Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

Yes, I was slow but survived just fine...much comfier and could set my own limits and medication and nap times.
And yes, I confirm Layla is crazy:loll:
 
Oops Mojo.....our posts passed somewhere out there.....
 
@Gretel, you are dealing with a lot, especially with 2 hips being done. Don’t worry about your husband. You have probably spoiled him, but he’ll step up. However hard he will have it he is capable of doing what needs to be done. My husband took a little bit to realize that he HAD to take care of things after I had my hip done last year. This year, he’s a pro. He keeps the cold water full, the ice packs frozen, the walker handy, built me a little step tp get into my bed more easily. He keeps my meds and small flashlight on my bed stand. The strips that keep my incision dry are pre cut and two rolls of tape on the bathroom counter. Shower bench in and water warm when I want to shower. This hip has been so much easier than the last one. The big difference is that we are both retired. I wish you had a friend who could spend some time with you and let the dogs in and out. The dogs can usually tell when you are hurt and while they will be excited I believe they can sense your pain.

I changed my attitude too. Im not fussy now about when I sleep and when I don’t. Things will get back to normal in 6 weeks or so. I’m making sure I am eating fibrous food and taking magnesium as the NORCO constipates me. Do what YOU need to do to feel better.

I was shaky too. The anesthetic and the meds contributed, but I was bearing most of my body weight on my arms. I walk and rest, walk and rest, and repeat.

You will me much happier when you get home.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
A doctor came and talked to me this morning and I was in tears again cause I want to be home. He explained they are worried about me being alone in case something happens. If anyone looks at me I burst into tears but it's not pain most of the time.
A lovely lady from physio brought me a grabber yippee yippee! Such joy. We had a chat about how I'll be at home and she's promised to talk to me again soon.
I'm feeling much more positive :)
My brother is bringing Mum to visit later too :)
Sorry I've been whining so much!
 
Whining is allowed! Your body has been through a lot and that’s not just physical.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Gretel , sweetie...Maybe you should decide where you want to be and not be concerned
about what others feel you should do. It's your recovery. You've heard that another bi-lateral handled it alone for a number of hours during the day early on, so it can be done. It sounds as though you want to go home.

You're overwhelmed right now, which is understandable. This will get better. We've all been where you are, to one degree or another. Obviously you're dealing with more as a bi-lateral but a lot of the feelings and emotions are the same for us all. Fear, a sense of loss, questioning your decision, trying to envision your future. Doubting life will ever be normal again. Add to that pain, fatigue and low mood......recipe for misery. We made it through and you will too. You have many here who care and will continue to be here to encourage you as you recover.

You mentioned your mom and brother. Have you considered asking either of them, other family members, or
friends to come visit you for a few hours a day, for your first days back home? Maybe you'd settle in easier knowing someone was there, or coming by for a few hours.....

I know you'll figure this out. A week from now you'll probably be amazed at how much better you feel and
how you've improved.

Wishing you a great visit with family today.....
 
Hi @Gretel I’m sorry you are feeling low. It must be difficult to be in rehab when others are talking about home but I don’t think I could cope with being bilateral at home this early.

I don’t like feeling unwell which I hadn’t anticipated. Yesterday I fell asleep every time I sat in the chair and also felt nauseous. As we are at the same point in our recovery you probably have those feelings as well as the additional issues of two operated hips to get around on. Have you got a lot of bruising? I now have the biggest bruise ever and it’s surprisingly painful and I feel I have gone backwards a bit.

I think you are with people encouraging you to go slowly whilst I have a personal cheerleader who keeps asking if I would like to be up walking, doing exercises etc. As he never sleeps during the day he comments every time I doze off!

Please try to stay in rehab longer until you are safely on your feet. Keep writing on here. There are enough of us around the world in different time zones to virtually hold your hand over the next few days.
 
@Gretel I am sorry you are having a tough go of it. I agree about doing what you feel is best for you not what they feel us best. My doctor wanted me to go to rehab too but I told them no thank you I wanted to be home with my hubby, recliner, bed etc. Recovery is a physical and emotional roller coaster. You are allowed to whine, cry, yell or whatever gets the stress out. Although not many of us have done the bilateral, we each had our own share of the ups and downs. You and hubby can get it figured out and before long you will feel better. Baby steps are the best way to do this. Look at it this way, you had one surgery and got done all at once what those of us that had both hips done needed 2 surgeries, recoveries, pain etc. You got it all done and dusted. I know that may not be much consolation now but hoping it will be soon. Hoping they get your meds sorted out, you get some decent rest and start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Sending healing hugs your way. :console2:
 
Hi @Gretel I’m sorry you are feeling low. It must be difficult to be in rehab when others are talking about home but I don’t think I could cope with being bilateral at home this early.

I don’t like feeling unwell which I hadn’t anticipated. Yesterday I fell asleep every time I sat in the chair and also felt nauseous. As we are at the same point in our recovery you probably have those feelings as well as the additional issues of two operated hips to get around on. Have you got a lot of bruising? I now have the biggest bruise ever and it’s surprisingly painful and I feel I have gone backwards a bit.

I think you are with people encouraging you to go slowly whilst I have a personal cheerleader who keeps asking if I would like to be up walking, doing exercises etc. As he never sleeps during the day he comments every time I doze off!

Please try to stay in rehab longer until you are safely on your feet. Keep writing on here. There are enough of us around the world in different time zones to virtually hold your hand over the next few days.

Thank you. I've calmed down and feeling much more positive. I'm going to stay a bit longer till I'm stronger. They'd prefer me to go home on crutches rather than the walker. I've been practicing with crutches but doctor would prefer me on walker a little longer. Last night was my first night not asking for endone and I did pretty well. Slept reasonably and I'm not in pain.
I had the dressings changed yesterday and all looks good. And my brother brought mum to visit :)


Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
You sound better @Gretel It's nice to hear.
A few more days in re-hab may be helpful and at least you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
Happy to hear you had a nice visit with family. That always helps!
Best wishes for a restful day of recovery.....
 
Thank you. I've calmed down and feeling much more positive. I'm going to stay a bit longer till I'm stronger. They'd prefer me to go home on crutches rather than the walker. I've been practicing with crutches but doctor would prefer me on walker a little longer. Last night was my first night not asking for endone and I did pretty well. Slept reasonably and I'm not in pain.
I had the dressings changed yesterday and all looks good. And my brother brought mum to visit :)


Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I've gotten myself a bit confused (not hard lol). I was having trouble with the forum website. I couldn't get back on so I'm on Tapatalk. Still trying to find my way around.
I'm thinking of going home Saturday morning all going well. Hubby will be home all weekend so will help me settle in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
You sound better @Gretel It's nice to hear.
A few more days in re-hab may be helpful and at least you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
Happy to hear you had a nice visit with family. That always helps!
Best wishes for a restful day of recovery.....
Thanks @Layla

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
@Gretel...you are doing this.
We have it double hard but you will be better slowly and happy. This I believe with all my heart.
I have to go sit as t a fundraiser for my Food Bank for 2 and half hours and I'm absolutely zonked. "A Night with Frank and Dean" I'd rather be beat with a stick.
Healing hugs and keep the faith. :loveshwr:
 
@Gretel...you are doing this.
We have it double hard but you will be better slowly and happy. This I believe with all my heart.
I have to go sit as t a fundraiser for my Food Bank for 2 and half hours and I'm absolutely zonked. "A Night with Frank and Dean" I'd rather be beat with a stick.
Healing hugs and keep the faith. :loveshwr:
Thanks [emoji4]
Any tips for getting in the car to go home @Mojo333 That's the next thing worrying me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Gretel
As a bi-lateral Mojo may have the best suggestion. Please don't worry though because I'm sure someone from
the re-hab place will assist you to the car and teach you how to get in. There are videos on YouTube on a lot of post surgery "how to's."

I know the front seat is normally recommended with the seat pushed back as far as possible and slightly reclined. I was advised to place a large trash bag on the seat making it easier to swivel around to a forward position once seated. It worked like a charm! I worried about accessing the car as well as getting up 3 steps into the house. Neither was even remotely an issue. I stressed for nothing......
 
Last edited:
I agree with @Layla . Most places show you haw to get in a vehicle and into your house before you leave the hospital or rehab. It won't be a problem. If you feel concerned, just ask someone st rehab about it and see what they say.

I hope you can take comfort in the fact that things will now start to improve quickly. It may not seem like it from one day to the next but after a week, if you look back, you will see the changes. It's quite amazing really. Just hang in there and try to relax, get lots of rest and ice, ice, ice :ice:

Sending happy, healing thoughts your way :flwrysmile:
 
I agree with @Layla . Most places show you haw to get in a vehicle and into your house before you leave the hospital or rehab. It won't be a problem. If you feel concerned, just ask someone st rehab about it and see what they say.

I hope you can take comfort in the fact that things will now start to improve quickly. It may not seem like it from one day to the next but after a week, if you look back, you will see the changes. It's quite amazing really. Just hang in there and try to relax, get lots of rest and ice, ice, ice :ice:

Sending happy, healing thoughts your way :flwrysmile:
Thanks. [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom