

I find that the driving doesn't bother much since I drive an automatic. The position must annoy The Knee, even when I bend it quite often because at the end of any drive the stiffness kicks in and it's tough to walk for a few. I have been so busy with real life recently I haven't restarted my exercise routine and haven't been doing the residual home PT either. I don't think the absence of exercise is having a negative affect at this point since my flex is still very good and my extension appears almost normal. I think I just need to get back into routine so I don't regress. Any thoughts?

I'm off to Phoenix later this week.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been so busy with real life recently I haven't restarted my exercise routine and haven't been doing the residual home PT either. I don't think the absence of exercise is having a negative affect at this point since my flex is still very good and my extension appears almost normal. I think I just need to get back into routine so I don't regress. Any thoughts?
You won't regress and it sounds to me as if the activities of your daily living are quite sufficient exercise for your knee.
Once you have achieved the ROM you need, you don't need to exercise to keep it.
 
I go through the same thought process, and occasionally do a few PT exercizes from time to time. I still have pain walking down stairs so might work on exercises for that, but really I think just walking and doing the things I like to do is better for me at 14 weeks out.

Have fun in Phoenix and sorry to hear of your friend's passing.
 
What a busy weekend! Glad your knee was able to support you. I would not worry about formal exercise. Sounds like your life is exercise aplenty.
 
Glad your knee was able to support you.
It occurred to me when I read this that pre-surgery I would not have been able to get through a day with all of that activity. Even driving to NY was a hardship before surgery. So to my surprise and without much fanfare, The Knee has achieved the goal of giving me back my life. I sit here typing through tears of joy. There is still pain, there are still limits and I have a way to go but I am having a life again.

I hope everyone who has supported me on this Sunbeam journey gets to experience this realization. It's powerful!
 
I have returned from Phoenix. We had very long days, I did a lot of walking and had long stretches sitting. It was an exciting trip. I rested and elevated at the end of each day then rinsed and repeated. Success!!!!!

A PT at a pizza party this weekend accosted me with the knowledge that I needed a "myofascial release" session. Anyone ever hear of or experience this? from wiki
Myofascial release (or MFR) is a soft tissue therapy for the treatment of skeletal muscle immobility and pain. This alternative medicine therapy aims to relax contracted muscles, improve blood and lymphatic circulation, and stimulate the stretch reflex in muscles.

Fascia is a thin, tough, elastic type of connective tissue that wraps most structures within the human body, including muscle. Fascia supports and protects these structures. Osteopathic theory proposes that this soft tissue can become restricted due to psychogenic disease, overuse, trauma, infectious agents, or inactivity, often resulting in pain, muscle tension, and corresponding diminished blood flow. Although fascia and its corresponding muscle are the main targets of myofascial release, other tissue may be addressed as well, including other connective tissue.

The use of myofascial release as a treatment is not supported by good evidence, and using it as a replacement for conventional treatment risks causing harm.

Direct myofascial release is an attempt to bring about changes in the myofascial structures by stretching or elongation of fascia, or mobilizing adhesive tissues. The practitioner moves slowly through the layers of the fascia until the deeper tissues are reached.


I pushed back a bit that my recovery was going just fine, thanks. She said I shouldn't be in much pain. I said how would you know that without understanding my case. I realize that I have achieved a healthy skepticism about PTs in general and these one size fits all theorists specifically. Then I spoke with a friend who is a naturopath and she indicated there may be some benefit in myofascial release treatment. I'll speak with her practice partner later today in a more official capacity.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A PT at a pizza party this weekend accosted me with the knowledge that I needed a "myofascial release" session.
Huh! Touting for business at a party. Not polite.

I pushed back a bit that my recovery was going just fine, thanks. She said I shouldn't be in much pain. I said how would you know that without understanding my case.
And she had her TKR when?
Congratulations on a good response.

@Pumpkln - do you know what myofascial release entails and whether it can be helpful?
 
@Pumpkln - do you know what myofascial release entails and whether it can be helpful?
I scheduled it for Saturday. Any info would be muchly appreciated.

@tigwy11 How are doing doing surgery sister? haven't seen you around, I'm hoping that's because life is pulling you away.:yes!:
 
Do come and tell us about your experience with the myofascial release, which I've never heard of.
Don't let it hurt you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom