Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

My wife insisted on taking off work the first week after my first THR. She was worried and drove me nuts watching my every step. She plans on doing the same for the next one. I plan on putting a stop to it this time. I hate having someone wait on me all the time. On the other hand she was much more worried than I was about the whole thing. I don't want her to stress out. She's a worry wart. Its hard on the spouse as we recover.
Wow five dogs. We only have the one chocolate lab right now. But we've had up to Six at one point. The pool feels so good on the new hip.
 
Hi @Gretel
I would give serious consideration into using the hydrotherapy pool this early on.
My OS stressed no baths, hot tubs, lakes, pools until 3 months out. Ocean and seas are included I've read here but I don't reside close to either of those. I fully agree with Mojo and don't think she was oversensitive about it. I was exactly the same way. I wasn't willing to take a chance with anything that could cause a setback, more drugs or hospitalization. Over...done....had enough! Same with nail salons. A big no no :bignono:
Know that I'm offering this out of concern, Gretel not wanting to see you possibly take steps backward. Ultimately the decision is yours.

Just another opinion. I have Bio Oil and wasn't a fan. It is oily.

I purchased a jar of Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E.
it's a solid balm, you rub your fingers on it until you feel you've accumulated enough to rub into your scar. It absorbs quickly but I didn't like rubbing my hands over it trying to get enough to use.

My favorite is Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E in the 250 ml / 8.5 fl. oz bottle.
It is in a squeeze bottle type component. Squeeze out the amount you want, rub it in, it absorbs quickly. I love it and still use it daily at 4 months post op.

Ok, Dr Layla's consultation for the day is over....:heehee:

Wishing you a great day of recovery!
 
Mojo333, I'm too frightened to touch it much! Looking in the mirror it looks good.

Gone again, yes hubby has found it very worrying. He'd put in to have time off work but they knocked him back so he's been starting early and doing a shorter day. He's going to work so tired cause I'm not sleeping so he's not sleeping :(
We had six dogs until June when our old girl died.

Layla, thanks. I'm certainly rethinking now! I'll wait till my six week check and have a chat. I love the water but I don't want to chance it I could get an infection. Not worth it. I'm so bummed now :(
 
I think you're wise in not touching it in these early days.....
other than rubbing soap over it with clean hands in the shower.
That's if your able to shower with no dressing at this point.
You want to do everything to avoid infection until it's fully closed.
Hope you had a restful overnight and wishing you a great day!

PS Since I didn't know if it was day or night for you I had to look to finish my post.
Wowza! ...It looks like your 13 hrs ahead of me! Can that be?
If so.....Happy Thursday.....not even dinner time here yet on Wednesday!
@Gretel
 
8.30 am Thursday morning. It's just weird all the different time zones lol I had a really bad nights sleep. Gave up and dozed in the recliner for a while then maybe an hour or so in bed :( I know if I take endone I'll get to sleep but I'm not in pain so don't want to take it. Would it be worthwhile trying herbal sleep tablets do you think? I took magnesium last night but didn't find any difference.

All my dressings are off now, thank goodness. They were affecting my skin quite badly. I'm a sensitive little thing lol

Thanks @Layla I appreciate your advice :)
 
Wow!! I was wrong.....You're 16 hrs ahead of me.
Have a great Thursday as I finish off Wednesday, lol!

I'm sorry you had a restless night @Gretel I had a couple too early on.
I wonder if you're taking enough magnesium? I've heard to start with 200 mg.
but many people need 500-700 mg. Increasing up to 1000 mg per day if you're suffering from insomnia. Taking it before bed for the benefit of better sleep.
Possibly you could talk to a pharmacist or a health care practitioner before adding supplements to your meds.....

Sadly you may have a few sleepless nights. I don't think it's
that uncommon. Hope you have a good day and are able to sneak in a few naps!
I'm sorry I don't really know about the herbal sleep tablets but maybe someone will come along who's familiar with them....
 
Last edited:
Poor Gretel. It really HAS only been 2 weeks. Did they take X-ray's to show your new hips after your surgery? They had mine in my room when I woke up. Freaky, and sobering. My incisions looked wicked to me...not angry looking, just scary when you figure that had to cut you open and get that prosthetic in there.
Don't be discouraged...just two weeks with TWO new hips.
Healing hugs, it's going to be alright. :console2:
 
You are a superwoman, not many of us bilaterals around...we are TOUGHIES!:chuckmarch:
 
MediKnee pillow just came up on my Facebook feed. Has anyone tried one? Just thinking it looks like it would give me confidence once I can sleep on my side again?
 
Thanks @Mojo333 once again you've popped in and told me what I need to hear! I'm just tired and overwhelmed.
They did X-rays while I was still under. I only know cause I've paid the bill for it lol I haven't seen them.
 
There are clear skies ahead. Worst part almost over. You will be so glad you toughed it out. My OS wouldn't do bilateral so I'm going through it again.
 
It sounds like you are doing well @Gretel for just two weeks out! Recovery comes in very small steps but at the end of the week you can look back to the week before and see the progress. From one day to the next it is hard to see at times unless it is one of those major milestones like "OMG - I can get out of bed all by myself!!" :heehee:

If you feel tired during the day, it is fine to nap although sometimes I wonder if that makes it more difficult to sleep at night. I think it varies from one person to the next. You just do the best you can and don't fret over it. Sleep will never come if you get yourself in a tither. Sleeping on your side sounds so great when you can't do it but for me, it took a while before I was comfortable on my side. It just plain felt "weird" for a few days or maybe even a week and I couldn't do it for long. I only had one hip done but it felt strange no matter which side I slept on but especially if I slept on my unoperated side it seemed. Anyhow you will get there before long. Just remember to have patience, and patience and more patience right now!! :yes!:
 
Thanks @Gone again . Sorry they wouldn’t do bilateral for you. I’ve had quite a few nurses and physios ask why I’d get two done lol
 
Thanks @GrannyC I’m not the most patient of people at the best of times... Last night I tried bed for half an hour then went to the recliner. Slept there for an hour or so then went to bed and slept for another hour and a half. Yay. Then back to the recliner. Then bed. I hadn’t thought about the actual carrying out of the sleeping on my side when it is okayed. It’s going to be uncomfortable both sides isn’t it?! Rats! This time next year I’ll be getting around well and sleeping like a log. Patience.... Can I order some online?
 
I’m a bit confused by as far as pain meds. I’m currently taking Targin night and morning and panadol osteo three times a day. I’ve not taken any endone for a few days. Doctor told me I’ll be able to drop Targin down to once a day. How will I know when? And I’ve just been re reading @Josephine wonderful info articles. I’d forgotten about swelling and burning being classed as pain. I am still getting quite a bit of tightness and swelling and it feels quite warm. Have I dropped endone too soon?
Thanks.
And my tip for the day is don’t drop your ice pack cause it’s really hard to pick up with a grabber lol
 
@Gretel, I attempted to sleep on my previously operated side last night. That lasted about 15 minutes as my operated leg kept wanting to go over into the danger zone. I got my staples out yesterday and that side was pretty sore, so didn’t even consider trying that. I remember it being about 6 weeks before I could sleep a while on the my side. I hate sleeping on my back. I wake myself snoring and my mouth is dry as a bone. I’ll be glad when sleep gets back to where I’d like it to be!
 
Sorry to tell you Gretel Girl...I couldn't sleep comfortably on my sides even when I was allowed to for many many more weeks.
But that was me not you. Sleep is just going to be irregular for a while.
And I dropped everything twice...
So frustrating. Oh, well...gives us something to do...not like can get comfortable for long, but I swear I always dropped my stuff when I was comfortable. :gaah:
 
Wishing you a relaxing Friday, @Gretel
and a peacefully pleasant weekend!
I'm loving that sense of humor you're showing......it's a great sign....
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom