THR Groin Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hip aches during the night, so maybe I am doing too much. My husband is constantly telling me I am doing too much. The problem is ME I think I should be better than I am. I think once I have seen the surgeon next week maybe I will know where I should be. As Poppet says, one forgets how our activity levels had dropped before our shiny new hips so we are going to take a while before we are back to top form.

So I will listen to my hip .......

:)
 
Those are wise words! I'm almost 12 weeks out, and sometimes I think I should be able to walk farther without any twinges, aches, or heaviness, but I have to remind myself that I could hardly walk at all before surgery. It had been years since I could go out and walk on trails like I'm doing now. I hope to continue to progress, but even if I didn't, I am so much better now....

Hobbit, I can't wait to hear what your OS has to say. I bet he or she will be pleased, you are doing so well.
Do you have your list of questions written down? I jot mine down on a file, and then the morning of my appointment I print the list and walk in with my clipboard.
 
I will jot my questions down because I'm bound to forget otherwise Sissy.
 
Poppet, can you just cut and paste this everytime this topic comes up?!? Very well said....
 
Off to the hospital tomorrow, don't know what to expect really. I have found a way of doing the straight leg raises without discomfort. I was give (some time ago) a stirrup kinda thingy which I think was to help with lifting the operated leg into bed. I never used it but found it useful for the leg raise exercise. This will hopefully help build up those muscles that help with walking without the silly walk.

Went Christmas shopping today, lots of walking but used both crutches ( husband was used as pack mule) We will see what the doc says tomorrow as to the next step.

So looking forward to a whole nights sleep! :dancy:
 
Me too. Got my roots done at 5 weeks, felt human again. Talon feet next but want to make sure they don't cut me...fear of infection!! (I once had a chunk of heel cut off by a technician who was chatting to somone else and hacking at me with a slicey thing, it was a bloodbath and took two painful months to heal.) Tomorow I see the dentist to learn what she can do for a post THR toothache, just what I need - a new wrinkle.
 
Well I saw the surgeon today, apparently my ceramic hip was custom made for me in Switzerland. The X-ray shows it is integrating well with the bone and the healing is progressing nicely.
I may now use one crutch and when I feel able to walk, without a limp, I can discard it. Normal service can be resumed.
Exceptions are that I can never squat, jog, do Zumba or push the hip past 90 degrees EVER. I am still digesting this information. :sorry:
 
Did your surgeon give a reason why you would never be able to squat, jog, Zumba, or flex past 90 degrees? Many of us have been able to return to all those activities and more after recovery from THR.
 
Hi Pug, my OS quietly said at my 12 month check, 'remember your restrictions' when asked why, he said 'it was a difficult surgery repairing you'.

As Alex said you need answer to his statement :)
 
Ever??? I'd be guilty in a heartbeat with the squat or flex past 90 once I'm released... The jogging or zumba I could live with. Mine isn't a fan of yoga because of the planting and twisting holds, but I can live with that too. Is he expecting you to never be able to tie your own shoes? I'm hoping not to hear that this week, but if I did, I'd try to shake the shock off and definitely clarify ever - really ever and ever, or x number of months ever? :shocked:

Good use of hubby's manly skills! :snork: :thumb:
 
Oh Pug! Start asking questions and demanding answers. In my PT, they have me doing squats now...not going below parallel, or 90 degrees, and standing between the parallel bars...just in case. Ask, ask, ask.
 
He said that once the ball and socket joint passes a certain point the collar of the joint 'could' act as a lever with the ball and dislocate. The squat position would 'possibly' push the joint past it's tolerance. When I said that I thought my body would warn me he disagreed, he says once I have healed there would be no warning it 'could' pop out. He said it would be unpleasant for me and not a quick fix for him.
I was quite shocked at the restrictions, no tennis, no jogging and definitely no high impact sports.
He did say that some of his patients do play tennis, against his advice and have not come to any harm. He said we can discuss this again in a years time when I see him. I am wondering if he is being overly cautious. He said my hip was a difficult fix it because of the hip dysplasia. :gaah:
 
The nurse who was in the room seemed quite shocked too. She questioned the squatting and demonstrated the sort of squat one would do in an exercise class, he said that would be fine. No squatting down to the floor though. I asked about going back to Pilates which he said was fine as long as I followed the rules, but no yoga and to be careful how I got down to the floor.
 
Here is another one of my gems... I posted this just after I came out of ICU

To all sitting in the waiting room...

Do not fret - it really is over before one realises!
Do not worry about a man made hip - the new one works and will continue to work!
Do understand that 'patience' will become your new friend!
Do understand that each little milestone, that was normal before, will now take all your energy!
Do remember to question anything and everything - it is your right!
Do remember to love the new you (not just your OS)!
Do not be shy about asking for help, or simply saying - I can't do that today but will be stronger to do it tomorrow!

Time, patience, and pain will be still with you, just in a different form!
 
Lots of surgeons advise against high-impact activity, so that's quite typical I think. I wouldn't consider Zumba to be high impact though. I know a few people who have returned to that with no problem.

So, he was saying you are forever at risk of your hip levering out of the socket if you flex past 90 degrees or was that just for squatting? I'm no medical expert, so I'll tag Josephine to share her wisdom on your surgeon's recommendations in #128 and 134.
 
Exceptions are that I can never squat, jog, do Zumba or push the hip past 90 degrees EVER. I am still digesting this information. :sorry:
He said that once the ball and socket joint passes a certain point the collar of the joint 'could' act as a lever with the ball and dislocate. The squat position would 'possibly' push the joint past it's tolerance. When I said that I thought my body would warn me he disagreed, he says once I have healed there would be no warning it 'could' pop out. He said it would be unpleasant for me and not a quick fix for him.
What a load of --- ! Mechanically it's a possibility but more in theory than practice. Once the hip has healed, the false capsule has developed and ligaments have regained their tone, it's pretty solid for most people. Has he no faith in his own work?

I would also throw into the pot how hundreds of thousands of people all over the world have never been told this and yet have gone about their lives in blissful ignorance, doing exactly what they want to without harm.

Here are a couple of example:
This is shugaplum, our star member and professional dancer who took these pics at 4 months (left) and 6 months (right). The leg in the air is the one with the new hip!

[Bonesmart.org] Groin Pain
[Bonesmart.org] Groin Pain


And this is Wayne Sleep, famous ballet dancer, who did this kick on stage 12 weeks after his THR. As with shuga, the leg in the air is the one with the new hip!

[Bonesmart.org] Groin Pain
 
Pug, just saying hi from across the pond. Hope things are progressing better. My OS said at 5 weeks, my only restriction was crossing legs. I have one pt exercise called a "heel slid" (performed in bed, sliding the heel). At first, I couldn't do it, but as I've healed, it's gotten easier and I'm now approaching 75-90 degrees. I asked the OS about this and he said it was fine. At one pt session, I was riding a stationary bike and I approached 75-80 without any difficulty. He stressed the problem is crossing the leg in a manner that simulated the way the hip is dislocation and this only until about 12-16 weeks. He said by then I would be sufficiently healed that I wouldn't have to worry. He also stressed no high impact activities. My goal was too be able to walk with my grandson, put on my shoes and socks. Course, I still worry. Hang in there, we all heal and progress at different rates.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom