THR Happy again - my crying days are over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nylsor I hope you have a wonderful day up in London and the weather couldn't be better for it.Its years since we were there as any city break would have been a waste of time over the past 2 and a half years due to me not being able to walk and you need a good pair of legs and plenty of stamina but I can't wait to be recovered enough to visit London again. I hope you both have a great day
 
@daycat I read your story with interest as I went through a similar experience when trying to get my arthritic hip acknowledged. I have a progressive degenerative neurological condition - syringomyelia - which seems to be little understood in the medical world. It DOES make my joints stiff, and occasionally painful, but nothing like the hip pain I am getting.

Anyway, once I got on the list, things have moved fairly rapidly, and I am so glad as my hip has just about given up the ghost now! I get my new noon Friday 31 May and I canf't wait!
 
Nylsor Hello dear. I hope you're doing well and feeling your spirits are lifted a little by all of this tom-foolery! :) It helps to have support and someone to laugh with, doesn't it?
You must have a very good command of the English language with the many years of experience teaching. I bet you were a great teacher. Yes, there are a few of them around on this forum.
Enjoy your weekend. It's a holiday here - Memorial Day - when we honor our fallen soldiers. Many people have Monday off from work, and there are local parades. Our weather isn't cooperating - it's very wet and chilly here on the East Coast. But it'll get nice and warm again next week. Take care. Tell you hubby he's a hero on our forum for his willingness to lend a 'helping hand'!:heehee:
 
Hi Kim22 Well, we had the most marvellous day in the West End - and guess what? My lovely husband bought me a pair of shoes! Since last September, all I could bear to wear on my feet were flat, black shoes (the uglies). As I was in too much pain to go anywhere it wasn't a big deal and post-op I felt they were the most sensible thing to wear as the weather was cold and wet and I didn't want to slip. It was a lovely day today but still a bit too cold to wear sandals so out came the black uglies again which just remind me of miserable, painful times and which didn't look too attractive on a bright, sunny day. We went into Clarks in Oxford Street and there was a display of flat shoes in beautiful colours - ideal for post THR. I tried on several pairs and chose a pair of lovely, fashionable brogue type shoes in soft leather with little laces and fancy cut out sides. And whoever it was that said we shouldn't walk in the same shoes as we wore pre-op was correct. The difference when I put on these shoes was remarkable. I can walk just fine, but wearing the new shoes I felt that my posture was much improved. We also had a lovely lunch in our favourite restaurant and I kept the promise I made at Xmas when I could barely swallow my food I was in so much pain and I vowed that I wouldn't return until I was pain free. I had plenty of sit-downs and little rests throughout the day and although I'm a bit stiff and tired I felt like a new me and my new hip didn't give me any trouble at all. Am just going to have a nice warm bath to relax my muscles and early to bed:sleep: Goodnight, Ros
bottomshollow - please can you change the title of my thread to ' Happy again - my crying days are over' - :thankyou:
 
ellasmummy - good luck with your surgery on the 31st. Make sure you read all the good advice and articles on this forum. How I wish I had found it months ago - but never mind - better late than never. And don't forget to let us all know how you get on. Be prepared for some rough days but remember that 'all things pass'.
ByGosh - I had the most marvellous day ( see the post to Kim22 ) . The weather here has been awful for May. We've had very few warm, sunny days but the weather today matched my mood - sunny and warm. And yes, my husband is my hero. If it hadn't been for him I would have found the pre-op months incredibly difficult due to the non-diagnosis, pain, and then the shock of finding I needed a THR. He is Irish (real Irish) and prior to his retirement, he worked in construction and has no medical training whatsoever. Pre-op he used to massage my back and legs when I cried with pain, post-op he watched and learnt when the nurses showed him how to change my dressing and how to put on my compression stockings (so very tight) and took them off every morning and washed my feet and legs, creamed them and put clean stockings on. He learned all about the 90 degree rule and ensured I didn't break it. I could go on and on. We've been married for forty-five years and I think I'm one very lucky woman. And he never turns a hair when I ask him to massage me - no matter what bits :wink:
 
Wow Nylsor what a wonderful day you have had shopping and having a lovely meal with your hubby who by the way sounds like one great guy.I don't know how people get through this experience without a supportive partner. Congratulations on your new shoes which sound very smart as well as comfortable. Which colour did you go for ? I am sure you will sleep well after such an uplifting day.I have also had poor experiences on days out because of pain and poor mobility due to my O/A in the past and like you I intend to return to lay to rest the unhappy memory when I feel I am ready.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Happy again - my crying days are over!
Nylsor, thread title has been changed per your request!
 
Nylsor, so glad you are feeling so much better. It was probably me who suggested new shoes, because new shoes have been on my mind a lot lately. Just indulged in two new pairs, but I am not sure yet if I will keep them. Shoes make the woman....and never truer than after a THR. :)

Sharon
 
sharonslp - Keep them both Sharon! When are you going on your cruise? We love cruising. We only went on our first cruise five years ago when we cruised to SE Asia with Princess - and we were hooked! We stayed three nights in Bejing, then cruised for 16 nights and then three nights in Bangkok. We loved it - such an interesting itinerary. Then two years ago we cruised the Caribbean for 14 nights, again with Princess, and we stayed four nights pre-cruise and two nights post-cruise in Ft Lauderdale. We had such a happy time. This year was meant to be our big year! And it still is but we didn't know we'd be taking an extra bit of luggage with us. My new hip! We celebrated our 45th W/A at the beginning of this month, my 65th birthday is in June, it will be 50 years since my husband and I met in July, our lovely daughter will be 35 in September and she and our super SIL celebrate their 10th W/A also in September. So we planned and booked a big holiday and we're all going together. At the beginning of September we fly into Calgary, then Banff for 3 nights, Rocky Mountaineer Gold Leaf for 2 nights to Vancouver, 3 nights in the Pan Pacific and then a 7 night cruise to Alaska with Celebrity. It was nearly all scuppered by the OA diagnosis and the THR but I've been cleared to go and I can't wait! :yay: The weather here in London is lovely again today - a bit of sunshine certainly lifts your mood :SUNsmile: Take care Ros
 
Ros, this will be the first cruise ever for my SO. I've been on a river cruise (LOVED it), and I did a 3 day Bahamas cruise long ago when Disney had The Big Red Boat. That one...not so much....seasick. So I am a little concerned about the Alaska cruise; I will be heavily fortified with dramamine or something like it.

We are leaving in less than three weeks!!! I'm so not ready! We are flying to Vancouver two days early to give us a bit of time to see the city. We plan to spend a full day doing the hop-on hop-off bus to hit the highlights. Then we board the Holland America Statendam for the 7 day Inside Passage cruise. When we disembark in Seward, we start a five day land tour.....the Kenai Peninsula, Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks. I am totally geeked about this. I'm not worried about my hips, but my Celebrex will go along with me....there will be a lot of walking and I'm not taking chances. (And lots of eating....that part worries me. I'm just a girl who can't say no.)

Sharon
 
Hi Ros and Sharon both your cruises sound fantastic ! I have never been on a cruise before but 2 of our friends are well accustomed to them and have asked us to do a Mediterranean Cruise with them later in the year. I have put the idea on hold due to developing Tendonitis and of course I will have to check its ok with the O S first but still waiting for an appointment. There is no flying involved but there would be a very long car journey down to Southampton and I understand this is not recommended after a hip replacement.My main concern is that If the tendinitis does not resolve itself then walking would be an issue for excursions and I couldnt bear another spoiled holiday due to pain.Obviously I am hoping that I will be walking much better by then but don't want to commit just yet.
 
Hi, Nylsor, So glad to hear that your spirits have lifted. Your ideas about new shoes are great. I have hated wearing ugly shoes, even though they saved my life by letting me walk. It will be great to try to find some pretty new ones that are comfortable after I have my surgery. I know that you will recover quickly, especially because your cute hubby is so willing to "lend a hand"! :yahoo:
 
Nylsor I love the new name of your thread because it's a reflection on how your mood has turned around 360 degrees just by finding all of these lovely people on this forum. Everyone is so willing to come to each others' rescue and give some advice and friendship and share their own stories. It's truly a marvel to be able to support one another, without ever even meeting! I think it's saved me from despair as well. And it's provided much needed advice as well as many, many good laughs. So I couldn't be happier for you! :)
Your husband sure is a keeper, as we say here in America! And as you well know having stayed with him for 45 wonderful years. He wins the gold star husband award in my book! What a grand chap! He has done so much hands on care for you both before surgery and after. Those pre-op days were so miserable with all of the pain - I remember the back and leg pains, too. The massages must have been like a gift from heaven. And post-op, tending to you better than a nurse would. Tell him that he has all of my admiration and esteem for being so wonderful to you.
You and sharonslp both had great cruises to remember, and more in the future! Lucky for you two. I've never been on a cruise, but my in-laws would go, and they loved them. They do sound so luxurious and relaxing and great fun. Sharon - Alaska! wow, how exotic that sounds. I hear it's absolutely beautiful. You're getting well-prepared with all of the medications you may need. Where is Middle of the Mitten? I'm not at all familiar with that saying. Are you from the US? or the UK? Sorry to be so ignorant with geography. Enjoy your wonderful adventure, and don't worry about the eating - wait til you're back home to worry about that! :)
Nylsor You have a bunch of big occassions to celebrate, don't you? Happy Anniversary to you and your daughter and SIL, Happy Birthday to you and your daughter. It sounds like a terrific trip, too. I'm glad you're able to go and I hope it's as wonderful as it sounds.
 
Nylsor Ros, what a wonderful London outing, food, shoes, and especially hubby! And your trip coming up-- that sounds fantastic :) I thought I'd caught up with you since the thread name change, but I saw that I hadn't-- great new name!!!! :) You make me wonder if I need to replace the pricey shoes I'm wearing right now, which I bought a little less than a year ago. They do not seem to be affecting my gait, and are perfect for me in this weather.

So I am a little concerned about the Alaska cruise; I will be heavily fortified with dramamine or something like it.
sharonslp Sharon, absolutely no need to be concerned. i saw the Statendam (gorgeous ship!) several times in July 2009 when we did that similar itinerary on the Norwegian Pearl (huge ship, weird decor aimed at the loud young heavy drinking crowd LOL). it is a very smooth cruise. The only time we had even a hint of pre-trouble was one night when we went from i forget where to i forget where else at top speed. No turbulence, just high speed. I think every ship has to do that, to make room for others. Prepare to really enjoy your day in Glacier Bay-- it is magical! Keep your eyes open for whales. Take a whale watching excursion if possible-- my mother watched EIGHT episodes of bubble netting before they had to move off. The guide was astounded. So, of course, was my mom!
 
sharonslp Before I run off to google maps, I just wanted to say Yay! :yay: You finally got your purple Keens! I remember you posting about those Keens over on the shoe thread. They'll be perfect for your cruise! woohoo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom