Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

Oh thanks so much for the replies! I feel better now knowing it's quite common.
I keep dozing off this morning, more so than usual. Turns out the antibiotic Side effect is tiredness lol
 
My hubby is pretty well organized this time. This ain’t his first rodeo. He’s awesome and caring. Now, if I can just survive his cooking! [emoji41]


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Since my dressings are off and I've had a chance to look at the wounds I've realised that they are posterior. Well I think they are? I thought they were on my sides but they are more round on my bottom. I'm having a bit of an achey day with my left side today.
Tomorrow will be better :)
 
@Gretel So glad you got to go home and all is falling into place. My hubby was stressed as well and even though I am almost 6 weeks post op, he is still doing a lot and makes sure I don't overdo or get too tired. I am able to do more but its funny, he is like a little mother hen looking after her chicks with me. He is getting better though. I cleaned the kitchen tonight and loaded the dishwasher and he didn't stand there the entire time. Hope you continue to see the improvements and hubby gets some rest. You are doing awesome!
 
@Gretel my incision is posterior. It’s not so far round the back that I’m sitting on it but it’s not visible from the front. Not sure that makes sense to anyone else!

OH went back to work yesterday and was completely different when he came home. I think he had missed some stimulating conversation! He has been very supportive for the past 10 days and has done everything necessary for daily living but doesn’t notice details like crumbs on the floor. I felt bad asking him to vacuum the kitchen floor but was frustrated walking over the bits. I needed a brush attachment on my walking stick!

Hope you are less achey tomorrow. I’m assuming you are about 12 hours ahead of the U.K. and you now asleep!
 
Now you guys have me wondering! My incision is lateral. At least that’s what I was told by my Dr. The incision looks to me to be a little more posterior. Two weeks out I’m still achy. No problem, I’ll take achy over out right pain anytime. My incision also itches! Having the staples removed tomorrow and cannot wait to take a shower without all the prep involved in keeping the wound dry.

My hubby is great, but I understand the inattention to detail. I have a friend that I pay to clean my house once a month. I just asked her if she could come twice a month for the next couple of months. He’s good about keeping up with the bigger chores, but we have a cat and I hate having cat hair in the corners. Gotta love em!




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Gretel. Do you have a better leg? I did...one seemed to mind better than the other. One would pause for a while before I could will it to pick up. My incisions are in front but look extra long ...
Hope you have a better day...it's lonely and a little anxiety inducing when you first get "left".
Hope you are icing as though I really did not have much swelling at all, it IS a great pain reliever.
 
Yes my right leg seems a little stronger. I am icing :) I'm getting a bit more sleep now which is very welcome :) I'm still not doing much at all. Should I be starting to do a bit more? I might be too busy resting?!

@Mscant having five dogs I'm getting a bit of dog hair about lol I usually vacuum frequently but I don't like asking hubby to do more. What's a bit of hair.... lol

@EmEm you might be onto something with the brush attachment!
 
I'm guessing you are walking to the bathroom, into kitchen, etc. That's all I could handle for the first weeks. Rest, Ice, Elevate....and that gives all that jumble time to settle.
Lord, when you can rest...do that all you can.
We went through a major trauma girl...but you will test those new hips out more and more. Especially when your rear and back start to get too sore from sitting and lying down.:heehee:
You really aren't much of a whiner.
I go back and read my posts so I can remember how I was feeling when I check on you...what a walk down memory lane:umm:
I think I was a terrible complainer and worry wart.
Hey, I made it. It's so good to live life again...you will be there...slow we go.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 yes I'm doing those little walks. I even did a very brief walk out to turn a tap on in the front yard this morning.
The tiredness hits every now and then and I doze off. I've never been able to sleep during the day so I guess my body needs the catnaps!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
I was never a napper either, so yes ma'am...body says I need this energy to do some healing.
Hope you've got some appetite. I lost some weight after my surgery as I just want that hungry...not nauseous, just didn't really want much. So I gorged on grapes, and try to drink lots although aggravating when finally got comfortable and nature called.
Those ten steps to the bathroom and back can feel like a marathon.
You're doing fine...:) :-) (:
 
Evening you Hippies!

@Gretel, it sounds to me like you are doing well considering you did both hips at once. You need to stop worrying about being lazy. Your body needs the rest. Conserve your energy for the things you have to do. You have to get up to pee, or to eat and bathe. Remember that Josephine says that hips don’t need that much rehab. Do what you must and you can catch up later on. Ice is one of your best friends right now.

Sleep can be a problem. I’ve mentioned it before, but 400mg of Magnesium can help with rest and constipation. I have a bit of trouble sleeping anyway, and the meds play hell with me. Give it a try if you think it might help.
 
I've been told Bio Oil is good to help with the scarring. When can I start using it?
 
You don't need to put ANYTHING on it until that incision is tight as a drum.
I didn't even swim this summer until over twelve weeks out even though my incisions seemed well healed before then.
We don't want Any Infection.
Don't know about you, but I was over cautious. Do not want ANY Complications.
As devil may care as I used to be, willing to try anything, I'm a nervous Nellie now as I don't want to have to go back and have them fix anything . It was well worth the recovery but these hips are gonna have to stay good as once was enough for me.:bolt:
 
My skin is very dry and incision area seemed to pull so when incision was looking closed I used coconut oil but I kept mostly around and didn't work it in right on scar until much later.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 once is plenty for me too! A doctor I spoke to last week told me I'd be good to go in the hydrotherapy pool in about a week. You've got me thinking now though....
 
I'm a water baby and the pool sounds lovely. As I said, I turned into somewhat a worry wart. Don't let me make you nervous. If you feel it is looking good and fine with it..
I did go to therapy pool later as my daughter is a lifeguard at a local waterpark, and suggested it...and it did feel heavenly.
How does your incision appear to be healing. Mine had internal stitches and surgical glue I think and closed up quickly but I could feel a few little poked up threads and they finally descended, but I just figured if I could feel something up through skin, something could get in there.
I'm sure I was overly sensitive about it:swoon:
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom