Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

Way too hot here today! It was over 47c. Ugh. I went to the pool early before it got too ridiculously busy. I’m still improving in the pool. Walking has still not improved though. I can’t walk any further than I could at six weeks post op. I’m getting worried. Everything else is so much better and my hips feel strong. I just want to be able to walk!
Yesterday was a sad day for us. One of our old doggies had to have her eye removed :( She’s such a pretty girl. It was a heartbreaking decision to make. She’s recovering very well. Dogs are amazing how they recover.
I hope everyone is having a good painfree day :ice:
 
Awwww @Gretel I'm sorry about your pooch! Poor girl but I'm sure she's being spoiled to bits now. Big hugs though...I understand how precious fur babies are.
Pool in that heat sounds fantastic!!! I have no clue regarding your concern about lack of improvement and walking. I can't imagine two THR....I'm struggling for progress with just one! Sending you loads of hugs though. I sure hope it starts to improve for you...that all that pooling pays off!
 
Thanks @danabanana. Hubby reckons I should forget about the pool and concentrate on walking but the pool is my happy place! I don’t think it’s the answer anyway.
Bree is doing well. She’s such a happy, easy going girl.
 
Oh and it was on the news tonight we were in the hottest place on the planet today!
 
Seriously? Gracious. So sorry for loss of dog's eye...but you know how resilient our pets can be. Poor thing.
Gretel, what exactly is going on when you say you have trouble walking. The length of time you can walk, the weight bearing, the pain??
Maybe if you could be specific about what is going on, there may be some clues for some advice.
Hubby reckons I should forget about the pool and concentrate on walking but the pool is my happy place! I don’t think it’s the answer anyway.
What do you think?
 
Hi @Gretel
I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your dogs eye. Sad for you and the poor puppy.
Whew! I had to look up that temp in degrees, my word....this would be me > :ice:

Sorry you're struggling with back issues. Recovery from bi-lateral is enough in itself.
Consider letting Jo weigh in on your frustration and expectations in regard to walking.
I'll bet she could provide some insight.....

Best wishes for a great week!
 
@Mojo333 I think the pool is helping me. It’s definitely helping me mentally! When I first get up and walk all is good but after a few minutes I start feeling tightness which progresses to tiredness and pain in my upper thighs. After a bit longer my back starts to join the party. I concentrate on walking evenly but it gets harder as the pain and tiredness goes on. Once I sit and rest for a few minutes I can go again. In the pool I can walk and do stretches for over half an hour. On land only a few minutes.
Thanks. Bree is doing well.
 
Oh and I’ve tried pushing a trolley. That helps a tiny bit but I still get sore and tire quickly.
 
Maybe cut back a bit on time in pool. We don’t always hurt while doing exercise, but it can hit afterwards.
 
@Gretel you were hot! We were -24°F this am. They closed Killington Ski Area because wind chill was -50°F. Mount Washington set a new record cold. Something like -90°F! I just want to go outside and not have my face hurt!
 
I can only speculate that the tightness may denote swelling ...guessing you are still finding time to ice all you can.
I sure hoped you were feeling better, but honestly two and a half months is still early on.
Seems like my biggest turn to normal was more noticeable at 4 months.
I'd you feel like things are not going right, you might ask for earlier OS appointment, although my fear is that they will suggest more PT which I think will only aggravate it.
They do alot of wrenching on things and disturbing things while getting those new hips in.
Keep doing what you can, stay super hydrated as that can effect muscles.
I am sending good mojo your way!:angel:
 
Thanks @Mojo333 I am still icing but might up it a bit. I saw physio yesterday for my back. He massaged a bit, put a heat pack on then sent me on my way. I left sorer than when I went. The pool this morning helped :) I’m seeing the physio I like who was helpful with my walking next week.
 
Sorry about the back pain @Gretel
It's too bad the massage made it feel worse. Thankfully the swim helped.
It will be nice to see the physio that you like again next week.
Hopefully your visits help!
 
Hope today is a good day...as I said, I am now in the last few months just able to get up and go without it being all about my legs...and my gait, and my back, and how this feels funny, and how this is different...etc.
It will get easier I hope for you. I will be pursuing chiropractor for some lingering back junk, but it is half as bad as it was two months ago. So I keep trying to work on my posture etc which seems to help with lower back.
Thinking of you today :wave:
 
Back pain is so miserable. So glad that the pool gives you some relief. Hopefully the physio you see next week can help further. I’ve always found ice works better on my back pain rather than heat.
The massage may give more benefit today rather than yesterday. Hope your pain eases
 
Thanks for the lovely thoughts. Exciting day today. We’re getting a new lounge, recliner for hubby, and bed :) Oh I so hope I’ve chosen the right bed! I laid on a lot!
 
Hope the bed and the new furniture are suiting you...I got a new mattress about one month into recovery...was still uncomfortable honestly until about 4 months out.
Hope your weekend is a good one.
Thinking of you, my bilateral pal.
 
Hey there Gretal thought I would pop on here and see how you are doing....
I see you are having some back issues... that's not fun hope it eases up for you.
How's your walking going? Any improvement?
Sending you a big hug :flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom