Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

Ugh - I hate vertigo. I don't get it as often now as I used to but used to get blinding migraines with it. The only bad episode I had in recent years was the day of the solar eclipse last year (we were in the "path of totality" ) - I barely made it outside to see it!

Do you take anything for yours? I'm on a low dose of nortriptyline which has helped prevent the vertigo and headaches and had the wonderful side effect of also helping with my insomnia. When I do get it, I use Meclizine (Antivert or Bonine) and it helps.

Hope you can keep it at bay.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @SaraK. No I’m not on anything for it. It’s been a while since it’s reared it’s ugly head. It’s never woken me in the wee small hours before but has twice in a week now. It was really nasty this morning with profuse sweating and vomiting. I need to get to the doctor but I couldn’t get in today.
 
Not sure about what's available there compared to here, but the same strength of Meclizine (thats the generic name) is sold here under a prescription and over the counter. The over the counter is sold with the travel sickness meds. It does cause drowsiness, which isn't all bad either for me because sleep helps resolve it as well (except for the eclipse version).

And I corrected above - Bonine not bovine (darn autocorrect - has nothing to do with cows)
 
Thanks @SaraK. I’ve found travel sickness tablets a bit helpful. I’ll have a look for it.
 
Vertigo, oh heavens. Not allowed to have vertigo when recovering from double hip surgery. :xmark:It should be a rule!
I sincerely hope you can get that sorted...so sorry you are struggling.
 
Hope you are feeling better, Gretel.
Vertigo, I understand, is simply miserable.
Wonder what in the world causes it? Do you think water in your ears with your aqua therapy can bring it on?
Please don't fall down and go boom!
Hoping you have a better week !:roseshwr:
 
Hi thanks for the concern. I had a virus years ago and had vertigo then. It seems to pop back every now and then since. I did wonder if the water had caused it so I’ve stopped diving in. I’ve been fine since Friday.
It’s 4 months today since I got the new hips! Slowly walking more. I’ve been to the pool this morning and exercised for about forty minutes then been to school to see my grandson start school :) I was walking and on my feet for about twenty minutes at school and feeling it in my thighs by the time I got back to the car. But I did it.
@EmEm, @Welshgirl and @weezie I hope you’re all going well and enjoying your 4 month old hips!
 
I've had vertigo issues side I was a teenager. For me, I often got migraine headaches with them. Not related to water for me. Diagnosed as "idiopathic" which basically means they don't know what causes it. I could tell an attack was coming on before I could feel dizzy or have a headache and could often start treatment ahead of time so didn't get too bad. Some of the worst ones before I got to that point would last a week or more with the dizziness and headache spirally off each other. Not fun!
 
Oh, Gretel, I feel for you. I haven’t had vertigo in 2 years, but suffered terribly from it for 2 years right before retirement. For me, it was caused by loose crystals in my right ear. I would have the Epley manuever done and most times it would go away until I turned the “wrong” way again. I even drove 3 Hours to sit in a chair while the chair tipped and tilted trying to dislodge the crystals.
I worried that while having my hip operated on, they would turn me the wrong way. Imagine waking up from hip surgery and experiencing vertigo!

Crossing my fingers and toes it goes away for you!
 
@SaraK yes as a teenager I started having horrid migraines and whenever I got any sort of virus I’d get dizzy. It wasn’t full blown vertigo though. I didn’t start that till much older. I think I have a problem with inner ear and balance cause I get car sick, air sick, seasick... I even get seasick swimming.
Thanks @Knitquilt I’ve heard of the manuever. If it bothers me again I’ll be off to the doctor. Shall have to get to the bottom of it. It’s nasty.
 
Happy 4 month anniversary!
Hope this week is great as you continue to move forward in recovery :flwrysmile:
@Gretel
 
@Gretel, I’m doing well thank you. I’m very impressed that you dive into the swimming pool! I venture in very cautiously down the steps.
My husband has suffered with attacks of vertigo for several years and is on a very low salt, caffeine free diet which has helped. Do see your GP if it happens again.
Did your grandson enjoy his first day at school?
 
That’s interesting about your husbands diet @EmEm. Yes I’ll certainly investigate further if it recurs. Glad you’re doing well :hugzz: Xandy had fun at school!
 
I have suffered from BPPV - Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo and migraines. Am in a full blown bout of vertigo at the moment, wakes me up in the middle of the night, head spinning. It's the worst feeling in the whole world. A few years ago after having many migraines and vertigo, I was diagnosed with two meningiomas, benign brain tumours. Kind of a watch and wait deal. Like my Dr says...at least I don't have brain cancer. At least I have a new hip...fours months into this journey and has its good days and some discouraging days...still have a limp and leg descreptancy. Walking a far distance but am stiff the next day...all part of getting better and stronger, I guess. I hope everyone is getting along with their recovery and would love to hear all about it...Your Hippy Sister xx
 
Oh @weezie i know what you mean about being woken up feeling that way. It’s awful. I’ve had migraines, vertigo and double vision for quite a while. Had tests but they’ve not found anything. I hope you’re feeling better soon :groan:
 
I know I know I should have gone to the doctor but I really thought it had passed.... I’m flat on my back with vertigo again. Couldn’t get an appointment with my doctor so will have to see any when hubby can take me after work.
 
Oh my stars Gretel. You are really catching it. Please be careful, don't try to move around when you are spinning like that.
I worry you will fall.
 
Hubby came home and took me to the doctor. I didn’t like the one I saw but hard to get into mine. She said it’s probably a virus but come back if I get worse. So not much help. I am feeling better now and stopped spinning.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom