Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

I was told no swimming until 4 months after scabs are gone. I was hoping swimming would speed recovery
I think different docs say different things. My doc said I could go swimming a few days after the 2 week post op appointment. Nobody else's seem to have said that. ??? Guess we just have to follow what our docs says to the best of our ability.
 
Weezie,
I'm with you on staying with the cane until the limp is entirely gone. I want my gait to be wonderful because I think that will make for years of health. I have probably pushed it on a few things, but I always walk with my cane. I do try a step or two without just to see. But it's not there yet. So I'm going to wait and do the hip strengthening exercises (gentle swings out to the side) until I can do a perfect gait without the cane.
 
Hope all is getting better Gretel.
I am so happy you are able to go to the pool...I love the water but never seem to find time to get to the pool before work anymore and I'm too lazy to go after.
You have done so well...makes for great inspiration for upcoming bilaterals.
 
Well done ! I’m sleeping so much better too although having done my longest walk yesterday I did need an ice pack at 3am. Let’s hope all the Fab Four are sleeping well as we approach our 8 week anniversary!
 
Thanks @EmEm glad you’re sleeping better too. That was my first night that I didn’t end up in the recliner :)
 
Awesome work @Gretel! Keep up the great recovery, even if they think we are pensioners...xx
 
She is Sleeping! Yay, so jealous.
Trying to make me look bad with all this great recovery you've got going on, ay?
Sleep is the best healer...for physical state and mental health!
Glad things are on the upswing.:yes!:
 
You are funny @Mojo333 ! Another pretty good night. I managed to get a little sleep on my tummy/side though my back is complaining about that.
How long till the stiffness eases in my hips? Though I think my back is getting stiffer so that’s not helping. I’m thinking I may need to go back to the physio for my back. I’m not really managing to walk very upright due to the stiffness. It still seems quite uncomfortable walking and standing.
 
I think the stiffness can vary--but I had stiffness/tightness for a while. I figured if that was the longest side effect, I was lucky.
 
@Gretel I've read through your whole thread and wow, what a journey. 2 hips at once...I can't even imagine. I bow :bow:

At postop day 6, I can hardly wait to be able to sit...and stand without almost passing out or wincing in pain. I'm so encouraged by your journey!!! Are you sleeping better? Oh how I long to be able to curl up on my side. This back sleeping is just garage! Lol
 
Thanks @MammaT .
@danabanana a friend had both hers done years ago and she encouraged me. I figured I’d rather feel really bad for a while rather than bad twice.... Though very early post op I was seriously questioning my sanity! @Mojo333 talked me down. She was so wonderful! It was when I was having to get up to go to the toilet a few times during the night and just getting out of bed was so hard. But that passed quickly and I’m relieved I don’t need to face more surgery. The surgeon said I’d only have six to twelve weeks between ops and I didn’t fancy that at all.
The last two nights I’ve managed to get semi comfortable on my belly/side a few times and I’ve had two full nights in bed. I can’t tell you the relief!! Still not what I’d call comfy in bed but certainly improving a lot :) Have you asked anyone about your pain meds? I don’t think you should have that much pain. I feel for you with the blood pressure. It’s a horrid feeling.
 
I couldn't agree more, I'd go for both vrs one over the other if that was my choice. My right hip is thankfully fairly stable so I'm good for hopefully, a long time. And boy can I relate to those moments of questioning your sanity. Night 2 post op, I texted hubby saying "So hey, I've decided I don't want the hip replacement anymore...k? K." hahaha
I'm caught in that terrible catch 22...more meds control the pain.....more meds and I'm so groggy I can't do anything. Less meds I'm too sore to do anything. Lol the more meds adds to my dizziness. My SIL is a post-op RN... So that's wonderful. She's got me adding salt to my Gatorade and adjusted my meds dosage and told me to continue to take my breakthrough as needed rather than no at all. I'm just not a huge fan of any of it but pain is a real mood ruiner too so, pain killers for the win! Haha
Congrats on sleeping in your bed. That must feel wonderful, despite not being perfectly restful. I'm definitely looking forward to more wonderful parts. Haha
 
Just back from shopping. Probably about 25 to 30 minutes walking slowly or standing holding the trolley. I ended up having to sit down for a little while. The stiff, tight thighs progressed to pain. I cut back to half dose of anti inflammatory last night and just taking panadol. I guess not enough :( I’m nearly eight weeks should I still need meds?
 
Hey @Gretel , I guess this is your body telling you that the shopping trip was a little too much. :console2:
Rest, ice, elevate, take pain meds. This too shall pass. :flwrysmile:
 
Yes ma'am...you still do. I did. Really months 3 and 4 showed the biggest turning point for me. I got where I could do more all the time when I was a few months out, but definitely felt it.
I had to go back to work so Was a period of doing much more...followed by feeling it for the rest of the evening. Icing and wondering would I ever just be able to do normal without paying for it.
Hope all continues to get easier...:curtsey:
 
Thanks :) I’d decided I should be finishing up with meds. I was surprised when the pain got a bit nasty this afternoon.
 
I did too at around six weeks I ran out of meds I was mostly just taking in evening. I'm not about taking alot of meds...but I called and got refill of pain killers for as needed basis and took Josephine suggestion of 1000 mg Tylenol Regimen regularly...which I had serious doubt about it due to never touched my pre-op pain. Did help much more than I thought it would.
 
I still have half of my pain pills, as it became less necessary but was nice to have for necessary times.
No need to hurt...this was big surgery
 
gretel what type of surgery did you have the pool in 7 weeks would be good
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom