Guest viewing is limited

TKR Has anyone had a nerve ablation post tkr?

I'm so sorry, Vida...... :sad:
 
I am exactly 12 months out from my tkr. It has truly been a miserable year. My knee has been grotesquely swollen and the pain excruciating. My surgeon said he would not do a scope/scar tissue check until the swelling reduced as it would only make things worse. He has been supportive, seeing me every few months, but predicted I was one of a small group of patients who would take 14 months to recover. It appears that he was exactly right. Three weeks ago, something changed virtually overnight. The swelling rapidly decreased and the awful pain I felt on the outer side of the knee turned into the milder discomfort I expected post surgery. So I cancelled my next week appointment: I am not subjecting myself to any more surgical intervention. I moved my recliner out of the living room and life now seems more normal. If things keep progressing this way, I will soon put all this behind me. After a couple of physio based setbacks, I finally ditched the exercises three months ago. My OS agreed saying just do what you want to do, it will be fine. What I believe saved me is riding my stationary bike with zero tension. For the last few months I have consistently done it for half an hour to an hour every day. It was the only activity I could manage without pain and, in the end, I think it helped resolve the adhesion issue.
 
@Vida, I moved your post from Stiff Knee NC's thread to your own. That way you will have a record of your journey all in one place. Plus, you don't want to railroad Stiff Knee NC's thread. Everyone can answer you here instead of there. :flwrysmile:

It sounds like time is finally on your side and your healing is almost complete. It's great to hear how much you have improved!
 
Three weeks ago, something changed virtually overnight. The swelling rapidly decreased and the awful pain I felt on the outer side of the knee turned into the milder discomfort I expected post surgery.
So happy to read this! I'm sure you are very relieved that things are finally improving. Wishing you a wonderful holiday and a happy (and painfree!) new year.
:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
So glad that things have miraculously improved!! Happy Holidays and best wishes for a Happy New Year!
:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
It’s 15 months post op. I had three weeks with reduced pain and swelling in mid December, so I started gentle physio and immediately ballooned up.

I wonder how many people are still experiencing pain at this stage in their recovery?
 
Mods could you change the title of this thread to Pain at 15 months post op anyone?
 
I changed your title for you. :flwrysmile:


It’s 15 months post op. I had three weeks with reduced pain and swelling in mid December, so I started gentle physio and immediately ballooned up.
I’m so sorry this issue continues. :console2:

Please remind me what your doctor has done to investigate your prolonged pain and swelling? Has he done any metal allergy tests? Blood tests for infection? MRI, CT scan, or an ultrasound?
 
No infection as I have had blood tests for another issue. He has always said he would go in to look but not until the swelling had gone down. When it finally went down at exactly a year, I was pain free. Now it is back and the pain has returned. I can still walk 5 k but it is still very sore. Feels like adhesions or scar tissue on the exterior of the knee. Constant pain varying between a 3-5. It helps to ride the stationary bike.
 
Have you had a second opinion?
 
No. I have been so happy with my OS. He did a brilliant job on my hip. I haven’t seen him since November…. Will make an appointment and ask around re. who best to see for a second opinion.
 
Your second opinion should be from someone that has no contact with your current doctor. He/she needs to look at your knee with new eyes. I think it would be a good idea to look for another opinion.
 
At 22 months post tkr, with no change in the level of pain and swelling, last week I underwent an arthroscopic procedure to clean out scar tissue. Interestingly I opted for a nerve block and spinal so I could watch the procedure in the or and chat to the surgeon. It took him 40 minutes to remove scarring from around the joint, including a couple of thick bands. Most of the scarring was on the outside of the knee, exactly where I have had chronic pain and swelling. He did say it was not surprising and should resolve my long standing misery. Five days later I am showering, walking fairly comfortably and doing all my usual activities of daily living. I am going slow, and regularly icing and elevating, as there is still a fair bit of post operative pain. But for the first time in months I am feeling optimistic that this solution will allow me to get on with my life. I was told in theatre that some people just produce a lot of scar tissue. Cross fingers.
 
I surely do hope this helps you! Please give us the date of this procedure so we can update your signature. :flwrysmile:
 
:fingersx: I have mine crossed for you too! Glad to read you're feeling optimistic. May it bring you the relief you deserve.
Please keep us posted, Vida.
@Vida
 
I hope this was the answer for you, Vida! It's good news you are doing so well so soon after. :flwrysmile:
 
@Vida i am wishing you continued recovery. Please keep posting your progress as I feel I am on a similar path. I am having a phone consult today to see if I am a candidate for arthroscopic lysis of adhesions. Pain and swelling that goes on for months is so frustrating. This gives me hope.
 
@Vida. Thank you for updating your story.

I hope you will continue to post progress reports over the coming weeks and months. I know your experience will be helpful to other members who are struggling with adhesions and considering this procedure.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom