Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hawkie's Sunbeam Journey

Not a Sunbeam (or at least not this year's :wink: ) but congrats on needing meds much less.
 
Not a Sunbeam (or at least not this year's :wink: ) but congrats on needing meds much less.
Thanks Kneeper. I am ambivalent about is because I suffered through so much pain, imho needlessly, to get here.
 
Oh, I agree with that. I don't thing docs should just arbitrarily cut off the pain meds.
 
I still have my Norco at bedtime, mostly so I can Sleep without tossing and turning. Aleve 1-2 times a day.
 
I wish I had my Vicodin. It did help me get through those tough nights. I can't imagine that I was in danger of dependency but who knows. It is in the past now. I remember during my pre-op exams, the OS indicated they like to give Celebrex and Oxy after surgery but I am allergic to Celebrex. Maybe excluding that changed my experience significantly. Last night I wrapped my knee but forgot the meds and woke in pain but went back to sleep, quite the feat.
 
Tylenol PM did not really work for me a couple of weeks ago, but I have tried it again the last 3 nights, and I'm sleeping great! Not sure if it is something you can take, but it pleasantly surprised me.
 
@Slainte I have been doing well just recently with the Tramadol and Tylenol mix. I did try some Tylenol PM 2 weeks ago and woke too groggy to make it to work. I also tried separating them, that is 2 AS Tylenol and 1 diphenhydramine, and that worked a bit better. My med cabinet looks like a CVS pain relief shelf.
 
Lying here with my leg in the air wondering what I did to have such a bad knee day. I feel like weeks ago, when it was hard to walk upright without the cane. Ugh. "Obey the knee" would be easier if it told me what it wants in advance of the dreadful recovery days.
 
Sorry you are having a tough day. Hope your knee feels better real soon.
 
The knee just wanted its "me time". I iced it, elevated it, pampered it and sang to it then it settled down.

I had my 12 week check up today. Xrays were tip top, everything in its place. Doc was less than impressed with my extension but said it was okay, Nurse thought it was good. Both thought the flex was pretty fabulous. They didn't measure it, just eyeballed it. I got the go ahead to slowly add back regular activity and gym stuff. The Tramadol therapy will continue but I'll try to decrease the Tylenol, we'll see what happens. I'll be glad when pain is in the rear view.
 
The knee just wanted its "me time". I iced it, elevated it, pampered it and sang to it then it settled down.

I had my 12 week check up today. Xrays were tip top, everything in its place. Doc was less than impressed with my extension but said it was okay, Nurse thought it was good. Both thought the flex was pretty fabulous. They didn't measure it, just eyeballed it. I got the go ahead to slowly add back regular activity and gym stuff. The Tramadol therapy will continue but I'll try to decrease the Tylenol, we'll see what happens. I'll be glad when pain is in the rear view.

My doctor just eyeballed mine too! After I worked so hard to make the 115 ROM! Good luck in the gym:climb:
 
My surgeon has never measured my ROM. In fact, my latest TKR has never been measured at all. That doesn't matter. I can do everything I want with it, it straightens fully and it bends well. Function is more important than numbers.
 
Function is more important than numbers.
I agree but my inner competitor wants the numbers. The inner competitor will definitely get over it. I've been walking without a cane for 3 weeks, I can run a bit, driving when and where I want, doing stairs frequently and I even jumped away from a barking dog that thought I was a threat. The knee stiffens when I sit too long and standing is still uncomfortable, the last 2 real life activities to regain.

I got the right knee shot up yesterday and should be in good shape to continue the left knee recovery. Next appt is in December.

I have immense respect for the advisers on this forum. Gratitude to all who have kept me informed, sane and laughing through this recovery.
 
Another first on the new knee. I've been grocery shopping in the neat electric cart but this weekend I did the walk about in the supermarket. If grocery shopping can be exhilarating, well it was great. My youngest granddaughter just started walking and you can see the thrill of accomplishment with every step. Yep, like that.

Generally, I've been doing well - the usual stiffness and some bearable pain. Then on Sunday, I could hardly walk. The Knee (yes it's a proper noun now) hurt more than usual but so did my hip on the same leg. I talked with a trainer before my surgery and he indicated that the opposite leg hip might have some trouble after all of the compensation for the recovering knee. I upped my pain meds, rested, iced, elevated and it feels better today but I needed my cane to make it to work.

Has anyone experienced hip pain on the surgical leg at about 3 months out? Any idea on the root cause?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So the hip pain subsided with some rest (of course ice and elevation are constant companions).

Anyone ever use Arnica with any success? Arnica is "applied to the skin as a cream, ointment, liniment, salve, or tincture, arnica has been used to soothe muscle aches, reduce inflammation, and heal wounds." Sounds like a all around treatment for The Knee. @Josephine? @Celle? What do you think?
 
I know that Arnica is very good for making bruises go away faster. I haven't tried it for anything else, but I don't think it would do any harm to try it, as long as you don't put it on any broken skin areas.
You might find it soothing. I don't think it will help your knee to heal any faster, though.
 
You might find it soothing. I don't think it will help your knee to heal any faster, though.
Thanks. I have learned from you all that The Knee will heal in its own time. I was wondering if arnica might be a suitable substitute for the basic cream I use at night when I saran wrap the baby.
 
I'd do a test patch somewhere else first, to make sure you're not allergic to anything in the Arnica cream. Then try it and see. I don't think it will do any harm.
 
Anyone ever use Arnica with any success? Arnica is "applied to the skin as a cream, ointment, liniment, salve, or tincture, arnica has been used to soothe muscle aches, reduce inflammation, and heal wounds." Sounds like a all around treatment for The Knee.
Sounds terririfc, doesn't it? Reminds me of that advert for topical Volteran. Only trouble is, they don't work - it's a placebo!

A few weeks ago, a pair of doctors who were also TV presenters, made a documentary about pain killers in all their forms, including topical stuff like the ones we've mentioned. They did some really intensive investigations that required these guys to have needle stuck into their legs at various depths. They then attached these needles to machines that could track the effects of any topical medications at the nerve level. They rubbed various potions on their skin in the area of the needles and found ......... nothing! The potion penetrated a mere 2mm into the skin and never got anywhere near the muscles! And what was more, the test proved the same on both men. Interesting, yes?
 
I have tried the Arnica too. I use deep blue from Doterra and another oil from there for temporary relief of pain which helps.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom