TKR Hawkie's Sunbeam Journey

You'll eventually get that full rotation--just keep up the rocking and trying a little more at a time. And we'll cheer you on when you get there.
 
OK, so last weekend I did a 2.5 hour drive to Maryland, sat for several hours then drove back with a stop for dinner. I had a recovery day but none the worse.

This past weekend I did a 3 hour drive to NYC, walked quite bit, drove back then went to a concert (Chicago and EWF, fantastic show) all the same day. Now I have been recovering for 2 days - resting, icing and elevating. The pain is way high and the knee is still swollen. I know I overdid it but how can I shorten the recovery. I have to go back to NYC soon and think the trains and cabs might be worse than driving.

Any advice? Thoughts?
 
I have to say that this knee journey has not at all resembled the post-op life that various professionals detailed. I never was prepared for the pain, the setbacks, the extended recovery and worse the emotional ride.

I broke my right ankle and leg earlier this year (2 weeks before LTKR surgery was originally schedule) and my home nurse and home PT from that experience promised that the knee recovery was very different and quick. I took a TKR class and they indicated that I would be up cooking week 1 so taught us how to rely on our walker for support when reaching and chopping! They all said major pain for 2 weeks, then a big drop from week 3 on. They encouraged me to go ahead with the surgery this year when I expressed reluctance to go through another recovery. Based on the picture that was painted, I took a week off to have the surgery and have been working from home since week 2, on narcotics until week 6. I returned to the office week 7.

Sounds like you are having an easy recovery!
Well this is the end of week 8, I feel lucky because I realize that so much of my experience is a result of not knowing my limits and fairly consistently exceeding them. The strength and endurance and even some ROM is returning and the day and even the night pain is finally becoming bearable when I stay in bounds. I have to do better at staying in bounds. This forum has been a fantastic source of information and validation. I have to say as I read the experiences of other TKRs. "ME TOO". {she says as she sits in her office with a bag of ice on her swollen knee}
:thumb:
 
I guess the home health people thought that because they rarely see a TKR patient past two or three weeks, so I guess, to them, the patient is recovered. Not quite.
 
Hi - I'm moving toward the end of week 9. Circumstances required me to skip PT last week :egypdance:. Same circumstances required me to go to the office today without my cane and I am okay. Practicing the heel through toe gait for a few weeks must have helped because I don't feel wobbly. I still have that awful stiffness when moving from a sitting position (any chair, sofa, bench, stoop, etc.) but it seems to go away in like 20 steps vs. the previous 50. I definitely still have a hitch in my giddy-up but it's not exactly a limp. We'll see what the morrow brings.

In general, I find that the pain is low level until it is not and it ratchets way up for a some time, then mysteriously goes away. I'm not sure what causes the cycle, sometimes I'm just sitting or lying. It's bearable except at night or when I am in the middle of doing something that has to persist, like showering or cooking. At those times I want to scream.

Oh yeah. I started cooking again - yay!:spin: I'm just doing easy meals every few days but it's good to get back in the kitchen. Can hardly wait until I can get a batch of beer brewing.
 
Question: does the surgical knee ever reduce to resemble the non-surgical? Right now, early morning with very little visible swelling, the left knee is so much larger than the right and it a bit misshapen. I may have to get the right knee done just so they match.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am just at week 5 on second tkr, and I am able to walk without help, as far as canearly or a walker. Everything is pretty much back to normal for me; but that is my latest surgery!
I had ltkr last oct, now just 10 months ago, and total opposite of recovery on second surgery. I was very depressed at how slow I was recovering, and on my walker until 4 weeks out, and pt forced me to move to a cane. My knee just didn't feel stable enough to hold me up, and I was really nervous to use stairs! But now looking back, I think it was non surgical knee was the weak one!
Now I have both done, and very happy I did go ahead with 2nd surgery, and also finding this forum, cuz I wasn't on it until 5 weeks ago, or so. Knowing everything we are all going through is just part of the healing process, and you can't go too slow, at all. My brother had said, wow it sure is taking you a long time to walk on your own, and I felt awful, thinking I am just being a baby! That was when I was about 8 weeks, on first surgery! I think it sounds like your all doing great and moving forward nicely! Follow your instincts. Just keep icing, and elevating.
 
@louie does that mean it does or does not get back to a normal looking knee?
 
It goes down, but it can take a bit. Most comments say recovery to the point of feeling close to normal last up to a year.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes I would agree with @wberry, cause I still get a bit of stiffness with my first tkr, but I complained about the stiffness from the beginning. It's better now it's been so 10 months since that surgery.
 
I did 5 minutes going round and round on the stationary bike on Friday!:yahoo:

PT is over for now. Between my ankle recovery and my knee, I maxed my benefits and that's just fine with me. I was so over this PT from the beginning. Most times I spent several days recovering and could not do my home program (or regular life activities). Now I get to focus on that. I see the OS next week for my 12 weeks check up and will figure out the return to gym schedule. My last ROM was -6 and 118.

I find that moving from sitting position is still pretty tough because the knee really stiffens. Walking is good for the surgical knee but not for the non-surgical knee. I probably need a steroid shot, if I can get one. I have not needed any appliance for a couple weeks and the hitch in my step is almost gone until I start getting fatigued. Standing is still the toughest of the positions. I just can't stand comfortably for more than 10 minutes or so. I have driven as much as 4.5 hours without tremendous trouble (that is, it was not ideal and I wished I could stop but did not suffer too much as long I got out stretched every couple hours). All activity is better each week, so I know it will be good in the end. With that said, every day is a roller coaster with good and bad days. I can't yet say, I'm glad I got the knee replaced but am past the point of being sorry I did it.

Thank for all your advice and support.:thankyou:
 
I see the OS next week for my 12 weeks check up and will figure out the return to gym schedule. My last ROM was -6 and 118.
I hope your check up with your OS goes well.

Your ROM is pretty good and the flexion will continue to improve. The extension probably still needs a bit of gentle work, but it's not unusual for achieving full extension to take longer than getting good flexion.
Here are some exercises that you can try gently at home:
Extension: exercises for improvement
Don't try to do them all at once. Just try a few until you find one that you like, and do that, gently. Time is on your side.
 
Hawk - I had my TKR the same day you did. My knee is still visibly swollen. I know everyone's timeline is different, but one of the things bothering me at this point is that about half of my incision is still raised, red and sore to the touch. It's uncomfortable under pants and in bed. The whole knee area is still sore as well and there is discoloration that tells me things are still healing inside. There doesn't seem to be anything to do about that as far as I can tell. I ice and massage the area regularly. My activity level is very good I think, not all the way there but better than before the surgery. Extension is also an issue for me and I have eased up on some of those exercises as I resume a higher level of daily activity, now I'm thinking I need to go back to being diligent about them. Standing is still hard, but also better than before the surgery. Do you still get tired easily? My endurance is really limited, but I'm also still having some pretty bad nights sleeping...
 
Most times I spent several days recovering and could not do my home program (or regular life activities). Now I get to focus on that. My last ROM was -6 and 118.
Actually, with a ROM like that you really don't need to focus on anything at all as you don't need any more exercises! I never did any! Read my recovery threads in my signature.
 
We sound about the same in the recovery area. Sounds like you are doing well. The standing also is the one thing that bothers me. Must be because extension is not there yet. Let's be diligent on our gentle extension exercises together :dancy:
 
Here are some exercises that you can try gently at home
I think I'll try to go without for a bit ala Josephine
my ROM is about 110/0 which is amazing! And just in case you were wondering, exercising thus far has consisted of 2 or 3 heel slides every other day
then resume a bit later. I feel comfortable doing the strength and endurance exercises like step ups, kickouts, leg raises, heel raises, squats, general walking, etc. I have even added reps and weights to some. I also concentrate (very hard actually) on my heel to toe gait.

Hawk - I had my TKR the same day you did. My knee is still visibly swollen. I know everyone's timeline is different, but one of the things bothering me at this point is that about half of my incision is still raised, red and sore to the touch. It's uncomfortable under pants and in bed. The whole knee area is still sore as well and there is discoloration that tells me things are still healing inside.
Although I know each knee recovery is different, it is good to watch folks who are close to my surgical date. My incision is also raised in places almost like uneven sewing machine stitching. There are parts that look like a very thin line, and other parts that are slightly raised. I moisturize the scar and wrap the knee in Saran each night to help with the sensitivity, it seems to have a side benefit of making my knee more flexible when I wake and eases the pain that perks up at night. I think there is discoloration but it's tough to tell since my skin is pretty dark, I know it still swells quite a bit with activity so I ice frequently.

My endurance/stamina still suffers and I have to remind family, friends and colleagues that I am still recovering because my activity appears more and more normal. Especially since I don't use the cane or walker anymore, many people think I am capable of a normal day. I definitely am not but feel confident that I will be one day.:wink:

We sound about the same in the recovery area.
Yes, I have been following you a bit, too. The standing i think may be more about weight bearing than extension for me. I do notice when I stand, I tend to relax and bear most weight on the right leg, relying on it more. I have to consciously balance between the 2 legs. I've been doing that to build my endurance. I'm up to 10 minutes before I get uncomfortable.
 
My endurance/stamina still suffers and I have to remind family, friends and colleagues that I am still recovering because my activity appears more and more normal. Especially since I don't use the cane or walker anymore, many people think I am capable of a normal day. I definitely am not but feel confident that I will be one day.:wink:
Very true.
 
Even at five months out, I still wind up crashing in the recliner a couple of times a week in the afternoon for a brief nap. The stamina is a bear, but it does eventually return. Hang in there. Lucky for me, my husband has been pretty good about it.
 
Fellow Sunbeams - how are you with pain management and meds? My doc stopped the narcotics at my 6 weeks check up and I went through several weeks of flipping between 1 ineffective drug to another until the pain just seems to be subsiding on it's own. I never had withdrawal symptoms but boy did my regularity return after dropping the narcs.

After doc cut me off, I snuck in some leftover Vicodin at night for as long as it lasted. Recently, I have forgotten to take my pain meds and sometimes miss them but sometimes don't. I am using Tramadol and AS Tylenol pretty effectively. It doesn't stop the pain of moving from sitting to standing but manages most of the rest. What about you?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom