Bilateral TKR Halfway there...transitioning issues<<

And that may be what's going on with me. My pain has gotten worse the past two months. But that's also when I started weaning off of Dilaudid (Morphine).


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What strikes me is that you were improving, and then fairly suddenly began experiencing more and increasingly worse pain. As someone who had a similar experience, albeit mine was closer to the one year post-op mark when I began the backslide, I wonder if something has gone wrong inside? Shouldn't you call your OS and insist on an earlier appointment? And maybe this just is a variation on Josephine's comments, but who knows?

I was tested for everything under the sun - allergies to the replacement components, infections, loosening of the replacement parts - but it turned out the tendons surrounding my knee capsule had stretched and caused instability. It doesn't sound like that is your problem as your complaint is about the tight band feeling (oh how I remember that!) and not swelling and I had quite a lot of swelling from the instability, but still... worth considering.

I really hope you get relief fast.
 
I called and got worked in 4 weeks ago. About a month after I first started feeling this rubber band tightness and some increased pain. He said everything was fine. No swelling and my knee was still bending fine.

He also said that the pain where I pointed on the side of my knee was a common area for pain. And needed more time to heal. I can't remember if he said it was soft tissue or scar tissue? And the tightness was just going to take some time too he said.

I'm curious what test found that your tendons had stretched? Would an X-ray show that?

I have called my OS and I'm on a waiting list to get in sooner. But he's only in my area one day a week. And within an hour drive one other day a week. And he's booked those days solid. I have an appointment already for my 6 month post op the week after next.

My OS does more knee replacements than any doctor in the south east of the US. He's actually not my normal surgeon. I went to this Dr because he's supposed to be the best. But he's also very busy and hard to get in to see on short notice.

I work with an NFL team and am able to get in to see the Drs I choose. And this Dr is very experienced in TKR. Doesn't like to do Bilateral. But I'm only 56 and a former athlete so he agreed.

I also have to wonder how much of my pain is because I had both knees done at the same time?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I also had a bilateral. As annoying an answer as it is, everyone is different and heals at a different pace. I was also very athletic and only 58 when I had the BTKR, but I don't think that's why we had problems.

The only way the OS learned about the stretched tendons was during the revision surgery - an x-ray would not show it and MRIs are virtually useless because of the metal in the replacements.
 
I understand. I guess I wonder why OS's bother with X-Rays? What are they hoping to see? Or what are they hoping NOT to see?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They could see if the replacement parts are not sitting properly, they can see if there is a surrounding bone fracture, they can see if there is something obviously wrong with the cement holding the replacements in place....

Like you, my original surgeon keep telling me how great I was doing based on a superficial exam and the x-rays, even though at the one year mark I was definitely not feeling like it was okay.
 
Ah, so hopefully I will at least be able to rule out fractures, cement issues and that the parts are where they are supposed to be. I guess that will narrow it down if my problems continue. I think I would feel a lot better if this vice grip, rubber band tightness would go away. That would be a good start.

And most people on here are saying that part lasted until about 5-7 months post op.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I definitely believe we bilateral are slower, although there are some people who 'seem'to breeze through it. This makes us slower ones feel despondent and make us certain that something is wrong.
Right from the start we have to fully use our operated knees without the benefit of relief and help from the 'good' knee.
I have had to force myself to stop comparing to others and thinking that I am not progressing as I should
 
I don't have pain, but I still get that tight band feeling. It was still really tight at 6 months. I'm now at 9 months, and while still there, it is getting less noticeable (either that or I am getting so used to it that I just ignore it now).

@DebM is right... We have to force ourselves to not compare or we will drive ourselves nuts. My recovery was fairly pain free and I was able to return to work/activity fairly quickly, but I get sooooooo frustrated when I compare my bend to others'.

Good luck and I hope your doc can find a solution to your pain.
 
Edit. Found it.

What happened to Dzina's reply? I got an email she replied but it's not showing up here? Was her post moved? It seemed helpful to me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you found it - they put it under a thread of my own - hope it might help:smile2:
 
What kind of dressing is that? I'd like to try it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I put a small amount of vaseline over the incision, cover it with several 3"X2" non-adherent pads and then place Tegaderm film over that to secure it - it takes 2 4' x 4.5" and 1 2.5 x2.5 film to accomplish that - let me know if it helps you:smile2: Anything to get rid of that god awful claw/vice/clamp feeling!
 
Awesome. And it made a noticeable difference in your tightness? Excuse my ignorance but where can I get Tegaderm film?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I order the Tegaderm from Amazon - while I have the dressing on it does make a difference - I don't wear it 24/7 not sure how that would work but early evening and through the night it works - as well as times I've used it for several hours during the day - it just provides a period of relief from the miserable "claw"
 
Thanks! I'm gonna give it a shot!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Dzina Do you put new Tegaderm pads on each time or can you reuse them? They seem expensive.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mpj200 you could also try plastic food wrap/cling wrap. I use this because my scar is sensitive and it works perfectly to stop the bed clothes/trousers from irritating it. I use a strip long enough to cover the scar and about 4/5 inches wide, put some moisturiser (or Vaseline) over my knee, smooth on the wrap and that's it. It stays on all night (or day) and is cheap.
 
Back
Top Bottom