THR Groin Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will have to clarify what I was told because if I follow what the surgeon said I'd never be able to put socks/stockings on or paint my toenails? I'm so confused now.

I can imagine! We naturally want to trust our surgeons but sometimes some may not be completely up to date in this thinking. I suggest you just let it ride for the time being and then see how things go. I am sure in time you will reach that havana state, the "forgotten hip" and just do what you fancy because you can trust your hip completely! You might also like to read all the threads in here to help your confidence Stories of amazing hip recoveries.

Pug, when are you scheduled to see him again? If it's like another 6 weeks, maybe ride it out and see how it goes. If it's longer than that, see if you can reach his nurse and let her know you've had an opportunity to let the information soak in and have some clarifying questions...

:shrug:

Hi Pug, just time as Jo said.. I can only just put my socks and shoes on by myself.. Not because of my hip.. That is mostly the 'forgotten hip' we talk about.. You will get there :)

Pug, after I found I could cut my toenails and put my socks on without aids, I still use my sock aid for my operated leg because I've become so good with it. Hell, I even use my cane even tough I don't always need it, but it's probably more appropriate at my age than yours.

My SO still insists on putting my shoes and socks on.. Says it is a labour of love... who am I to complain !

Hi Pug, Sorry that your Doc is not really providing you with explanations, take it slow and see how you feel right now, but as time goes on, you may want another opion, so you are not living in fear of messing up your new hip, Gosh it is already hard enough for hobbits to get pedicures:shocked:Do they charge extra?:)

Pug, wishing you a wonderful day with your family. Try not to let the after dinner snorts keep you awake tonight! :gbhse:

Happy New Year!
Hope everyone enjoyed their festivities. Taking the trees down in the morning and packing it all away for next year!

I got a bit carried away with my progress and have been walking around without a stick, paid the price with increased pain and lopsided walking. As soon as I went back to using a stick everything has been fine EXCEPT the sleeping. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful, I just don't seem to be able to sleep. I won't let myself have a doze during the day, no matter how tired I get because I'm worried about not sleeping at night. It's now 3.35 am and I'm wide awake, despite nearly falling asleep earlier this afternoon!

I suppose I shouldn't moan as I don't have any pain, I can sleep on either side, on my tummy or on my back. Mr Hobbit is still being very noisy in his sleep so at least whilst I'm turning over every which way in the bed I know it's not disturbing him.....

It was nice to see the back of the crutches, I've put them to the back of the closet.

Personal opinion and definitely not coming from a medical professional. I think sleep is essential for recovery. If you miss more sleep, you will not have the " fuel" that your body needs. Can you call your doctor for something to help you for a bit?

Happy New Year Pug! We just chilled at home on NYE and watched some movies and the fireworks on tv. Pretty boring stuff but safe and sound! We did partake in some chocolate cheesecake and a couple cocktails.

Yeah, we're at that point where it's hard not to get too carried away as we end up paying a price for overdoing. I ended up running some errands after work to pick up a few groceries, but after a long day I probably should have had hubby make the run. I hadn't taken any tylenol and muscle relaxers for a couple of days but ended up taking some after dinner tonight. I've decided to use my cane at work for a week or two more as I'm finding I get a little limpy by the end of the day...just sayin'.

So what do you think the sleeping/awake thing is about? Is your mind racing or is it a comfort thing? Have you tried some hot cocoa before bed? You could try a stroll around the block before turning in as well. Do you have a dog or do you think papa hobbit would go with you? Are you still sleeping with extra pillows (possibly change positions - behind the knees while on your back, etc). How about earplugs. I know how loud the pig snorts can be and there's nothing worse than waking from a sound sleep to the sound of a buzz saw. Have you tried an eye pillow? I have one that's about the size of a checkbook and it's filled with buckwheat hulls and lavender so it conforms to the face/eyes yet you don't have the covers over your head where you can't breathe. OK, I'm all out for now!

Hi Pugfugly, I am suspecting that you are getting overtired.. take those naps and here are some nutritional tips that you may want to consider to help you with your sleeping...

Bananas contain melatonin and serotonin, chemicals known to help the body sleep, as well as magnesium, I often have a banana either before going to be or if I wake up during the night.

Other sleep-inducing foods include:

Almonds: Almonds contain both tryptophan, an amino acid that acts as a sedative, and magnesium, which acts as a muscle relaxant.

Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea's mild sedating effect helps restless sleepers fall asleep.

Flax seeds: Flax seeds are bursting with omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are natural mood lifters and can prepare your body and mind for sleep.

Honey: Consuming too much sugar before bedtime can keep you awake. However, eating just a little honey before going to bed, alerts your brain to stop producing orexin, which is a neurotransmitter that keeps us alert. So add a little honey to your tea or milk prior to bedtime.

Milk and Dairy Products: Milk and dairy products contain tryptophan and calcium, both of which help the brain effectively use tryptophan.

Oatmeal: Oatmeal contains melatonin, which prepares your body for sleep. To up its effectiveness, make your oatmeal with milk and top it with a drizzle of honey.

Potatoes: Eating a small baked potato or a small serving of mashed or roasted potatoes will clear your body of acids that can block the effects of tryptophan.

Turkey: Contains tryptophan. To get the most from the tryptophan in turkey, eat a slice of white turkey meat on a slice of whole-wheat bread in the middle of the evening.

Whole-Wheat Bread: Eating a slice of whole-wheat bread will trigger your body to release insulin, which can help deliver tryptophan to your brain. Once in your brain, the tryptophan is converted to serotonin.

Hope that gives you some ideas :)

:iagree: with Poppet about the naps. Sleep when you can. Has Mr. Hobbit had his sleep disorder evaluated? All the snorting and chain-sawing can't be helping your sleep:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exocoetidae
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom