Guest viewing is limited

Having bilateral hip replacement

Well, you've not long to wait at all, have you?
My Doc said nothing for a month other than the few PT exercises they send you home with. Then, he said he really doesn't prescribe PT
That's how we advise here on BoneSmart. This is our advice:

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We do have quite a significant Library here but here's some useful advice for you to be going on with

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries
 
@Ski Gal they're going in the back!! I keep being told that being fit and healthy is the best way to promote a good recovery so staying active will help. I’m in after the weekend...next Tuesday...so it feels more real now. I’m
Just thinking that my new mantra will be ‘this too shall pass’ and that in a few months time we will be bouncing around and so chuffed we did it
 
It's hard to know what will be, and certainly the first weeks are not indicative of what will be at two months , and even when I thought I was as good as was going to be...about 5-6 months out, things just kept getting better.
I am grateful for the time I had to mindfully recover (in hindsight):whistle:
Don't try to prove to yourself you can get better quicker and let your body be in charge, and you will ace this!:happydance:
 
I will definitely keep all the advice in mind. I want to do everything (or not do, as the case may be!) to ensure the best results. I've already got quite a few books lined up to read(I never seem to have enough time to read!)
 
Hi @Ski Gal, I had BTHR on May 3, posterior approach. I’m totally happy with having them both done at once. I also live by myself and have managed just fine! I stayed in the hospital for 8 nights as I didn’t manage the pain meds well at first, they made me quite nauseous, but I did need them. I wasn’t in the greatest shape going into surgery being debilitated from arthritis, but you sound like you are quite fit so you should fair very well!
I had everything set up in advance of my surgery, meals in freezer, rented a power lift recliner, ordered a “hip kit” from amazon which included 2 reachers, sock aid and leg lifter (for log legs).
Let me know if you have any questions, don’t worry! your body will heal itself. I feel like I’ve faired quite well living on my own, but really enjoy my own company.
 
Lol! I don't mind being alone either. Although my sister is staying with me for a week and my boyfriend will be around till the first of July(we don't live together, but he lives in the same town, but will be gone the month of July). I have a lot of the things you mentioned, except the leg lifter. My Dr said no to that. Not sure why. Maybe because mine they are going in the front? - they say recovery is much faster that way and the only restrictions are no crossing your legs of feet, and no figure 4's. My Dr says I'll be released the next day and be able to go to work in 3-4 weeks (I have a desk job). Seems crazy! I worry about pain meds because like you, they make me nauseous Did they give you something for the nausea? Glad you are doing so well. So many people I read about are my inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
 
I actually only used the leg lifter in the hospital and for a few days at home. If you find you need one in the hospital they’ll have ones you can use.

It took awhile to sort out pain meds in the hospital. Hydromorphone made me sick as did oxycodone. The problem was I needed the pain relief to be able to move. They ended up reducing the oxicodone and then gradually increasing it until we got the right balance of pain relief to be able to move without throwing up. I’m sure you will do much better!
 
My Dr says I'll be released the next day and be able to go to work in 3-4 weeks (I have a desk job). Seems crazy!
Totally unrealistic I am afraid. The recommended time off post THR is anywhere from 8-12 weeks and then a Phased Return. You concentration will not be up to a desk job at only 3-4 weeks. Then there is the Energy Drain.

Set realistic goals and you won't be disappointed. You are having 2 major ops in one day. You will need time to heal.
 
Morning @Ski Gal. I know what @Jaycey is saying from experience. After my right hip, there was no way I could think of going back to work in even five weeks. I had to get back to work in 8 weeks because of financial reasons. I was ready to get back to work. I was sleeping good, down to one nap and getting a walk in. However i also knew I had to slowly get back to fulltime. I did two weeks mornings 4hrs then third week 6hrs to 8hrs fourth week. I stand and walk some at work. You'll probably fare better being in good physical shape. Just sitting at a desk can be exhausting at first.
 
I will see how it goes. My employers will be fine with it if I have to stay home longer, but my pocketbook won't be happy!
I am wondering if the recovery time the Dr. quoted is because I am having the Anterior approach where they don't cut through any muscle? I know there are different approaches - from the back, the side, or the front. I had a friend who is my age, same problems with her hips and same Dr. She is a radiology tech and is on her feet all day and he told her she could go back to work at 6 weeks (she did, and was ok), and she said that was longer than usual for his patients. So I'm wondering if it's all because of the approach and no muscles that have to heal? What kind of approach has everyone had?
 
I am wondering if the recovery time the Dr. quoted is because I am having the Anterior approach where they don't cut through any muscle?
None of the approaches cut muscle. It just get pushed aside. Unfortunately there is considerable "marketing hype" around anterior. It is the same recovery and the same result. And recovery is more about how you personally react to the procedure.
 
Good to know! I didn’t realize that!
 
I had posterior approach because that’s what my surgeon was most skilled at. I wanted to go to an OS that did bilaterals (not many of them do) as I thought, if I’m a good candidate for bilateral, then I don’t want to rule that option out. (Both hips were at endstage OA).

I also had wanted anterior because I’d heard you don’t have the same hip precautions. I didn’t know when I went to her that she only does posterior, but since she could do bilateral and get me into surgery in a little over a month I went with her. I also felt very confident with her as she’s trained with the top OS here.

In Canada, because there is no direct cost for medical treatment, the demand for hip replacements is very high. Wait times can be up to 8-12 months just to see a surgeon and then up to a year or more for surgery, depending on the surgeon. If you go to the top guy, you’re going to wait.

On the good side the operation cost me nothing and I have enough sick time banked that I can be off for up to 6 months and still get my regular paycheque... for which I am very grateful! I told my work I’ll probably be off for 12 weeks, but it will depend on my recovery.
 
Wow, that’s awesome for you! Insurance here in the states is expensive and I still will owe 7300 out of pocket- another reason to have both at the same time - ouch$
So I’ve never hadn’t any medical problems and never surgery - what does OS stand for? Some type of surgeon I imagine?
My surgeon has done a lot of anterior hips and I really like him and feel comfortable with him.
Hope you’re having a good day!
 
OS is orthopaedic surgeon, I think! OA is osteoarthritis ... I learned that here from other bonesmarties!

PS... go with whatever approach your surgeon is most skilled at. The most important thing is to feel confident in their abilities!
 
I had anterior and it was a struggle to go back half days at just under 6 weeks.
I did it, but definitely not optimal..
I didn't have about of choices, and in hindsight...would have given it at least another month.
And when I did get home...icing and elevating was my ONLY activity.:ice:
When we go back, we are back...
Can be exhausting.:dead:
All recoveries are different, and we are not in charge.
My OS was very good at his approach..but deep healing from having femer incised, new cup and liner placed within socket, and stem inserted into fever will take the time it takes.
Hope for the best...prepare for the most time...glad you have support at work.
You will be a much more productive individual when given the proper recovery.
I'm now a powerhouse!:yes:
 
It is good to hear everyone's story so I can prepare for things they don't tell you! Can anyone answer this - I have what is considered a "handicapped" toilet - it sits higher, plus I am only 5'. Will that be sufficient, or do I need the bars on either side? Did anyone have trouble getting on and off?
 
I have a 4” toilet seat riser on a standard toilet. I’m 5’3” and it’s been fine. I’m using a 2 wheeled walker to get around so I use that instead of bars on either side. Bars would be better though. Getting off is harder than on. I still struggle at 4 weeks... bladder urgency can be an issue for the first while!
 
Back
Top Bottom