Guest viewing is limited

TKR Had a difficult time, feeling better<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried a chin strap? I think that the pressure from CPAP forces air out through your mouth and the strap holds your mouth closed so that doesn't happen. If the full mask doesn't stop the dryness try the strap.
 
Hmm, @FlaGranny a chin strap sounds interesting.

@dianehelen THANK YOU THANK YOU for that website re cleaning machine. Looks like it's worth every penny! Looks very easy as the cleaning process looks daunting.

@TML interesting that your doc wants you to have a sleep study! Sleep apnea might be the reason for your oxygen need. It's a whole new world of info I know so little about. When you are healed I guess it's a good idea.

I'm hunkered down, safe at home, lots of food, hoping my power stays on and not liking all the swaying trees right outside my condo,but I think they are firmly in the ground.
 
Stay away from those ferries! Nothing like hunkering down on an island.
 
@greatlakes so many people had to find motels or make alt arrangements. well they did have 4 days warning, but in an emergency there's no alternative....e.g. need for sophisticated medical treatment not available here.
But I'm safe and sound.
 
@mamazipp Glad you're safe and sound. Hopefully the storms will pass soon.
What brand/model CPAP do you have? One episode per hour is really good!! Glad that you are noticing the difference. My sleep has been so much better since I've been using CPAP.
Give the nasal pillows a little more time as they are comfortable, unobstrusive and you will like the freedom. I was plagued with dry mouth the first few weeks. You can try the chin strap and some people train the tip of their tongue to anchor on the upper gum ridge. I still wake up with a dry mouth once in a while but very infrequently.

@TML I had surgery to repair a broken wrist in August 2015 and was given general anesthesia. I required oxygen for quite a while after the anesthesia and the narcotics they gave me for pain. Have the sleep study as it might make a big difference in your sleep/quality of life. Good luck with knee #2 on Tuesday.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: TML
@birdinger I have a ResMed air sense 10 auto. It's good to know that your dry mouth settled some. Tonite I'm trying the more restrictive nose mask but it's hot and confining. Since they gave me two to try I may as well do that. But the nasal pillow is more comfortable.
What do you use?
 
mamazip I have the same machine that you do and I use the nasal pillow. I have had it for several months and I haven't had a problem with dry mouth until the last week or two. I am wondering if the pain meds are contributing to the dry mouth. I think if we were sleeping with our mouths open it would record an air leak, so I don't think it is that for me. If you do think you might be opening your mouth a chin strap might be helpful to use with the pillow and I think it would still be more comfortable than the more restrictive mask. Of course this is just my two cents worth, and you need to do what you think works best for you.
 
@mamazipp I also tried the nasal mask and was far more comfortable with the nasal pillows. I think @Ronsgirl is correct re: pain meds as they can give you a dry mouth as well. I have a Phillips Respironics DreamStation and a ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows. How is the weather up there?
 
When I was on CPAP I llked the nasal pillows also. Much more comfortable if you are a side sleeper too.
 
The pain Meds definitely contribute to dry mouth. When I was on the big doses of oxy I'd awaken with the driest mouth ever.
The nose mask lasted about one hour before I gave up on it and put on the pillow. That mask was uncomfortable, confining, hot.
The BIG STORM wasn't! It fizzled here. High wind for 15 minutes. But at least I've got plenty of food in the house!
@birdinger do you like your dreamstation?
 
I'm glad the storm didn't affect you at all. I'm sure you will get used to your CPAP and enjoy full nights of restful sleep.
 
I do like the DreamStation. The main CPAP companies are ResMed and Phillips Respironics and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I was initially on a fixed pressure of 7 but my sleep lab set the pressure to auto PAP (7-10) after surgery as I seemed to need a little extra pressure with the narcotic pain meds. With auto PAP the pressure can vary between the upper and lower range as you need it.
 
My machine, which is a loaner as I adjust to the whole thing, is set on auto between 5 and 12, I think. The rep told me that it's been pretty consistently around 12, according to their computer, when I'm asleep. It's fascinating. I think that after the trial period they then set it at a fixed rate according to the software. At least that's my understanding.
 
Mine is set to be between 8 and 12 and I don't have any ramp. It goes straight to 8 because I felt like I was suffocating when the pressure started out slow and worked its way up.
 
@Ronsgirl I stopped using my ramp about a month ago. Felt just like you. We are all around the same pressure. @mamazipp I think they will put it back at a fixed pressure once I finish with the pain meds. Narcotics, alcohol, etc. can relax muscles in the neck resulting in increased obstruction.
 
Hi @Tabbycat I'm adjusting to my nasal pillow mask, sleeping well I think, but then again I didn't think I wasn't sleeping well before, either! I'm waking up earlier, and that is a good thing, as I was sleeping late into the morning. The numbers are good but I don't yet feel more energetic. The good news is that the adjustment has been much easier than I thought. It's a work in progress.
 
I'm so glad you are adjusting. The energy will come. You've been sleep deprived a long time-- your body has some catching up to do.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom