THR Groin Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bless you all, I shall work my way through all of your suggestions. I think diet and exercise play a big part. I may take a nap during tha day and set an alarm so I don't sleep too long.

Will definitely use the food suggestions. We are out for a meal this evening to celebrate a family birthday, the restaurant isn't too far and I may convince Mr Hobbit to let me walk, the exercise may be beneficial.

Thank you warriors, what would I do without you?

I'll let you know how it goes.......
 
See, Poppet is our voice of reason! At least I didn't mention eating dessert before going to bed!

Enjoy your night out on the town!
 
I have also had trouble sleeping at night but the afternoon nap seems to make no difference. I set the alarm so I don't sleep too long - about an hour is refreshing. I have to confess that last night I snored so loud I woke myself up - I had turned on my back, not good!
Thinking of you this evening, Bexleyheath is not far from us - nice restaurant? Not sure if a glass of wine helps the insomnia, doesn't mix too well with some of the pain meds that I am on. Hope you enjoyed the meal and being with family.
Sleep well!
 
Poppet, stole my thunder as far as the Chamomile Tea, I swear by that, knocks me out like a light. Are you thinking about stuff when you head to bed, maybe some real brain numbing activity before bed would help, if all else fails I would also check with the Doc
 
On the sleeping- I've started to have trouble the last couple weeks as well (and we are about the same time out, it made me think now) - In the beginning i could sleep 9-10 hours straight thru, but now it seems to be about about 1 out of 3 days I can sleep solid. last night I tossed and turned wide awake til well after 3 and even xanax didn't help and that usually knocks me right out (as i have an overactive mind), so i tried to sleep in longer, but then tossed and turned from 8AM on! I figured since i started back in the gym, it would assure good sleep, but no dice. and it's not pain or active thoughts keeping me up, and it's driving me nuts! I wonder if this is part of the process?
 
Dave, I noticed the same thing. It's because you're getting better and need less sleep. I've quit worrying about it. If I can't get to sleep or wake up and can't fall asleep again, I read a book.
 
oldyellr - just needing less sleep would be one thing, but it's gone on full blown insomnia! Even a couple sleeping tablets won't knock me out. It's actually gone to the point of several days in a row of massive insomnia like i've never had - only getting maybe 3-4 hours of actual sleep. Pre-surgery i was a solid 8-8.5 hrs/night.
 
Dave - is it possible that you are having some very mild discomfort, that is not really enough to be conscious of, but enough to keep you awake? I only ask because I have had that problem. In my case it was actually some very mild low back discomfort. I was able to use a massage chair, heating pad, and Tylenol to relax it and get some sleep.

I also have an over active mind. I was having insomnia before I went back to work. I wasn't worried on a logical level about going back, but I guess I was anxious. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good solution for that. Although sometimes reading a really boring professional journal helps. Those articles put me to sleep even when I a quite alert!

Good luck and wishing you lots of zzzzzzz's!
 
nerdgrrl- one thing i have noticed is yes, now i am feeling back and shoulder tightness and other pains that i haven't noticed before- probably because the hip pain covered all of it! (meaning i am further along on the mend, hopefully) And your right, it may have been a little subconscious 'work stress' lately- I am supposed to be (and want to be) off but i (somewhat reluctantly) agreed to help some people with some last minute rush projects this week- i still just don't have the focus i did pre-op!

Also, on Damn's comment below- I noticed pre-op that if i took opiate pain meds too late i would have a restless first part of the night, so that may be something that affects you too?
 
Hi Pug! This might be a silly question, but what is your caffiene intake? I have found that if I drink anything with caffience in it (tea, soda, coffee, chocolate) late in the afternoon I have trouble sleeping at night. Some of the OTC meds also contain caffeine. Worth a shot to check it out.
 
Hi Pug, how are things in Bexleyheath? Getting better sleep?
Damn! 's question a good one---even a little caffeine any time after noon will have me awake into the wee hours.
 
I think Pug's finally getting some sleep - haven't heard from her in about a week. That dinner out must have done the trick!

:zzz:
 
Pug is probably sleeping after trying all the food and different options I wrote... Time to wake up now Pugfugly
 
Pugfugly might be out getting a pedicure. You all remember those hairy feet...could take a while.
 
Hello everyone! Have read all your posts about sleep. I am still not sleeping very well. I seem to have reached a plateau. Walking with one stick to stop myself walking with a limp, except when I'm indoors. I'm back to doing chores, cooking and laundry etc.

Shouldn't I feel more comfortable by now, I think discomfort is keeping me awake. I am back at keep fit (designed for people with mobility problems) but I still can't lift my operated leg sideways or straight up while lying down. I'm sure it's these muscles I need to target. I've gotten a little despondent lately, seems like I'm not getting any better.

Sorry to be a misery guts!

Hope you are all still making good progress.
 
Hi Pug, good to hear from you! Sorry you are feeling like you have hit a plateau. Remember, if you had quite a bit of mobility impairment before surgery, it is going to take longer to progress. Probably not much comfort to hear that when you are feeling stuck :( This will pass, but it sure is hard to be patient. I have experienced and heard from others on BS that sometimes something is hard to do for quite awhile and seems like one will never get past it, then suddenly you can do it. Here's hoping your suddenly happens soon! You *are* making progress, but it is so incremental that it is hard to notice. ::hugs::
 
Hey Pug- getting those muscles back is gonna take some doing yet - I'm just starting to feel like I'm regaining strength and I only had 4 years of gimp-ness- you had a bit more than that. There's a 'hippie' in the gym I go to, he's just a few years older than me and said he didn't really start to feel 'normal-ish' til 4 months post.

I'm also not 'quite' comfortable sleeping either, so I guess you can take some consolation in that, we are only a few days apart on our op. Hip will get sore, as does the groin- but i can 'kind of' sleep on my side, but only with discomfort that may or may nor keep me from proper sleep- depends on the day. I can still get depressed on 'bad days' - 'cos it's those days you forget how far you really have come since the end of Oct.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom