Revision THR Gypsy has wandered into recovery

Hello, Hippy Land. Today marks 3 weeks since surgery. I managed two outings last week (one for a family gathering and one with a friend) and I think that helped my mood immensely. Getting out of the house with the walker is still a production but not impossible, with husband's help. My biggest challenge is to keep anxieties at bay. :scare:
 
My biggest challenge is to keep anxieties at bay.
Sounds like you are doing great. What is causing the anxiety? You are all done and on the road to recovery. Smooth sailing from here!
 
Just picked up your thread @Gypsy, You've had an interesting journey with hip replacement; it's much like mine. I had my third revision on the same hip from hell, the rt. Mar. 30. Not quite 2 weeks post op. I had 50% weight bearing on the first one and it is a drag but I found it went fast and then he told me 25%. That was better but. . . . I'm so sorry you are going through all this. Your attitude is admirable considering what you have suffered.

Hopefully your sinuses will give it a rest and you can continue your recovery with less difficulty. Hope you enjoyed you evening with the kitties. Will watch for more updates. Meanwhile I wish you a peaceful and pain free weekend coming on. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Gypsy
I'll bet getting out of the house was a nice change.
It sounds like you're doing well. You've mentioned anxiety a few times,
wondering if you're anxious about your recovery? If that's it and it's something
specific, possibly we could help you with it. We're here if you need us.
Enjoy the evening!
 
@Jaycey my anxieties range from manageable and minor (am I doing enough? is that twinge normal?) to much more intrusive (what if it fails again and I don't have enough usable bone left to fix it?).

@Layla, nothing specific is going on--but I have been "blessed" with a vivid imagination! I think it all stems (ha, pun not intended!) from not having what ever could be considered a "normal" hip. It is just something I am aware of every day.

I actually think my recovery is going OK, but some days I feel less confident. My hope is that I will have a good report at my follow-up with my surgeon and that will put some of those thoughts to rest.

The outings were nice, indeed.
 
@zinnia, I hope you have an smooth recovery and you can enjoy your new(est) hip. Thank you for the kind words.
 
High Five! I have one too! A vivid imagination that is. It can get you into all sorts of trouble, lol!
I can tend toward anxious thoughts, or the "what ifs" on certain occasions, if I don't keep it in check.
Hopefully your appt eases your mind once any questions you have are answered.
Since you enjoyed the outings....go on more if you're able. The more active and engaged your mind is the less time / room for the anxuios thoughts to take over. Wishing you peace of mind. Hope your day is great!
@Gypsy
 
My appetite is returning with a vengeance. I hope my body is using those calories for healing! Trying to focus on protein, fruits, and vegetables as I certainly don't need to plump up any further!
 
Hi @Gypsy
Protein is great for healing and fruits and veggies are good for us!
Don't worry about an extra lbs right now. You may not gain any and if you do, you'll take it off later.
Hope you have a nice weekend as you continue healing.
 
Hi @Gypsy
Wondering how you are doing and if you had a good follow up with your OS?
We are at that 4 week stage! Who's counting?
Hoping you are doing well
 
Hi @BeBe, still have a few weeks to go before my follow up with the OS. This is an exercise in patience, for sure. I finally felt like I slept pretty well (don't remember waking up during the night) so I will count that as progress!

How goes your recovery?
 
@Gypsy
Yay for sleep!! It is always elusive for me. But so necessary to healing .
The patience thing is my huge issue - I feel I am so slow at this recovery.
One minute I'm cussing out my walker then the next I'm all apologetic and the cane gets my wrath!
Must be patient!
Hope you have a good weekend planned
 
Five weeks out from surgery and I am feeling pretty good! I continue to be (cautiously) optimistic that recovery is going OK. Saturday I went to Target with my husband (and the walker!) and that turned out to be a 2-hour outing! We also had the grandsons for a few days while their parents were taking a much-deserved vacation for their 10th anniversary.

The other set of grands had them for a few days and then it was our turn. Our daughter came over to help us out Saturday night and Sunday. My husband and I managed the next two days. Good thing my husband is pretty spry as he had to do a lot! I was able to prepare simple meals, change a few diapers, play (but not on the floor), cuddle, read, and talk. The 4-year-old is a talker and the 1-year-old is a cuddler, so those tasks were kind of balanced. My son and his wife had planned this trip last year, before I knew my hip failed, so I am happy that we were still able to help them out.

The grands were lots of fun, but we were tuckered out!
 
The grands were lots of fun, but we were tuckered out!
Wow - I am impressed. Taking care of toddlers while you are in recovery is quite an accomplishment! Well done - now for a much needed rest.
 
Hi @Gypsy
Target runs and babysitting the grandkids already. Good for you! I'll bet the grandkids were fun and a nice diversion from boring old recovery :heehee: Cute ages, both 1 and 4. I would imagine you had some laughs.
Sounds like you're doing well. Keep up the good work.
Best wishes as you move forward in your recovery!
 
The 4-year-old is a talker and the 1-year-old is a cuddler, so those tasks were kind of balance
Cuddling is a healing process...:) :-) (:
Worn out but heart warmed, I'm sure.
Hope all keeps getting better.
Doesn't take much to get worn out at this point...:ice:
 
Last edited:
Much less activity this weekend and it is back to the usual routine. I must have needed the post-op "downtime" as I am feeling more rested than I have in years. I don't think I fully realized how mentally and physically exhausting it is to deal with pain.

Only a few more days before my followup appointment. I am teetering between being a little bit anxious and being mostly optimistic. It has been helpful to read about so many recovery stories on BoneSmart, so thank you all for sharing.
 
And yes, cuddling with the grandsons was therapeutic!
 
Happy Monday! @Gypsy
It's nice to hear you feel more rested than you have in years.
It's amazing how losing the relentless pain allows us the restorative
sleep we all need.

I also feel follow up appts stir up a mix of anxiety and optimism.
You just want to be reassured all looks well. We'd love to hear about you appt if you don't mind sharing...
Hope your week is good!
 
Back
Top Bottom