Bilateral TKR Halfway there...transitioning issues<<

And I wouldn't use any resistance on the bike. I use it to loosen up my knee and keep the bend/flex happening. Always feels good after the first minute or so. I still don't use any resistance yet.
 
That's good because mine is broke. It feels like there is a slight amount of default resistance (it's not plugged in) which feels perfect for me.

The bike I used to use at PT had a default with what felt like zero resistance. And it was hard to use because I would peddle way to fast. To the point that it was jerky.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @Celle! I'm pretty well maxed out on icing. I have 4 Velcro ice wraps, but they don't last long.

I have an ice machine that I use mainly, but I only have one and both my knees were replaced. So it takes 2 hours for me to ice each knee 1 hour.

Can't sleep with it because I toss and turn too much and am already tethered to a CPAP machine.

As far as exercise, my PT is telling me I should only exercise every other day, and rest the knees on the off days. Are you saying I should use the bike everyday?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry for the delay in responding about the tubigrip. It seemed to help a little bit. Some compression but not tight and soft material.

I used the bike for a max of 10 minutes at a time--and I was peddling slowly, more for the ROM than for strengthening or anything. I did only a few heel slides a day and maybe a short walk.

I never slept with the ice machine on overnight after the first week or so. But I would ice right up until I was ready to go to sleep and then throw off the cuff or the gel pack. :heehee:
 
No, you don't need to use the bike at all. It's useful, but not essential. I managed fine without one.
I just thought that you might balk at stopping all exercise.
 
Thanks for the info Kneeper!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
No, you don't need to use the bike at all. It's useful, but not essential. I managed fine without one.
I just thought that you might balk at stopping all exercise.

I did stop all exercises about 10 days ago. But I think, at some point, I will feel more comfortable stretching the knees 3 times a week with 4 days off.


Bi-Lateral TKR February 7, 2017
Sent from iPhone
Excuse typos
 
This is it @mpj200. I got it from Kmart over here for about $20.

[Bonesmart.org] Halfway there...transitioning issues<<
 
Gotcha. I already have a nice stationary bike from previous surgeries. Looks like they accomplish the same thing.


Bi-Lateral TKR February 7, 2017
Sent from iPhone
Excuse typos
 
It seems to help a little but makes me very sleepy.
Well it will, it's a synthetic opiate. But there is a reason for it making is drowsy - it makes sure we limit our activity and get plenty of rest!
I'm confused about exercising. About a week before I joined this group, I did read most of the articles. And stopped all exercising. Still feel like I'm going backwards with my progress. I realize that may be from over doing it, but I need a plan going forward. What type of exercises should I be doing?
None! It's not necessary.
 
Well it will, it's a synthetic opiate. But there is a reason for it making is drowsy - it makes sure we limit our activity and get plenty of rest!.

I guess I didn't realize that I needed to think about getting enough rest at 4 months post op. I am working now on cutting back on some of my daily activity. Especially going out at night to eat, etc. That really seems to trigger soreness.


Bi-Lateral TKR February 7, 2017
Sent from iPhone
Excuse typos
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am 11 weeks post op an also have that rubber band tightness. I had a PKR about 6 years ago and the one thing I remember about my recovery is that rubber band feeling lasted a long time. Way past when I thought it should be gone. I'm resigned to the fact that this will probably be with me for quite awhile as well. If I can work out my hamstring issues I think I can deal with this. That seems to be what is keeping me from walking normally now.
 
Going out to eat may trigger soreness because your leg is down and not elevated for a length of time. I was still elevating after work at 4-5 months post op.
 
Going out to eat may trigger soreness because your leg is down and not elevated for a length of time. I was still elevating after work at 4-5 months post op.

Probably so. Sometimes it's not eating. It could be a meeting. But it's the same effect. I figured it was because I was on my feet more. Going to the car, parking, walking, sitting, standing.

I'm guessing it's both. Being on your feet more and elevating less.


Bi-Lateral TKR February 7, 2017
Sent from iPhone
Excuse typos
 
Yep, you're just 4 months into a year long recovery, so spending time after work with the leg up and icing may be necessary. I often propped my leg up on the booth beside me when at a restaurant. Although it wasn't "elevated" it was better than letting it hang down.
 
It could be a meeting. But it's the same effect.
It's what the pundits call the "Movie sign in TKR" because it was first notice when patients complained about an increase in pain after going to the movies. Of course, this is a US thing. I suppose in the UK it would be known as the "film sign"!!!!
 
I agree that you can quit PT. You already have the ROM, and with your daily activities you have all the exercise you need. That tight rubber band stiffness was the last thing to leave me. Gentle revolutions on my recumbent bike first thing in the morning and after sitting for a while helped that some.
 
So how long did it take you before rubber band stiffness finally left? Did it gradually go away and just disappear one day?

I'm just looking forward to when it's not all day, everyday. Nothing seems to help it and I have it in both knees.

Riding my bike only makes them tighter.


Bi-Lateral TKR February 7, 2017
Sent from iPhone
Excuse typos
 
Back
Top Bottom