Having my first Knee Replacement July 9th 2014**Nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also had to hav clearance from family doctor .also had to hav heart echo gram. PT at hospital said a walker with wheels was not stable enough. They sent me home with plain walker. After the 4th day I switched to my walker with wheels.I found that mine was much easier and stable.

@madinana, your hubby is doing great....
 
I'm not sure why you would have pain in your left knee if it has no arthritis (does it???). But with an arthritic knee like you have on the right, you might be experiencing pain from bits of tissue or bone that have broken off and are floating in the joint. As you move about they do also and can become lodged between the damaged bones.

It is also possible that, to avoid pain in your right knee, you are walking with an altered gait which can stress your ligaments and other soft tissues. That can cause pain.

There are a million reasons we experience pain in joints. It's usually pretty difficult to pinpoint a cause. But....if your right knee is damaged to the point of needing a joint replacement, having that done can certainly improve things once you have been through your recovery period.
 
@Jamie I have it arthritis in both knees, and left is bone on bone with spurs and right has spurs and had a meniscus tear and was fixed by different os and never been right. I change doctors and he is much better doctor
 
Let me share a bit,I too have RA. The pain you feel after surgery is very different from the bone to bone you feel now. With good pain management it will feel just fine. Your family must understand that you will be down - in the sense of cooking, laundry, and cleaning. You will be able to walk to the bathroom, change your clothes and mostly take care of yourself but you won't have the energy to take care of others. Our church sent meals. My hubby learned how to do his laundry! And we have had a cleaning lady because of RA for over a year.

You will slowly regain your energy....and slowly is the key word. Your knee is in charge, not you.

Keep in contact with your rheumie. She can help with controlling your RA. Os's don't know a lot about it. I found it great to have my rheumie talk to my OS so they could be on the same page.

Hope some of this helps.


Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@waitingtogarden My Rheumie has taken me off off two of my meds that have for RA. She said if I go in major flair up to call her and she get me some of the dreaded prednisone. Did you have to go off some of yours I been in a major flair up the past few days and Sunday is when I stop the two of the meds for RA and 13 days until surgery and the closer it gets the more nervous I get, and the days seem to be flying by. Got a little emotional today just thinking about it :cry::bawl::beg::sigh:
 
I think I had drop one med three weeks out and another two weeks out. I restarted my Orencia a couple of weeks past and MTX about 8 weeks...with a couple wks of steroids. I did end up with a flair but, again, having the docs talk really helped.

Funny part is I will having my right knee done in September and my RA doc is already sending my OS articles about how studies show we don't have to stay off some Ned's as long. We shall see!
 
My rheumy said I didn't have to be off the metho since my dose was about middle of the road, but on my own I went off for a week before and a week after just to play it safe. I didn't have to go off the plaquenil at all. But biologics are a different story.
 
@madinana
My husband struggles with RA. He takes Enbrel since side effects for him on MTX were bad. Is your knee replacement tied to the joint decompensation due to RA? I can't imagine dealing with both. My second surgery is scheduled for July, about 2weeks after yours. Hang in there. Prayers for you being offered up. Hope you find comfort and peace of mind.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
It is good that your OS and RA doctors are communicating!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
@Caloparker I take weekly shots of Humira, Which now have to stop plus plaqunell which are two of my main medicines for RA Yes all this is result of my RA, Osteo Thank you so much for the prayers. I just keep saying to myself you can do this
 
@kneeper I could not take methatrextrate (sp) it affected my liver, so shots was my only choice, but still in lots of pain
 
For the first and hope the last I felt offended by something that was posted. Which I shouldn't as they don't know me. But to tell me that to accept a medical procedure without fear is just a normal rational person. Well I am normal and not off my rocker. Do I have fear, yes, am I scared yes. I am a normal rational person but I have other medical conditions which concern me that go hand in hand along with my surgery that could effect me with the procedure. So I am not sorry It is what it is!!!!
 
@tiredwife Good morning and hope you have a lovely day. I did too much yesterday between housework, pulling weeds, ect. I am paying for it today with both my knees 11 days until surgery, but who's counting :rotfl:
 
@madinana Hubby and I both had a rough night. His nightly tightness kept him awake most of the night dispite ZZZQUil (like Nyquil without the tylenol) and flexiral. I spent the night coughing because of my allergies (grass pollen is over the top this year). I think we are both taking a nap today and see if we are up to grocsery shopping.

Before you know it one of your knees will be without the type pain you are having now. My hubby is amazed that he can bend his knee and not hear the grinding he use to hear in it. His old knee hurts him more than his new knee. Rest, elevate and ice today for your knees.:bath: Maybe a nice hot bath would help.
 
Distraction is a wonderful coping mechanism before surgery! Keep busy!!! Do fun things! Enjoy each day. As it turned out I had two almost back to back road trips to beaches right before mine. Got home last Saturday, 1 day before I had to go in. My younger sister has just gone thru chemo, radiation and a double mastectomy so we did a celebratory spa trip together!! :) learned lots of helpful spa-like things while there that I have incorporated pre and post op (just posted those on my page). So, good for us both, in different ways!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom