Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

@Gretel Hey my bilateral buddy. All those little naps add up to rest.
When you aren't too doped up you can review my initial whiny posts post op.
See how it progressed.
I was going through much the same as you.
Fast forward today, did a ten hour work day, walked a zillion miles, was annoyed approximately ten times by volunteers, clients, and the general public...ate chicken nachos and am kicked out in recovery recliner with sore thighs...and NO bad hips.
Gonna happen for you one day. I'm rooting for you!:happyfeet:
Thanks @Mojo333 I got a little more sleep last night but so sleepy today!
Physio asked me this morning why I need to go home tomorrow. Apparently they don't usually discharge on weekends but no one told me that. I said I thought I'd be more comfortable at home and hubby is home all weekend to look after me.
Hubby is worried I'm coming home cause of him. He is so tired cause he doesn't sleep well if I'm not there. And he's
working, visiting me and caring for five dogs. If he looked better I'd probably make the most of being looked after a bit longer.
But really I think my own bed and recliner sounds very good... I guess I've just gotten used to having doctors and nurses about if I'm not going well. It makes me feel safe. Apart from not sleeping well though everything is good.
Sorry just rambling!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Go home @Gretel. It will be okay. You can be just as pitiful at home. I was.
But I honestly believe this will be for the best. You will be amazed at what you will be able to manage, just oh so slowly.
You remind me so much of myself at this stage and I truly can empathize with your longing for home and your anxiety about going.
Hey, you are stuck with me. We are attached at the hips, so to speak.:friends:
 
Last edited:
Hi @Gretel
I agree with @Mojo333
Bet you'll really notice progress once you're in the comfort and privacy of your home
without constant noise and interruptions. You'll sleep better....for sure.
Lots of sleep = Healing!
Best Wishes for a restful, relaxing weekend and continued recovery...
 
Go home @Gretel. It will be okay. You can be just as pitiful at home. I was.
But I honestly believe this will be for the best. You will be amazed at what you will be able to manage, just oh so slowly.
You remind me so much of myself at this stage and I try can empathize with your longing for home and your anxiety about going.
Hey, you are stuck with me. We are attached at the hips, so to speak.:friends:
Thanks @Mojo333 I needed to hear that. I think we are very alike cause everything you've said resonates with me :) Hip hip and away lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Gretel
I agree with @Mojo333
Bet you'll really notice progress once you're in the comfort and privacy of your home
without constant noise and interruptions. You'll sleep better....for sure.
Lots of sleep = Healing!
Best Wishes for a restful, relaxing weekend and continued recovery...
Thank you @Layla :) I feel so much better with reassurance!
When I decided the other day I wanted to go home on Saturday I felt right about it. But then I've had hubby telling me not to come home cause of him, Mum telling me I should stay longer and doctors and physio telling me I'd be better to stay. Got me doubting myself!
I love this forum and you wonderful people :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Weekend absolutely best time to go. They are all just worried. You are gonna get on the mend just as quickly when you get some piece of mind.
Yay for home tomorrow, don't stress. Tell mom your double hippy pal is doing the happy dance for you.
Try to rest, small things like the ride home are all firsts at this point.
Like a new baby deer.
You've got this:ok:
 
Physio took me for a walk outside after doing my exercises and she's given me a letter to give my physio regarding what I've been doing. At this stage I don't know if I'll be seeing someone or not. All heading the right direction to get out tomorrow. I've yet to see a doctor today.
Very excited about going home!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Just took my dressings off and my skin is reacting to them :(
They'll give me waterproof ones for when I shower then shall have to take them off straight after and use some other gentler ones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
It is Friday early morning here Gretel and you were the first one on my mind.
I did the waterproof dressings also, showers at home were not long...and hubby hovered outside the door the first times, but glorious, and tiring, and HOME.
Well be crazy day at food Bank. Will have small army of 18-20 year olds to 'help' me with donations. I'm super tired as I've overdone it this week, but am happy for you so that makes my day better.
Hope helps poor hubby rest easier also.
All temporary, so please take comfort in that.:froggies:
 
Now what is it about overdoing things..... The work you do is amazing. I hope you are appreciated!
Just slept for an hour and a half then trekked round to put my ice packs back in the freezer. Hopefully I'm going back to sleep now. Tomorrow night will be in my own wonderful bed next to my own wonderful husband [emoji1]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Well Gretel.....it's the final countdown!
I'm excited for you. I think you'll do so much better at home.
Your posts sound much more positive these days. Lighter and showing your sense of humor.
It's been wonderful to see.
You may have some minor struggles at home, we all do, but I think you'll find them to be fleeting.
You'll rest better, sleep better and make more progress. Look how far you've come already and it's only
been a week and a half! It's only 8:00 am here but I think your nearing bedtime.
Wishing you sweet dreams tonight and a relaxing weekend at home beginning tomorrow.....Yay!
@Gretel
 
@Gretel As someone who just came home today, I absolutely think you should take advantage of your husband being with you all day. Even though I tried to plan ahead, there are many little adjustments we needed to make. And as someone with (only) two dogs, I really appreciated my husband reassuring one dog who was very anxious about the walker. He also wanted to be sure the dogs wouldn't get in my way as I lightly dance (shuffle) across the floor.
As to getting into the car, I was talked through the entire routine by two nursing assistants. My husband was able to watch so we could undo the routine once at home. It's very much like getting into bed, but in my case, a much higher seat.
Good luck going home - I know I felt so much better just being in familiar surroundings. Just click those ruby slippers (or not - if you had anterior surgery!)
 
@Gretel As someone who just came home today, I absolutely think you should take advantage of your husband being with you all day. Even though I tried to plan ahead, there are many little adjustments we needed to make. And as someone with (only) two dogs, I really appreciated my husband reassuring one dog who was very anxious about the walker. He also wanted to be sure the dogs wouldn't get in my way as I lightly dance (shuffle) across the floor.
As to getting into the car, I was talked through the entire routine by two nursing assistants. My husband was able to watch so we could undo the routine once at home. It's very much like getting into bed, but in my case, a much higher seat.
Good luck going home - I know I felt so much better just being in familiar surroundings. Just click those ruby slippers (or not - if you had anterior surgery!)
Ah yes I'm pleased to be going today. Nearly all organised. Hubby is home next two days with me :) For the next week he'll work slightly shorter hours and my daughter can come around.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Nearly all packed up ready to go home :) Just waiting for hubby to help with some last things. I had to stand quite a while waiting to have dressings changed and I ended up feeling a bit off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
You'll be okay @Gretel. I'm sure it was just from standing still, trying not to move, also you've spent many days mainly lying down. A negative reaction to a change in position doesn't always happen instantaneously. It can take seconds or a minute. There is a nervous excitement involved in all of this too. How am I going to get in the car, the house....Will I miss the medical professionals, will the dogs jump on me etc.
You're going to do great! You'll be home and settled in shortly. You'll relax and ALL will fall into place,
You sound happy, positive and assured. You're on your way, sweetie! I'm happy for you...
Best wishes for a great weekend!
 
You'll be okay @Gretel. I'm sure it was just from standing still, trying not to move, also you've spent many days mainly lying down. A negative reaction to a change in position doesn't always happen instantaneously. It can take seconds or a minute. There is a nervous excitement involved in all of this too. How am I going to get in the car, the house....Will I miss the medical professionals, will the dogs jump on me etc.
You're going to do great! You'll be home and settled in shortly. You'll relax and ALL will fall into place,
You sound happy, positive and assured. You're on your way, sweetie! I'm happy for you...
Best wishes for a great weekend!
Thanks @Layla I am excited and nervous. But if it wasn't for you lovely people I'd be scared.
I've taken endone in case the car trip isn't too good. Now waiting like a zombie lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
YOU'VE GOT THIS!
You're strong, determined, you'll do well.
It's all good......promise!
Sending a hug your way.... @Gretel
 
Last edited:
Please let us know if they let you go @Gretel. The day before yesterday I was all checked out, and as I was dressing with the OT I became lightheaded and nauseous. At first I was upset that I couldn't go home, but it was really for the best - Each day you get so much stronger.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom