Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

Aww Gretel,
Try not to be discouraged. Maybe instead of trying to walk a bit further each day, add a little distance each week. Also, if it's determined you are anemic that could be contributing to fatigue. You are only 5 weeks out from major surgery, bi-lateral no less, I'm sure lack of energy is to be expected to a degree. Your body is using a lot of energy to heal. It does it's best healing while we sleep....so maybe you should give in to the fatigue in the form of a nap whenever you're feeling really tired. It will all get better, give it time.
Wishing you a peaceful and relaxing weekend.
@Gretel
 
Thanks @Layla it probably doesn’t help that I’m not sleeping much. A really good night is five hours but more often I’m only getting a few hours. I can’t sleep in the day though. I see the surgeon next Thursday. I’m hanging out for that and hoping he’ll tell me I can side sleep and hopefully I’ll be able to get comfy....
 
Don't do more, do less...if it tires you or makes you more sore.
It was hard to do for me when I saw everyone else seemingly progressing twice as fast.
Most only had ONE hip done.
I saw marked improvement in mobility and sleep by month three ...Again not what you may want to hear. Hope OS gives you good report.
Sorry you are feeling stress about slow pace...it was same for me:bored:
 
Last edited:
Hi @Gretel
Fingers crossed you get the green light next week to sleep in whatever position makes you most comfy.
I'm sure you'll have a good visit with your surgeon. You can get an answer to your anemia concerns. I'm also certain he'll be encouraged by your progress. You have to keep reminding yourself you had twice as much done as most of us. Your recovery will not be the same. I think you're doing great!
Sending a warm hug and wishes for a great weekend!
 
Thanks @Mojo333 and @Layla. I walked a little further yesterday and I was a bit sore last night. Think I’ll take it a bit easy today. Can’t rush it no matter how much I want to :( I know that’s what you’ve been telling me lol I do tend to be a stubborn critter.....
I hope you have a great weekend and thanks for always being there with just the right words!
I found something that has helped a bit with sleep. It’s a diffuser that I put lavender in and it has a sound option so I have the sound of the surf playing quietly all night. I’m not getting full nights but sleeping better than I was.
 
Hey @Gretel . It's very true, can't be hurried or it will slow you down.
You ARE really doing well, I promise.
Try to envision how amazing next year will be. I remember having thoughts like, what the heck did I do?
Our memories kind-of start fading about how restricted we were becoming.
All temporary my bilateral buddy.
Sending super healing Mojo your way.
Mmhmmm.love lavender!:yes:
 
I think I’ve mentioned beforemthat recovery takes a LOT of patience! We all want to “work”toward our recovery but in actuality, that just slows us down. We just have to take it slow and steady and we will make it just fine :loveshwr:
 
Hi @Gretel i saw your question about pillows on @Welshgirl’s thread. First up, I have a double bed and room all to myself! I have 3 pillows at the head end, one i pull down so it’s under my upper back. The other two raise me up so I’m not flat. I have another thin pillow under my lower legs so that my heels don’t touch the bed. The last big fat pillow sticks out at the bottom of the bed and keeps the duvet off my feet!

I also have an ice pack under my lower back because that often aches when I go to bed. I sound like a princess but it works for me most of the time. It will be a happy bedtime when I only need one pillow!
 
Thanks @EmEm i think I need to try some different configurations :)
 
I’m seeing the surgeon on Thursday for my six week check and hoping he’ll tell me I’m okay to drive. Do you think I’d be okay to drive about twenty minutes on Friday? My car is automatic. I’d really like to get one of my dogs to the vet on Friday if I can.
 
Maybe decide after doc releases you and maybe go for shorter drive Thursday and see what you think then?
 
Pre op my back was causing me a lot of trouble. Multi level facet joint disease, bulging discs and scoliosis. I couldn’t lift anything much at all. Post op it’s been feeling good. I know I’ve not been doing much but pre op I couldn’t even lie on my back and of course that’s the only way I can lie now. Today my youngest grandson was upset and I actually stood and cuddled him for a minute or so. It felt so good! I so hope this is a sign of things to come. I’ve hated not even being able to pick up my dogs.
 
Last edited:
Gretel you are doing so well even though you may not think so! Keep smiling :0) :flwrysmile:

I drove for the first time the other day and only went a few miles to see how it felt to get in and out of the car, the twist and turning to see traffic and using the pedals! I am usuing booster cushions to feel more comfortable, it felt so good to have the ability to get out when I want to but still won't be going too far! See what the Doc says then have a little trail run... good luck.
 
I think you will be fine to drive. Obviously make sure no drug effects...
You sound like you have this under control. Still alot of healing to do but your story is already comforting and inspiring others.
 
Wow @Gretel
I'm trying to imagine the pain you must have lived with pre-surgery. With the bulging disks and scholiosis it had to be very trying at times. Throw in two deteriorating hips.....that's a lot for one tiny little Gretel! It's so wonderful to hear it's eased enough that you are able to cuddle with your grandson and possibly soon pick up your dogs.

You may not always feel progress but we sure do when you express you are hoping to get the okay to drive to the vet in a few days. That is a big change from a couple weeks ago. Although it may still feel like an uphill
battle at times.....you're on your way.....you're doing it. So very happy for you!

Practice driving in a safe area before you head out in traffic to make sure you feel comfortable hitting the brake suddenly if need be.

Sending love, hugs and best wishes for a great week!
 
@Gretel
SIX WEEKS! Wow....time flies.
Wishing you a good visit with your surgeon tomorrow, Gretel.
Fingers crossed you get the green light to drive.
Hope your week is going well!
 
Hi gals!! I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow as well. I am hoping that he will give me the green light to drive as well. Albeit, it has been nice to be driven around, got a bit use to it all. Yes, was wondering as well if there are specific questions I need to ask him. Am so happy to hear that everyone is making progress, even when it doesn't feel like it...thanks again, for all of you have made this journey so much easier....your hippy sister...Lisa
 
Can you believe 6 weeks!!! Yikes time is definitely flying by! Ladies I hope your meeting with your surgeons go well and you get all restrictions lifted :0)I my surgeon cleared me at 4.5 weeks to do everything within reason and to listen to my body as it would tell me if I could or couldn't do certain things... and he was right! I will see him again at 8 weeks!
Let us know how you get on :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
@Gretel - I asked my surgeon all the normal questions like lifting restrictions and starting work again but also asked if I could go swimming which he agreed too providing I wasn't learning breaststroke for the first time! I also asked about my left hip and he said it has some arthritis but nothing to be alarmed about. Obviously you don't have that prospect having very cleverly done 2 at the same time! I won't have any follow-up appointments because he said he discharges patients but that I could call if I had any problems.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom