Revision THR Gypsy has wandered into recovery

Six-week post-op followup with the OS in in the books! I have been graduated to a cane and released to get on with my daily life activities. My new hip hardware includes a dual-mobility cup so the dislocation risk is low. He said not to worry about the 90-degree rule anymore.

I have, and will always have, nonunion of the trochanter and the femur so my abductor muscles have nothing to attach to and therefore don't work very well. It is an unfixable issue. Hence, I will likely always have some degree of limp, which I can ease if I choose to use a cane. I am going to have to wrap my head around that.

My low back is sore and I asked for a PT prescription for that. The PA said that might go away with time as my body gets used to the new hip. My back was sore before the surgery so I will go ahead with the PT. It also feels quite stiff. The OS was less inclined for PT for the hip but more on board with PT for the back.:) He did say, several times -- if it hurts, don't do it!

Walking feels odd but I am a bit out out of practice. My husband is going to be out of town for a week, starting Saturday, so I hope things will feel more normal by then. Fortunately, my supervisor seems OK with my anticipated date to return to work. I feel I need a bit more time to feel "normal." And I must remember: heel, toe, heel, toe!
 
Be sure to take care of yourself and don't overdo. When your husband is gone, you can sit in a comfy chair, eat popcorn and watch movies!!
 
Went down the two steps into the garage to get something from the freezer and back up again. Baby steps!
 
That's how we do it.:)
No falling down and going boom!:no-fin:
 
I see by your signature you've been through a lot with that hip.
Take it slow and easy as you have been.
You must be doing well if hubby trusts you to be alone for a week. We'll be here for company if you need us.
Have a great day!
@Gypsy
 
@Mojo33, falling down and going boom is probably the last thing I ever want to do. Right now stairs are like Mount Everest to me so two was plenty! I hope stairs will become less fearsome in the future.

@Layla, my husband seems to have confidence in me. I certainly hope his confidence isn't misplaced! I don't plan on doing anything too wild while he is gone.

@skigirl, sounds like a delightful plan. And I won't have to share the remote.

I am happy to be off the walker, even if onto a cane. Emotionally, I have had ups and downs but I am grateful that physical recovery has been pretty uneventful. I have to be mindful that fretting about what I might or might not be able to do in the future isn't helpful.
 
I have to be mindful that fretting about what I might or might not be able to do in the future isn't helpful.

True that!
Sending all the best your way.:wave:
 
I too would like to send out my best regards to you and wish you a speedy recovery. I'm still limping as well and use my cain for walking, mostly just the longer walks. I try not to think to far ahead. Today is all I concern myself with.
 
Made my first trip to the mailbox with the cane, up and down the front steps and up and down the sloping driveway. I didn't try the driveway with the walker--it had wheels and I didn't want it to take off! Slowly, my universe is expanding again.
 
Well done! One day at a time. It's good you are being cautious - no need to push.
 
:egypdance:Glad you can get out some and SEE the world!
Hope your weekend is sweet.:SUNsmile:
 
Yea, baby steps at first. My first walk to the mailbox seemed like a mile and the 4 steps up onto my porch was like mountain climbing. Before you know it you'll be doing cartwheels to the mailbox. LOL
 
Great news, @Gypsy I'm happy for you.
You're making great progress! :happydance:
I hope you have a wonderful week.
 
I went to brunch with a friend this morning, then decided it was time to get the car washed and detailed. I stood or walked around the building's patio for about 45 minutes (they were very busy and quite thorough). Not so long ago I would have desperately sought out the nearest bench or chair, but today it felt pretty good to be up and about. Then went to TJMaxx/Homegoods. Pretty tuckered out and a bit sore by the time I got home. Now resting and listening to some Pink Floyd. Husband is out of town and I have to entertain myself, LOL.
 
What an active day you had. Sounds like a fun one too. Everything but waiting for the car to be detailed.
Love HomeGoods! It's my happy place. I was there today too. Consider icing tonite if you're sore.
Hope your night is peaceful and your week great!
@Gypsy
 
Hope you are "Comfortably Numb"

Have a good evening:friends:
 
@REM, no weightlifting or kick boxing to blame. I had developmental dysplasia of the hip and four surgeries by the time I was in kindergarten. I think there might have been some traction involved because I had a pin in my femur above the knee for a while, and a body cast, braces, and (my favorite!) orthopedic shoes. High-top brown ones, then saddle oxfords. I have dent and a scar from the pin and the whole array of scars from surgical approaches -- anterior, lateral, and posterior! Had I been athletically inclined (which I might have been had I not been the girl with the bad hip) I would have leaned toward softball. I could throw, catch, and hit. Couldn't run, though.

After working and going to school and working some more, volksmarches, ski trips, attempts at water skiing (one of my worst experiences ever!), having two hearty babies, and making some attempts at staying (or getting) fit, all while limping, increasing pain and stiffness hit in my mid-30s. That was the prognosis given in my teen years (when I had my last visit with my childhood orthopedist who said I could wear normal shoes if I wanted to) so it didn't surprise me when a hip replacement was suggested.

So I had my hip replaced. At my follow-up I was told that the implant was unstable (one of the main reasons for early revision, the others being infection or falling and busting something, or so I have been told) and would need to be revised. So I had revision no. 1. I had revision no. 2 because revision no. 1 never felt right and I was in constant pain. I was not happy to have surgery again but was happy to have much less pain and much better functional ability. That one lasted about 21 years. Bone loss around the acetabular cup led to revision no. 3. My glutes have been through the wringer, and feel like it! Again, I wasn't happy to have another surgery, but less pain was the big gain.

That's my story in a nutshell. And at this stage in my life, I am all in favor of comfortable shoes!
 
Wow @Gypsy your dysplasia story sounds exactly like mine. All the surgeries, half body cast, traction, the ugly shoes and everything. I know it’s fairly common but I Don’t think I’ve ever known anyone who went through all that other than me. I played softball though, I wasn’t very good (bench warmer) I quit after one year and played in the marching band instead :) hope the last revision went well
 
@Gypsy.

Pink Floyd is my favorite. Could listen to nothing else and be totally cool with that and comfortably numb.What you've been through sounds horrible but you sound upbeat. I hope this revision is the last of your suffering. I think you've paid more than your fair share of dues. Wishing you the best.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom