Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

2 mostly actual pain would be 2 but I do have some swelling and burning which is worse evenings. Occasionally I’ll get a pain of maybe 3 but only be every couple of days or so.
But did you factor the swelling and burning into your overall pain score? Assuming you hadn't, I'd make your pain score 5 rather than 2.
I'm also concerned about the burning pain you mentioned. Have you pointed this out to your GP? Because very often this is nerve pain and needs to be treated with gabapentin. I suggest you tell him about it soon.
3 panadol osteo 665mg 2, three times daily
Targin 10/5 mg twice daily
Endone 5mg break through pain. I’ve not taken it for a couple of days
panadol osteopanadol osteo is just paracetamol or acetaminophen and this is pretty much the maximum 24hr dose. But personally, I think you'd get better overall coverage if you took ordinary paracetamol 1,000mg 4 times a day. This is because paracetamol only has an effect for about 4-5 hours so by taking it every 8 hours, you are leaving yourself with no cover for at lease 3-4 hours in between doses
Targin is oxycodone and naloxone (an opioid AKA Narcan) so quite a strong medication.
Ednone is also oxycodone so please to hear you are not taking it!
I’m feeling stronger every day and the pain really is minimal so my concern is mostly when to start cutting back on Targin.
I wouldn't just yet if I were you. It's never a good idea to plan to stop these medications. Better to wait until you start forgetting to take a dose here and there because you have NO pain whatsoever! That way you don't have to wean yourself off it. It just happens naturally.
4 icing at least three times a day an hour plus. Most days four times.
Okay
5 I’m spending most of my day in the recliner
Okay
6 doing a few odd bits around the house but very little.
Very good!

7 I’m a bit haphazard with exercising. The physios gave me quite a few but my
OS asks for 3-5 sessions. I’ve been doing three.
Ankle range of movement. Repeat 20times. I do this one more often
Quadriceps contractions 10 times
Hip extension 10 times
Hip abduction 10 times
Physio also wants
knee extensor x 20
Bilateral calf raises x 20
Knee flexor x 20
And several others. I’m not going back there and rarely do these.
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
OS thinks walking is best thing and to increase each day.
And as you can see, I agree with him 100%!
I was planning to go to the hydrotherapy pool in the next week or so but people have shown concern about going in the water too soon in case of infection so I think I’ll put that off a while.
Considering you're not even 3 weeks out yet, I agree that it's unwise to even consider this. Besides which, it's very very easy to over do stuff in the pool without even realising it. Leave it will at least 4 months out.
 
Be careful with physio! My operated hip was absolutely fine and mostly pain free after 2 weeks .it didn't need physio. It's now week 8 and walking has been good on the operated side but I have thigh pain on the other unoperated hip which was getting very painful and restricting my walking. Went to physio who gave me exercises for this leg. It involved pulling the leg out to the side and back with a band around both ankles. I did this for a few days and now the muscles on the thigh and buttock on operated hip are really hurting..stinging pain, hot and with deep throbbing and keeping me awake at night. I'm very upset . The physio knew I was only 8 weeks after my op and I can see these were the wrong exercises. So I'm now back to worse than how it was just post op!! I'm using ice packs and ibuprofen and worried that there is deeper damage done. Any advice?
 
@PhilippaC that sounds awful :( You poor thing. I’m not planning to go back to the physio. I did go to the physio for months before surgery. She helped my back but not my hips :( When I told her I was booked in for bilateral hip replacements she tried to talk me out of it. Walking had become increasingly difficult and my quality of life wasn’t good.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 today was going fine till we went out for tea. I’m sore now :( Sitting on ice but it’s not helping a huge lot. I don’t think I overdid it but wasn’t very comfortable in the car or at the club so I’ve upset the hips. Tomorrow will be better! Thanks for checking up on me.
 
Nothing just "sits" comfortable for too long right now, right?
Still nice to get out...we hit that balance. Do what's good for my body...do what's good for my soul...sometimes pay for the other with one.
You are doing super and it will slowly be getting easier.
My car is the worst, low with bucket seats. Still don't like to ride more than half hour at a time without wanting out!!
But you are doing it like I did, days with more activity followed by rests. You will get there...we did them both at the same time!!:chuckmarch:
Kinda crazy, kinda cool.
 
Hi @Gretel
Yep, had a problem sitting in the car too.
It felt like the buckle layed in a position that was too close to my incision.
Over the past month I've noticed I can tolerate the car for longer periods
You'll get there, Gretel. It will all come. You've come so far and you sound great!
Not like the very, very early days when Mojo had to talk you off the ledge a couple of times
(saying that in love, we all experience struggles in this crazy journey)
All of you bi-laterals amaze me.....undeniable strength.
Hope you had a good nights sleep by the time you read this.
Best Wishes for a great day!
 
@PhilippaC that sounds awful :( You poor thing. I’m not planning to go back to the physio. I did go to the physio for months before surgery. She helped my back but not my hips :( When I told her I was booked in for bilateral hip replacements she tried to talk me out of it. Walking had become increasingly difficult and my quality of life wasn’t good.

Thanks go your support. I'm really upset I must say . I called the hospital today and they said to take complete rest..no walking or bending for approx 2 weeks... I was just getting back on my feet!
 
Hi @Gretel
You'd thrive even without us. You're young, strong, determined and know how to make light of situations in an effort to stay mentally / emotionally healthy. You're an inspiration, Gretel and I've appreciated getting to know you a bit even though we live a world away from one another.
Keep it up.....you're doing it ALL so well!
 
I'm doing ok much better than this time last week!!!
Had a good Physio session yesterday and have cut my pain medication down quite a bit when ch I'm happy wth... however it I won't be scared to up them again if needed! Still haven't walked without crutches yet so looking forward to that :0)
It's early morning here and is pouring down with rain which was unexpected but very welcome after a long hot summer!
 
It's a scary time. And I had some talking down to be done too.
It always helps if the ledge-talker has also been a ledge-walker. :heehee:
 
Glad you are continuing to do well.
I know you are still dealing with alot or I know I was at this point in my recovery.
Careful as you feel better...remember...2X hip pain, 2x time under anesthesia, 2x blood loss, 2x trauma to body.
No one should compare their recovery exactly to another...but I know I couldn't help but do so.
We all have our journeys and helps to share...but not compare neccesarily.
Hoping today is a good day.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 yes hard not to compare... I’m feeling good. Tired but good. I think I just need to accept that sleep is not going to be good for a while yet. Hubby is still being so supportive. I know it’s been really tough on him. The sleep issue affects him badly too. I’m starting to do more little things around the house but he’s still doing the bulk of it. I’m still spending most of the day resting.
I’m walking mostly with one crutch inside, though going short distances without. Just to be safe I’m still using two crutches outside. It’s pretty amazing for three weeks post op I think.
I really appreciate all the support in here.
 
As I said, the sleep thing was actually several months, ugh like 3:bored:...and yeah, poor hubby. Mine also had it interrupted with me but as I got more steady and he got more confident in my abilities he actually, probably out of exhaustion, got to the point he could sleep through my up and down nightly wanderings.
Glad you are staying positive. Is definitely an up and down journey, physically and emotionally. You are doing super, I think!:ok:
 
"Nightly wanderings" @Mojo333
Love that.....makes me laugh!
I'm picturing a bunch of zombie hippy's
wandering in the night with various walking aids....
a crutch, two crutches, a cane, then of course there are the limpers too.
Sick, how I amuse myself!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom