Guest viewing is limited

TKR Has anyone had a nerve ablation post tkr?

Hi Vida,
Stopping by to see how you're doing one month post procedure.
With any luck you're experiencing the progress you hoped for. We'd love to hear from you when you have time.
Best wishes!
@Vida
 
Well it’s been a month. I am still experiencing pain and the knee is still hot and swollen but I am just hoping it’s surgical related. I was likely being optimistic but I had hoped to be doing better by this point. Back to the surgeon next week and will try some light physio. No pain on riding the stationary bike and very little while walking. But, as ever, sitting is the biggest problem. My pain ramps up considerably: still making social events and travel impossible. When I see my surgeon I will discuss strategies to deal with possible arthrofibrosis ….. the building up of scar tissue …. It’s identified as a chronic issue for some patients post tkr. If things change for the better I will let you know.
 
Hi Vida,
Warmth is considered normal due to healing and increased blood flow to the site. The can actually last for months. This is not to be confused with "hot to the touch" which can be a sign of infection usually combined with
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

Recovery takes time and patience and you're only one month removed, so please give it more time.
Wishing you all the best for your appointment with your surgeon next week and assuming he'll offer reassurance and strategies for you to implement moving forward. Let us know how it goes if you feel like sharing.
All the best! @Vida
 
Hi Vida,
Warmth is considered normal due to healing and increased blood flow to the site. The can actually last for months. This is not to be confused with "hot to the touch" which can be a sign of infection usually combined with
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

Recovery takes time and patience and you're only one month removed, so please give it more time.
Wishing you all the best for your appointment with your surgeon next week and assuming he'll offer reassurance and strategies for you to implement moving forward. Let us know how it goes if you feel like sharing.
All the best! @Vida
Thank you. My knee has been just as warm and swollen since day 12 post tkr. That’s almost two years. I feel it’s permanent.
 
Have you ever read the exercise our, CricketHip, leaves members on occasion?
I'll leave it just in case you haven't and are interested in giving it a dedicated try.

Jamie from admin once explained that It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

BoneSmart FA, CricketHip, is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain - you may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval. Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.
 
Thanks that technique is worth a try. I actually have been to a lymphatic drainage practitioner. I am aware of its efficacy after using it post mastectomy. Plus my husband routinely massages the leg from the knee up to the groin. After cycling on the stationary bike every morning, I lie with my legs up the wall and massage slowly from the knee to the groin with a special tool. Am open to everything.
 
It sounds as though you're doing everything you should. But, are you doing too much? It's such a slippery slope to navigate, I totally understand. How long are you riding the stationary bike? And the massage? Is it gentle touch? I know you know those things, but I also know you want to be better and yourself. Maybe back off the bike & see if you have any difference. Or lessen how long you ride? Its all an experiment to see what helps you.

FYI my right knee is still swollen and slightly warm on a daily basis.
 
My tkr was November 2021. On paper it was a success: I have full rom and the prosthesis is stable. I can walk 4K, cycle on the stationary bike and do gentle Pilates. But my knee is permanently swollen and whatever activity I do, I am in constant pain… a 5-6 …. which has left me depressed and unable to participate fully in family life. Sitting is the worst. At this point I am so over a long term Tylenol and ibuprofen regimen, with the odd Tramadol when desperate, it didn’t help at all anyway.

My surgeon has been very supportive: on my second post tkr anniversary he went in and removed a large amount of scar tissue. But that didn’t resolve my pain. Since then I have had two more cortisone shots but nothing changed. Now he has referred me to a nerve specialist for potential ablation. I have to travel to see this physician but right now I will try anything. Has anyone had any benefit from an ablation or similar procedure?
 
Thanks. Me too. I have learned from reading studies that a much higher percentage of patients than we imagine are left with debilitating chronic pain post tkr. My surgeon has only had five such patients and has so far resolved things for three of them. I am beyond frustrated that one of them is me but I keep moving forward!
 
Welcome back, @Vida. Sorry to read that you are still struggling with nerve pain. I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience with this, but I'm sure others will stop by to share their experiences.

Please notice that I've merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. We ask that you have just one recovery thread for each surgery because keeps all your recovery information in one place, making it easier for us to review your history before we provide advice. If you have multiple threads, you will miss posts and advice left for you in your original thread, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated.

So please post any additional updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. You may want to Bookmark this thread to make it easier to find. I did change the thread title to reflect your newest concern.

For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/how-can-i-find-my-threads-and-posts.56840/
 
I’m sorry you’re still in so much pain. I’m also in that category that didn’t have a good outcome, and it’s been 7 years, this month. I’m not in a lot of pain, just some major discomfort at times, but thankfully, not always. I don‘t like how my PKR turned out, I have more limitations since my surgery than I had before. It’s frustrating when my 3 second opinions found nothing to fix.

Like you, though, I keep moving forward, thankful that I can manage as well as I do. I hope somewhere in your future you find a solution to your pain. :console2:
 
The scar tissue removal and two subsequent cortisone shots did not in any way resolve my pain. I am now awaiting a rather uncomfortable sounding procedure called cryoneurolyis that will hopefully freeze the damaged nerves that they now believe are to blame. Talk about a journey.
 
I’m sorry you’re still in so much pain. I’m also in that category that didn’t have a good outcome, and it’s been 7 years, this month. I’m not in a lot of pain, just some major discomfort at times, but thankfully, not always. I don‘t like how my PKR turned out, I have more limitations since my surgery than I had before. It’s frustrating when my 3 second opinions found nothing to fix.

Like you, though, I keep moving forward, thankful that I can manage as well as I do. I hope somewhere in your future you find a solution to your pain. :console2:
So sorry to hear that. There really are more unhappy people than we read about.
 
I'm so sorry, Vida, to hear that you are still in so much pain. :sad:

Please keep us posted on how the cryoneurolyis works for you.....
 
Vida, also interested in the cryoneurysis procedure as this has also been recommended to me, at 13 months and unable to walk any distance without pain. The ablations can be freezing or burning from what I understand.
 
I am scheduled for April 10. I have to travel some distance as no one offers this nearby but that’s fine. I am told it will be freezing and will be done in 90 minutes, in hospital under guided ultrasound. Until now, cryoneurolysis has been used to help people pre tkr surgery, with a view to reducing post surgical pain. My surgeon says I am the first patient he has referred for the procedure post surgery and he is hoping my experience will help others who struggle. It’s a private procedure that costs C$882.

At the very least it should offer temporary relief. With luck up to a year, until the treated nerves regenerate. However, with careful rehabbing I am told it could be permanent. I am hopeful.
 
I pray it works for you. I'd say it's certainly worth a try! Please let us know how it goes.
 
Was wondering if you had a nuclear bone scan to check for infection or moving of the implant? In Alberta we have this procedure covered by provincial health plan.
 
Thanks. I had blood tests to check for infection months back but not a nuclear bone scan. My OS says all is structurally fine: in November he spent 40 mins checking the joint while removing lots of scar tissue. I look great on paper and have almost perfect ROM. He can’t explain the warmth and swelling. I am hopeful that this procedure will relieve the pain.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom