Guest viewing is limited

TKR Had a difficult time, feeling better<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad you adjusting and sleeping well. The energy will happen, give it a little more time!!
 
It sounds like your adjustment to CPAP is similar to mine. I never felt a huge difference just a gradual increase in energy, restfulness, etc. You are doing amazingly well for so early in your therapy. I'm glad you were able to adjust to the pillows
 
@mamazipp

So glad you are getting adjusted to the cpap, but more importantly, better sleep!! It sounds like you are progressing very well with your knee too! I'm very happy to hear all the positive things that are happening!!

Jen
 
Thank you @ACDCJen
Things are better and better. It's been a long haul, but it's all uphill now, hopefully. This is such a great place for support and encouragement.
The CPAP is an interesting process and aside from the freak factor, as I call or (for how weird it looks) I'm happy that my sleep will be healthier, sounder, and the frequency of AFIB events is supposed to lessen. Fortunately I have it rarely.

@birdinger that is helpful to hear of about your gradual increase. Today I had my pressure set on one number instead of a trial range, so we'll see what that's like.
 
It takes a while to get used to it! But honestly after this first year I don't want to sleep without it. I struggled when I was up and down so much early on in the knee replacement process. But know that staying in bed and laying still is not an issue after 6 months anniversary coming up on knee replacements I love my CPAP again.
 
@birdinger they set it at 11.7. They said that was what it was going to most of the time when it was on auto. I used that last night. Too soon for me to say I noticed any difference. I still had 1.1 AHI. What is yours, Ruth?
 
It's on auto (7-10) right now and it's hitting about 8.7 90% of the time. I suspect they might set it to 9. My AHI has averaged .8 for the last two weeks. It's good that you're getting used to it. For years my husband has been telling me that I snore and that I might have sleep apnea. I was in denial but am so happy that I finally got diagnosed and am being treated. How has the knee been lately? Have you been on one of those lovely walks by the water? We live across from a branch of the Wisconsin river and I can walk along the river on a paved trail. Love the water.
 
@birdinger I have to confess that I haven't been walking much this week. After last weeks rainstorms I just got out of the routine. We've had some beautiful fall days this week but I've been feeling tired....which is why I was a bit confused as to why I wasn't feeling perky with the CPAP.
Do you snore now that you have CPAP? Your AHI is very good. They like it less than 1, preferably zero.
 
Hi @birdinger I could not sleep a wink last night with the CPAP set at 11. It just made me hyperventilate and I couldn't relax enough to sleep. They are turning it back to auto for the weekend. Hardest night. So here I am, nearly comatose from no sleep, and my monthly cleaning lady is here cleaning and I am useless. I usually spend the time organizing stuff while she cleans. I'm going to spend the afternoon sleeping when she goes.
Of course the lack of sleep might have been related to too many hours of tv election talk, talk, talk.
 
I hope you are able to adjust to the CPAP soon so that you can get some rest, it can't be easy sleeping with something attached to your face, I think I would also struggle with it.

I refuse to watch anything election related, I can't wait until it is over.

I hope you are able to sleep tonight...take care!
 
What was your auto set at again? I think putting your CPAP to auto back makes the most sense. I occasionally have an off night where I can't get to sleep and seem to fight the CPAP. In fact about a week after my TKR my AHI went up to 8 and the next night to 11. I'm not sure why but I was pretty concerned. That's when they set mine to auto and it's been good since. I guess I would advise you to see what the next few nights bring. You may have to take the mask off and read for a while and then try it again. I do that sometimes. Like TKR recovery, adjusting to CPAP is also somewhat of a roller coaster. It will get better but you may still have some "off" nights. Sounds like you're on top of it and communicating with your provider which is important. Here's to good sleep and this election being over!!!!
 
@birdinger My auto is 5-12 I think. I just had a nap with it on auto and I was much more comfortable. It is an adjustment until you get the right numbers. Another roller coaster ride to complemtent the TKR. Oh, fun!!!!
Do you think your AHI went up due to being on pain meds?
I really appreciate your sharing your experience with me.
:friends:
and, yes, here's to that election being over!
:cheers:
 
Mamazipp, thank you for your voice of reason in response to my panic. Your explanation about loss of control and vulnerability really resonated with me.

Hoping your sleep continues to improve, with all the positive effects that will bring.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Yes, Mamazipp, I do think my numbers went up due to pain meds. Once my CPAP was set to auto things settled down. Glad that you were more comfortable during your nap. You're right that it's all about getting the correct numbers! I'm happy to share my experiences as I have learned so much from all of you sharing your experiences in recovering from TKR.:SUNsmile:
 
When you talk about auto with the cpap, I take it you mean it will adjust and settle to the comfort you need. Now when they had a set number you were uncomfortable with that? Are you using the ramp on your machine. My level goes pretty high, but I set the ramp for 45 mins so I am usually in a sound state of sleep by the time the pressure has increased as much as needed. It's how I am the most comfortable, tried not using much ramp time and it was just to high and strong a pressure all at once and I also felt somewhat panicky and uncomfortable. If your not using your ramp setting try using that to slowly let your body adjust while your drifting off.
 
@zzevi thanks for your suggestion. I am using the ramp, but it takes me such a long time to fall asleep so I think the pressure kicked in while I was still awake. I thought the ramp wouldn't kick in until I was asleep, that was my understanding, but I guess after 45 mins it does.
How high does your pressure go?
I'm pretty tired tonight so I'm hoping I can fall asleep, but they did set it back to auto between 5-12.
 
Hope you keep adjusting to your new bed pal :dubious:

i know it does take some getting used to. i think it took my husband about six months till he was really used to it, and now cant sleep without it.

as for election coverage, i need a support group, im a junkie. my husband has restricted me to one hour a day of tv news channel surfing. I cheat tho on the tablet hehe. But yes I will be glad when its over, tho my liquor store and pharmacy will miss me :heehee:

trying a new recipe for dinner tonight someone recommended, its in the crock pot, so better get moving to get it started.
 
I've had a hard time telling what my pressure actually gets up too, I am thinking maybe 16 I am not sure tho, as I don't see any of that info on my new machine, need to investigate it more. I know it's high. (pressure when I originally started using cpap was set a 8, now it is set to adjust to what I need that works better for me.)
You know if you think you've used your ramp time up before drifting off, just restart the machine and it will start over with a fresh 45 mins of time. I know I've had to do that sometimes where it's taken longer to fall a sleep. I am real happy with my new machine that I got early Spring, I can track my sleep on my iPhone although sometimes it claims that I am sleeping better than I thought I did. The other night I scored a 100 on sleeping and for once I would agree with it as I did sleep really good that night, been battling some upper respitory (sp) crud and doing alot of coughing, used NyQuil and slept very soundly. ( Wed evening) But my usual score is between 96-99, but I'll have to see if I can find what level the air pressure is at when I am sleeping the most soundly, I know I snore really, really bad, and I am overweight which doesn't help. The more you use your machine the more comfortable you will become with it, I can't live with out it. Power outages at night are the pits and really lead to nights of distrubed sleep......lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom