TKR Grumpy Old Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @plnppl it does sound that way. He's being very thorough. He also very straight which I appreciate xxxx how are you today? Xxx
 
Went out for the first time since surgery for a coffee with a girlfriend. It was so nice to get out of the house. We went to a nearby Cafe and watched the ducks cavorting on the lake. Great therapy! Although the wind was fresh it was enjoyable and the getting out and about was not as hard as I feared it would be! I think I overdid it with the exercises a bit yesterday as both knees were very sore and painful upon waking. A dose of painkillers settled it down and apart from going out I have taken the day quietly. Day 17 for Right Knee and day 15 for left knee TKR.
 
I'm amazed that you had 2 surgery days so close together. My body could not have handled that. I get very ill with anesthesia. Sounds like a beautiful outing. Good for you! I went by my classroom trying to find my supply catalog. No luck. Hill to my door was tough! I never noticed how steep it was before.
 
I know the frustration of wanting to heal quickly! It is a really frustrating time and I am feeling it as well. Both my knees feel like a tight band and I am looking forward to them feeling better. It will make walking a lot easier! I am going to ask the physio about it tomorrow to find out if this is normal. Hang in there! I think it will. Be a while before I will be tackling a hill or incline! You sound as if you are doing really well!
 
Patience! It is now 4 weeks since the surgery on my right knee and short by a day for the LTKR. Medicating regularly, icing, resting and exercising. I have been going for a walk down the street using my cane once a day and sometimes twice! I felt as if I walked too far yesterday as on the return walk home I barely made the distance and my knees were shaking! I am unsure as to how far is too far until I have done it! I pulled it back today and just went for the one walk! Two days ago a dear friend picked me up and took me out to our Ladies Group Lunch which was really enjoyable but I went to Spotlight to buy some wool instead of going home. Big mistake! All I could do when I got home was to lie on the bed with ice packs! Instead of listening to my knees I made the mistake of telling them what I wanted them to do! Mostly at this stage I am pleased with the way things are going as my Flex is 105 and I can straighten my leg completely. The pain is still raw at times and also quite tight around the knees. I am assuming that this is from swelling and hopefully will go as time passes. Am I right in assuming this? I think for me that this is possibly the most dangerous time of recovery, as like others, I feel that I should be doing more than I am. I cooked for the first time today but had to rest up afterwards for a while! I have had a few days where it has been difficult to cope and I have been "down" but overall I find my attitude to be more positive this time around than when I had my first RTKR. Not sure why except that the pain is entirely different this time and perhaps my brain is telling me that I have already done it once before and can get through it! This site is such a blessing! Patience is going to gave to be on my mantra list so that I don't overdo things!
 
It's been just over four weeks since my bi lateral TKR and am feeling in need of a little encouragement I am at the stage where I am asking "is it getting better?" or "is this all there is?" My knees are sore and stiff and have starting the dreaded clicking when I walk? My goal is to go to Europe with hubby next year to visit relatives..." Will I be able to do it?". So far my attitude has been really positive but has done a bit of a dive the last couple of day's.I am finding this recovery just so different than the first time that I had the Right knee done. On a positive note the pain is less and I have great flex and can bend my legs straight! Just walking 600 steps but my knee clicks the whole time. There is less bruising this time around as well! Just getting it out there and off my chest. Thanks guys!
 
My pt told me she likes to hear clicking because it means the swelling is going down. :) I still have days at 6.5 weeks when I wonder if I will ever be able to walk normal. They are not as many this week. :)
 
My pt told me she likes to hear clicking because it means the swelling is going down. :) I still have days at 6.5 weeks when I wonder if I will ever be able to walk normal. They are not as many this week. :)
Good to know that we are not alone! P.T's like the strangest things don't they? We hate the clicking but they like it! So it goes away?
 
My pt told me she likes to hear clicking because it means the swelling is going down. :) I still have days at 6.5 weeks when I wonder if I will ever be able to walk normal. They are not as many this week. :)


haha that is funny! Interesting though. I hate clicking days! I am at 12 wks but I am a sweller....... Hey is that a good nickname? lol


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's been just over four weeks since my bi lateral TKR and am feeling in need of a little encouragement I am at the stage where I am asking "is it getting better?" or "is this all there is?" My knees are sore and stiff and have starting the dreaded clicking when I walk? My goal is to go to Europe with hubby next year to visit relatives..." Will I be able to do it?". So far my attitude has been really positive but has done a bit of a dive the last couple of day's.I am finding this recovery just so different than the first time that I had the Right knee done. On a positive note the pain is less and I have great flex and can bend my legs straight! Just walking 600 steps but my knee clicks the whole time. There is less bruising this time around as well! Just getting it out there and off my chest. Thanks guys!


you rock! Your attitude is amazing, so positive. We all have our down days...well speaking for myself...but as long as they are interspersed with good days right? You are amazing and I enjoyed hearing your story. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe how early you were able to do outings. Yes the wool, aka second outing was a little Heroic at best. But you gave it a go ... Bravo!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My pt told me she likes to hear clicking because it means the swelling is going down. :) I still have days at 6.5 weeks when I wonder if I will ever be able to walk normal. They are not as many this week. :)


My OS told me the clicking is the plastic she put behind my old kneecap, patella, hitting on the metal implant and hopefully as I gained more strength it would all tighten up and stop, but she said some have it forever nothing to worry about. But I hate it, feels weird like out or grinding.....not right. I don't have it always shows up randomly


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My OS told me the clicking is the plastic she put behind my old kneecap, patella, hitting on the metal implant and hopefully as I gained more strength it would all tighten up and stop, but she said some have it forever nothing to worry about. But I hate it, feels weird like out or grinding.....not right. I don't have it always shows up randomly


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
We will encourage each other! That's what is so great about this site ...the information and encouragement! I showed my PT and she has it bookmarked on her Ipad and has recommended it to it others in her care.
 
@plnppl I'm at 3 1/2 months and still get clicking sometimes. It sure beats the bone-on-bone pain it replaced!

Four weeks post-op is a little early to really start seeing and getting an idea of just how good things are going to be. I only had one knee done but if I recall it wasn't until about week six or seven that things really started to get better. The extreme fatigue went away, I could miss a scheduled med without too much of an issue, sleep was easier to achieve, etc. By week nine I was able to play golf. My OS still tells me that "full" recovery is one year! At 4 weeks you aren't even at 10% of where you will ultimately get to.
 
T
@plnppl I'm at 3 1/2 months and still get clicking sometimes. It sure beats the bone-on-bone pain it replaced!

Four weeks post-op is a little early to really start seeing and getting an idea of just how good things are going to be. I only had one knee done but if I recall it wasn't until about week six or seven that things really started to get better. The extreme fatigue went away, I could miss a scheduled med without too much of an issue, sleep was easier to achieve, etc. By week nine I was able to play golf. My OS still tells me that "full" recovery is one year! At 4 weeks you aren't even at 10% of where you will ultimately get to.
Thanks for the reminder Phil75070..it's hard to put it in perspective sometimes that it does get better and improve with time! Golf at 9 weeks that's amazing! Well done! I can't wait to do normal things again!
 
Well. Good luck to you!

I will be here to cheer you on, and encourage you! My OS said no way to both knees at once; but for good reason. A 50% chance of MRSA, and it happened both times, just not in the knee the first!:happydance:
Thanks Rest Assured! It's now just 6 weeks since I had both knees done and I am starting to have a few reasonable days. In saying that I overdid things yesterday and have spent most of the day icing my knees and taking pain relief! Today is not my best day because of the pain but I know it will get better!
 
@pinppl,

I am glad you are doing so well. Just make sure not to overdo it too much! The ODIC club is not one that you want to join!:heehee:
 
Hi @plnppl I'm in Wales on holiday. I'm not well at the mo. Got like a migraine or something. Had to increase morphine by 10mg so I can get relief from pain off my knee and sleep. Will be home Wednesday night so I'll catch up properly then. I'm using my iPhone but it's not ideal xxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom