Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

I was thinking the same at time...twice the hips, twice the fun...but oh my stars....don't have to go back and do it again.:tada:
 
@Gretel, it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course - like I just did! Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)
 
I've been told Bio Oil is good to help with the scarring. When can I start using it?
Never! Massage post THR
I’m a bit confused by as far as pain meds. I’m currently taking Targin night and morning and panadol osteo three times a day. I’ve not taken any endone for a few days. Doctor told me I’ll be able to drop Targin down to once a day. How will I know when?
Targin oxycodone and naloxone (also known as Narcan which is a medication used to block the effects of opioids)
I really can't see the point of taking this drug since it contains naloxone which effectively blocks the action of the oxycodone. So far as I can see, this therefore negates the oxycodone and renders it pretty much to the level of a placebo. So I would follow your doctor's advice and stop taking it.​
endone oxycodone
this would appear to be your primary pain med so I'd stick with that if I were you!​
panadol osteo acetaminophen 665mg
You could make much better use of the acetaminophen (paracetamol) if you just used the regular type and took 1,000mg 4 times a day (6hrly).​

However, since all this depends upon your pain levels and other things, I'd much prefer to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Thanks @Josephine of course I’m happy to answer questions. I appreciate your help :)
Sorry about all the quoting!
 
Yep, scary showers at first. Careful careful. You are doing so well. I always felt like I had run a small race by the time I was through but clean, and toasty back in my chair.
It is a slow progress at first but it's supposed to be. Bone is adhering to those stems, those hips are just right...now you are on your way to good. Might not seem like it, but you are. Thinking about you.:hi:
 
You are still so very early in your recovery. If you look back to this time last week, you will see how very far you’ve come and each week will keep getting better and better. It is hard to see improvements from one day to the next but if you look over a whole week, you can see how far you’ve come. The whole process is pretty incredible and just finding you have lost all that OA pain is a miracle in itself. It is fantastic to say the least!!
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1 Looking at my wounds it seems to be posterior.
2 mostly actual pain would be 2 but I do have some swelling and burning which is worse evenings. Occasionally I’ll get a pain of maybe 3 but only be every couple of days or so.
3 panadol osteo 665mg 2, three times daily
Targin 10/5 mg twice daily
Endone 5mg break through pain. I’ve not taken it for a couple of days
4 icing at least three times a day an hour plus. Most days four times.
5 I’m spending most of my day in the recliner
6 doing a few odd bits around the house but very little.

7 I’m a bit haphazard with exercising. The physios gave me quite a few but my
OS asks for 3-5 sessions. I’ve been doing three.
Ankle range of movement. Repeat 20times. I do this one more often
Quadriceps contractions 10 times
Hip extension 10 times
Hip abduction 10 times

Physio also wants

knee extensor x 20
Bilateral calf raises x 20
Knee flexor x 20
And several others. I’m not going back there and rarely do these.

OS thinks walking is best thing and to increase each day.

I was planning to go to the hydrotherapy pool in the next week or so but people have shown concern about going in the water too soon in case of infection so I think I’ll put that off a while.
I’m feeling stronger every day and the pain really is minimal so my concern is mostly when to start cutting back on Targin. I just read through OS paperwork again and it says I will be taking Mobic on release from hospital but I haven’t been on that since early days in hospital.

Thanks @Josephine
 
Hey, double hippy girl. Hope you are cooled out.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Mojo333 having a good day. Currently resting after having a shower.
Hope alls well with you :)
 
All is well. I think you are going about this recovery in a smart way. You have plenty of time to tone and strengthen after you give healing its time.
You are a tough cookie, @Gretel. Just keep on keeping on.
I'm going to the country today to do some outside stuff.
You will be out getting you some sun and fresh air soon...
 
@Mojo333 hubby put one of the dogs up on the outside table for me today and I sat and gave her a brush. Nice to be out :) There were lorikeets in the tree nearby. Just lovely!
 
Oh dear I’m coming in to have a whinge this morning. My back is unhappy today. Lying on my back has been bad for a long time and I was amazed since surgery it’s been okay. It seems it’s had enough :( I’ve got multi level facet joint disease. Last night was the same as other nights. Sometime in the recliner and some in bed.
 
I hated the back sleeping too, Gretel. My back still aches me a little sometimes.
Sorry you are going through this but glad you were able to get out.
My recliner was my main resting spot and when that gets uncomfortable...just have to get up and walk a little and tire yourself back out.
6-8 short weeks and the light will get brighter at the end of the tunnel.
Lorikeets, googling them?, you are so lucky.
Eastern bluebirds out here fattening for upcoming winter here. Gorgeous also.
 
Just googled Eastern Bluebirds. They are pretty :)
 
I just rang OSs rooms to ask about stockings. She said it’s best to wear them as long as I can but as long as I’m mobile and doing my exercises I can take them off. Yippeee!
 
Wasn't going to tell you to go against doctor with those stupid TEDS, but I ditched them the first time they needed washing. Horrid. Eastern bluebirds got nothing on lorikeets. They are so so beautiful. You lucky ducky.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Gretel
Sorry to hear your back is bothering you. You can't help but think - one thing at a time, please....
Hopefully it improves so you can get some quality sleep.

Not needing the TED socks while mobile is great motivation to be up and moving.
Those things are a pain. Never heard one person say they missed them!

Had to look up the Lorikeets also......how beautiful! Wouldn't mind seeing one of them in a tree or flying by.
No such luck here.

Best wishes for a great week of continued recovery!
 
Thanks @Layla yes the lorikeets are lovely :) We have some trees they love so they are regular visitors. They are cheeky things!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom