Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Halfway there...transitioning issues<<

I started going twice a week to a well trained massage therapist who has been gently working on my knees and legs. It has been wonderful and helps with the tight and numb feeling.
 
That's interesting Alaska.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My tight feeling just started getting less around 4-5 months. Then as it lessened, before I realized it, it was gone. I don't know when exactly that happened. As the swelling inside and outside your knee goes away, so will that tight feeling.
 
Me too - for knee #1 that is. However, interestingly, this phenomenon didn't bother me at all with knee #2!
 
Is there a "knee tightness recovery" thread here anywhere? I'd love to see when others experienced this, when it appeared and how long it lasted, etc. I tried a search but didn't find anything.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
No, I'm afraid there isn't. There really isn't any "normal" or average time when the tight feeling goes away. Be assured that it will disappear, eventually.

We do have this article, though:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

Some of the tightness is swelling, but the tight band feeling can last for quite a long time.
 
I did read that article, it just seems so many people had this situation, and it's such a big part of recovery, it would be beneficial to know how long it lasted for folks on here.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Everyone's recovery and tightness is individual and different. My tightness was something I complained about for quite a while. It is a normal thing in this recovery.
 
What does "quite a while" mean for you? How long were your knee/s tight?


Bi-Lateral TKR February 7, 2017
Sent from iPhone
Excuse typos
 
I can't remember the exact time it stopped. There was no 'tight this day, not tight the next day'. It wasn't like that, at all. It depended on my activities. I think it was up to 4 to 5 months, if I stressed the knee, it would be very stiff in the mornings. Stiffness and tightness are the same thing to me, just different terms. If I did little, there would be less stiffness. You are welcome to read my thread that I have a link to below. After falling on it 3 weeks ago, it's stiff in the mornings because of lack of activity. So, it's a fine line. When is it too much, when is it too little. It all depends on the time frame and your knee.
 
I'm just at 3 months tomorrow and still have quite a bit of it. It's worse the more I do during the day. I remember with my last surgery it was there for at least 4-5 months maybe even longer. I remember it lasted longer than I thought it should. This time I'm more prepared for it to stick around for awhile.
 
It was at least 5 months and possibly 6 before the tight feeling was gone. My dad had 2 TKRs and never had that rubber band feeling. Every knee is different so it's different for each person.
 
Yes everyone certainly recovers different. Each knee is different on the same person. But it seems that most people are saying here that the rubber band feeling went away about 4-6 months post op.

That's helpful info to me and I appreciate those that provided feedback on this issue.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We all here try to help each other. I'm glad we helped ease your mind.
 
I did read that article, it just seems so many people had this situation, and it's such a big part of recovery, it would be beneficial to know how long it lasted for folks on here.

What does "quite a while" mean for you? How long were your knee/s tight?
You won't get a definite answer, partly because everyone is different, and partly because the stiffness goes away so slowly that you often don't notice exactly when it has gone.
 
I am just passed 4 months and it's as tight as ever. I'm going on tour in Europe (I live in the US) at 7 months post op and really hoping I improve in the next 3 months.


Bi-Lateral TKR February 7, 2017
Sent from iPhone
Excuse typos
 
I had the tight band for about 6 months and it gradually started going away. Although it was annoying, it didn't seem to bother me much when I accepted it as part of the process. As others have mentioned, I'm sure, there's no rushing it. These things resolve in time. Being patient is the hardest part. You do sound like you're doing quite well!
 
@mpj200, it's really not necessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)
 
The tight band sensation lasted about 8 months in my first knee but barely 6 weeks in the second!
Go figure! :shrug:
 
Back
Top Bottom