Guest viewing is limited

TKR Grumpy Old Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that after a year no, it's not normal. [guessing] If the surgeon says the x-rays show a normal knee, then perhaps the surrounding tissue is still tight and would benefit from stretching exercises[/guessing]. Have you been doing any?
 
I agree with Sheryl, after a year and you still have pain it is time for a second opinion. Find an OS who does revisions, they know what to look for, and will be the most help.
Keep us posted on how you are doing,
 
plnppl, I have merged your most recent posts into your original recovery thread for continuity. We like to keep everything about your recovery in one thread so we have all the information in one place when responding to your questions and concerns.
 
I agree that the best approach would be to find a good revision surgeon for another opinion. Once you know that the knee joint itself is okay, you can discuss options with him for working on any soft tissue problems you may be having that are restricting your walking endurance.
 
I'd say that after a year no, it's not normal. [guessing] If the surgeon says the x-rays show a normal knee, then perhaps the surrounding tissue is still tight and would benefit from stretching exercises[/guessing]. Have you been doing any?
Yes I have started up with the exercises again and focusing more on the stretching. Hoping that this will help. I think I will ask around get a second opinion!
 
It has been a while since I have been on the Forum. Not sure if I am posting in the right place. I had my Right Knee replacement done Feb 27th 2012 and injured it 6 weeks later. It has never been good and my mobility has been restricted. I finally bit the bullet and went to another surgeon as mine didn't want to know about it at all. The new surgeon thought that the knee was too loose and that is why I have had the problems I am experiencing. I am booked into hospital on 3rd of June when I will have surgery on my right knee to replace the top part of the joint and any other issues that he finds there. On 5th June I am having a Total Replacement of the Left Knee. I must admit to feeling really nervous about having both knees done approximately a day apart and two anesthetics but he wants to see how much bleeding there is before he does the second knee. As my husband will be at work during the day I am planning to stay in Rehab until I can cope at home. I also remember clearly the amount of pain experienced, however, I am feeling hopeful that this will give me a new lease on life that I havent had for over two years. Initially my signature was "Grumpy Old Woman" but I have now changed it to "Hopeful"!
 
Welcome back,
I just had a revision in April for a flexion instability (knee too loose). I too was injured 6 weeks out from the primary TKR and can relate to your situation.:sad:
Not sure I would have wanted the second knee done right after the revision, this has been a challenging recovery to say the least. After 6 weeks I can finally say I have turned the corner, and while my knee is still healing, it is better than it was before the revision.
There are a couple of us here who have had revisions or who are going to have revisions, or have problem knees, @RestAssured, @busylizzie , @Shortie @amberpep @Coppernob @RunA42K . We are here to support you through your revision and recovery,
Keep us posted on how you are doing,
 
@plnppl,

Welcome back, even if it is for reasons other than you wish. With the revision taking place, why are they deciding to go ahead the next day with a replacement on the other one? They aren't sure what they will need to do until they actually see the knee. Can you postpone the other one, because having had problems with this one might make me ask the OS for more time in between the two if it were me. Good luck in whatever you decide, and we will be here to support you!:console2:
!
 
Thanks for the encouragement! The surgeon is doing my knees a day apart so that he can keep tabs on how much bleeding occurs. It was my decision to have them both done as I do not think I would have the strength to come back again! I would have preferred him to do them at the same time but he thinks it best this way! The last time this site was my lifeline! I will keep you informed as to progress.
 
Totally understand. With two procedures only one day apart, you essentially have only one recovery to deal with. You will find that dealing with two is not substantially more difficult than dealing with one, and nothing beats the feeling that you will soon be done with this. Best wishes.
 
Well. Good luck to you!

I will be here to cheer you on, and encourage you! My OS said no way to both knees at once; but for good reason. A 50% chance of MRSA, and it happened both times, just not in the knee the first!:happydance:
 
Hi all! Once again I am unsure if my post is in the right place but here goes!
It is now Day 11 since I had the re visitation to my Right Knee and Day 9 since the total replacement of the Left Knee. The Surgeon replaced the top part of my Right Knee with a different part plus some other work and already I can feel a positive difference with it. I am walking better on it and it feels stronger without the movement in it that I was experiencing before? I can flex both knees to 100 degrees whereas 90 is the expectation at this stage! My Left Knee was a TKR and Doctor and Physio are both very pleased with the progress. All of the Nurses who attended me were amazed, firstly, that I had the two done at the same time and secondly, with how well it was all going. They kept telling me how brave I was but my mind kept replying " not brave....stupid!" The journey is very tough and my first day at home was a total nightmare with me in tears by the time the Physio arrived. She arranged stronger pain relief for me as I had only come home with Panadol due to stomach sensitivity and Irritable Bowel. My husband has arranged to have next week off work to be at home with me. Coming out of the Spinal anesthetic was no fun as I could not stop shivering with the cold and was paralysed from the waist down for two days. I would not have that type again!
My experience so far is that having the two knees done at the same time is not really twice the pain. Sure it is really painful and some days are really difficult to get through, but so is having the one done! Yes, I am struggling at the moment, but I know that it will improve and have confidence that this time around the outcome will be a better one! I will listen to my knees and let them tell me when enough us enough!
 
You are in the right place, glad to hear you are home and are doing well after your R revision, and LTKR.
Sounds like you had a rough few days, glad they are behind you, and you are on the road to recovery.
Here is the mantra Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule. I also found naps to be very healing these last 8 weeks after my revision. I had also injured myself at 6 weeks,:sad:.
Wishing you an uneventful recovery, keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
When your goal is to climb a ladder, you can either cry about not being able to make it to the fourth rung or celebrate having conquered the third rung and look forward to making it to the fourth rung as part of your journey to the top.
 
Love the title of your thread @plnppl,I actually think that it's going to strike a chord with quite a lot of us on here! :heehee:

I have just read your post and your are a very brave lady. Good on you! I'll look forward to reading how you are getting on.

This is @Pumpkln's mantra. She accidentally created an acronym, which I think is great! MINERS as follows:

Medicating
Icing
Napping
Elevating
Resting
Schedule
(The schedule goes with medication)

Well I wish you every bit of good luck with your recovery. You're doing ever so well with what you are doing. You sound terrifically positive which is marvellous. If sleep is a problem, I can definitely recommend a sleep app by Eric Brown. It works very well. It does If you can relax enough before you set it up or not be disturbed part way through. This can be difficult with modern life!

I had a fall on day 2 of my TKR, although the X-rays are fine, five months+ I'm still having problems with it. On Thursday, I'm going in to have it drained and cortisone shots done. I have a fantastic bend but I can't straighten it. This is causing hip and back problems as I'm lopsided a bit. I'm very positive about Thursday. Bring it on!!'

You are not alone. Quite a number if the ladies and gents on this wonderful forum have had revisions and other knee related issues. It's nice to know that you are with friends who truly understand this :friends:

Take care

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Sorry to hear about your fall Nana Moon! Hoping that it will improve for you! I injured my first TKR at 6 weeks but my surgeon at that time did not take me seriously! This surgeon said at once that it was too loose and said that he thought he could fix it, which at this stage, I think he has. There is definite improvement in it!
It is now 15 days after the first surgery and 13 days for the second knee. Today. I have felt a bit on the Bleh side and very tired! It is hard to get comfortable when sitting or lying down. Today I will just go with my feelings and and focus on the thought that tomorrow is a new day! Trying hard to stay positive but it is okay to have a downer once in a while!
 
Hi @plnppl thanks for the caring! Nice one x x

I'm so glad to hear that you're finally being listened to and getting the right treatment at last! Too right about having a down day, we all have them/need them sometimes. I'm glad though that you are listening to your body and resting. I always think it's better to listen and act on instinct in this case! You will improve eventually, I certain of that x x x x


I had aspiration and a cortisone shot done yesterday. However, this lovely surgeon was very concerned about the sensitivity of the knee, (I nearly shot off the trolley literally, with the pain, when he examined my knee and squeezed it)!now thinks that my kneecap is catching the joint, putting on pressure and causing the pain and the horrid clunking!

I'm due to see him in outpatients in 6 weeks time. By which time the cortisone shot will have worn off a bit. He should have the microbiology report from the fluids he removed from the knee.

So I'll know a bit more by then x x x

Lovely to hear off you

Please take care .... love from Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping that you get a good result. It sounds as if your Surgeon is wanting to find out what the problem is and try to fix it! I look forward to hearing of your progress. Hang in there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom