THR Groin Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new exercise the physio gave me is proving tricky.... I have to lay on the non-operated side with the leg bent and raise my operated leg up and down sideways. How's a hobb..... person supposed to do that?
Pug, I'm almost a month ahead of you and when I got that exercise, I found it almost impossible. It was the hardest thing I had to do. At first I could only do 10 reps, but by the time I could do 30, I added a 1lb ankle weight. Now I do 30 reps with a 2.5lb weight no problem. Those are the muscles you want to strengthen to regain a normal gait. Just do what you can accomplish comfortably and it will get easier with time.

Hey Hobb...I mean Pug...listen to John. He is the voice of reason. Girl, I'm still working on trying master hamstring stretches and straight leg raises. Nothing is moving for me to the side! I'm not sweating it though. It will come.

Don't do anything that hurts. I could do those side leg lifts from the beginning, no problem, but the straight leg raises really hurt. Maybe because I had the anterior approach? I wouldn't do them, but several weeks later they were easy. Don't push yourself to the point of pain and risk injury; it will come in time.

I am supposed to be doing the side lifts before surgery and they are hard. I have little strength in my hamstrings. PT said I needed them for post op. I so hate doing exercise. Anybody else?

Oh no...I love to work out. Prior to surgery, I was going to CrossFit 4-5 times a week and loving every sweaty minute of it. I can not wait to get back to the gym....will wait 6-12 months before doing any real jumping or running, but can work on some light weightlifting, rowing, rope climbs, push ups, pull ups and sit ups. Yay!!!

Well it's 1.30am and sleep eludes me, hubby doing pig impressions so have decided to sit downstairs with a cup of tea. Have had to do some sorting out at Mums place, clearing out and sorting bills which I suppose hasn't helped my mood any. My head won't let me sleep. I have been really g ood about taking my painkillers which I should have been doing from day one I know, but at least the aches aren't responsible for my lack of sleep anymore.
On the plus side I have decorated one of the two Christmas trees we have each year, it looks lufferly jubbly. A lot of the presents are ordered and I'm beginning to get in the spirit.

So fellow BS warriors how's it hanging with you lot?

Oh and the exercise I mentioned before..... Have given that a miss for a while as it caused me quite a bit of discomfort.

Hi Pug, sorry you are having trouble sleeping. We seem to all have our nights like that. At least you have your Bone Smart Warrior Buddies to keep you company as there is always someone online here.

I too had a really difficult time with PT and my doctor gave me a pass for almost 2 weeks. That did the trick.

Ice, elevate and medicate Pug. Put the pillow down!!!!!

Smart hobbit, don't do anything in PT that hurts.
I'm sorry you've having to deal with so much other than your recovery right now; I know that doesn't make it any easier. Good that you're able to get into the Christmas spirit. Two trees! I'll be doing well to get one up, hoping my baby cat Grayson doesn't eat the lights this year.

Pug, sorry you're having trouble with the shut eye...if only the brain would shut off long enough to at least give you a good go at it... I guess it's a small silver lining you can chat with your warrior friends in another time zone! We're here for you when you need to escape!

About your hubby's pig impressions; you know there's a fix for that that doesn't involve asphyxiation?!? My hubby has been on a CPAP for at least 10 years. The newer machines are quite quiet, so it's like soft white noise rather than a jet taking off...

Amazing you have two trees setup! How many are you expecting to stop through this season? Hubby and I are pretty much orphans where we are. Relatives are all 3000 miles in either direction. Certainly no travel for me this year.

I think we've all had some PT we've backed away from because we just weren't ready. Definitely stop the ones that are painful and do the ones you can feel the muscles working. Really, focus on getting from here to there and the rest will come together.

When it comes to PT, if it hurts don't do it, if they insist whack them off the side of the head, and while their head is still spinning make them go up the stairs and let's see how well they do.

Sorry you are having such a hard time in the sleep zone, sending some sheep, pleasant dreams and sleepy thoughts you way.

Listen to bellaroma Truer words were never spoken.

Don't fall into the trap of trying too hard to please your therapist. Mine was wonderful, but on the second visit when she said I was doing stuff they expected at 6 weeks, she wanted to make everything "more challenging," which didn't really make sense to me. I felt like all the work I'd done in PT all summer was paying off post-op and now I could cruise a little, which is what I did.

I haven't seen anyone, therapist, doctor or nurse since I had my hip replaced. Most of the information I've found out is from here and one telephone call to the ward when a physiotherapist just happened to answer the telephone. I have no idea if I'm on track or not, I think it all works quite differently in the shire to where you are.

I see the surgeon on 18th, guess he'll tell me how I'm doing. Xx

We will both be going to the Doc on the same day, you earlier than me because of the time difference, but hopfully all will be well for both of us

Ah the eternal question! Why are things all different all over the place... well, dear ones, if I had an answer to that I'd be a very wise, very wealthy woman!

Pug, don't worry about your progress. There is very little to improve on as generally, hips have a way of working themselves out. Look at this Activity progression for THR and see if you match the progress suggested. If so, you are doing fine.

Pug, did you at least get to see a physical therapist while you were in the hospital? Did they give you any paperwork when you were discharged that described any of the exercises to do?

I have found in the last couple of weeks that making myself take three 10 minute walks per day has been extremely helpful and makes me feel so much better.

I saw a Physiotherapist in hospital who gave me exercises to do daily, he would come every day while I was in hospital. I was given a sheet with those same exercises to take home. I guess if they had wanted me to do more they would have told me, but what about the partial weight bearing? Seems there's not enough follow up and I will air my views hen I see the surgeon next week.

I may have been walking too much, I've been walking round the supermarket and shopping mall. But I don't know if that's too much or not!

Very early in my recovery, I read a post from a member who had surgery around the same time as myself and kept saying to SO, I should be doing this or that by now.. and the topic of straight leg raises was constantly being discussed on the forum.. So, I decided, maybe I should push harder and do them... Taught myself a huge lesson from that..

I quickly realized that it was my recovery journey, no one else.. So I read and re-read Jo's comments.. 'Hips have a way of working themselves out'.

My recovery was going to be slow, it had to be, too much immobility for 8 years leading up to surgery. My OS constantly said, the best for me was to walk.. 12 months on, he was delighted to hear me talking about how I had taken up Nordic Walking... It put a smile on his face!

It is important to remember we are all at different levels of fitness leading into surgery.. We will all get there, some quicker, some slower and that is OK! Listen to yourself, you know your body better than anyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom