I’m staying away from all impact activities for lifetime. I did have ideas of getting back to the box jumps, running, and activities I did before the hip deteriorated. I’ve since squashed that idea. No jumping or running is in my future recovery or fitness training. That’s based on much of what I’ve read and absorbed about post THR. I can be satisfied with hiking, biking, kettlebells, rowing, and free weights. Other than extremely painful walking, my fitness activities sank to zero two years ago. I’m not sure if it’s how my body is constructed, but even upper body weight training created tremendous pain for days in the hip region. All that pain is now gone. It’s pretty miraculous. One of the things I decided was to do no exercises for the 7-10 days following surgery. I know my body very well and understand what it needs. That need was healing of soft tissue and getting the inflammation down. I’m so thankful for finding this site as it gave me permission to heal. I’m opting not to go through PT. My PT would agree. We’ve been through a lot and I know what I need to do. I’m falling in love with walking again. That’s so cool.Greg - just as a data point from my PT appointment on Friday. She had me do body weight "squats" sitting and standing up from a chair (e.g. versus a bench). The first one was very tough, but then I felt more strength. She was a bit more aggressive than the other PT I had earlier in the week, and at the end of the day, I am still leaning towards that balance of building strength while trying to take it slow and let everything heal.
My doctor wants me to stay with "gait assisted" devices (e.g. walker/cane) through three weeks. I have been walking unaided a few steps inside and outside (everything gets in the way) for almost a week. I know this is risky, and keep reminding myself to use a walker or my cane. I also ordered trekking poles, which I am hoping to use on my short walks. I am still icing a lot, and watching my swelling.
Good luck with your doctor, obviously they will have the best advice for you.
United States
)
