THR Greg555's Recovery Thread

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
United States United States
Greg - just as a data point from my PT appointment on Friday. She had me do body weight "squats" sitting and standing up from a chair (e.g. versus a bench). The first one was very tough, but then I felt more strength. She was a bit more aggressive than the other PT I had earlier in the week, and at the end of the day, I am still leaning towards that balance of building strength while trying to take it slow and let everything heal.

My doctor wants me to stay with "gait assisted" devices (e.g. walker/cane) through three weeks. I have been walking unaided a few steps inside and outside (everything gets in the way) for almost a week. I know this is risky, and keep reminding myself to use a walker or my cane. I also ordered trekking poles, which I am hoping to use on my short walks. I am still icing a lot, and watching my swelling.

Good luck with your doctor, obviously they will have the best advice for you.
I’m staying away from all impact activities for lifetime. I did have ideas of getting back to the box jumps, running, and activities I did before the hip deteriorated. I’ve since squashed that idea. No jumping or running is in my future recovery or fitness training. That’s based on much of what I’ve read and absorbed about post THR. I can be satisfied with hiking, biking, kettlebells, rowing, and free weights. Other than extremely painful walking, my fitness activities sank to zero two years ago. I’m not sure if it’s how my body is constructed, but even upper body weight training created tremendous pain for days in the hip region. All that pain is now gone. It’s pretty miraculous. One of the things I decided was to do no exercises for the 7-10 days following surgery. I know my body very well and understand what it needs. That need was healing of soft tissue and getting the inflammation down. I’m so thankful for finding this site as it gave me permission to heal. I’m opting not to go through PT. My PT would agree. We’ve been through a lot and I know what I need to do. I’m falling in love with walking again. That’s so cool.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Some of that came from having an emotional breakdown in his office describing the feeling of being arthritic free
I’m sure many of us can relate. I know I can. I have one of those instances imprinted in my memory. Mine occurred a month post op when I was walking into a grocery store early one July morning, unassisted, without any pain. The sky was blue, the trees were green, the sun was shining and all felt perfect with the world. I reminded myself to store that moment of peace and gratitude in my memory bank to revisit at will....and I have many times.

I have noticed that my op leg is a little different. This foot/toes point more forward. Prior to the surgery my toes on that leg pointed slightly outward. It’s not dramatic, but noticeable. When I walk both feet match now.
Same! My surgeon called it external rotation, maintained surgery would correct it and it did. Mine wasn’t immediate though, but it didn’t take long.

I can be satisfied with hiking, biking, kettlebells, rowing, and free weights.
We have so many options to remain active and fit. You’re making wise choices.

I’m so thankful for finding this site as it gave me permission to heal
I found this site to be a blessing also during my recovery. We’re happy you’ve joined us.

I’m falling in love with walking again. That’s so cool.
Walking is the best exercise for recovery, but as the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines reminds us, not to excess.

You’re doing awesome, Greg! Keep up the good work. :)

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
YESS! @Greg555 the toes going strainght ahead!! My left leg did this. It had been slightly turned out for years. I could correct it if I paid attention, but it was automatic post op. Three years later, I turn out slightly again sometimes. Wonder what's up with that? There was somebody on here in summer 2013 who described the view from her pillow as "my feet are standing up straight like two little soldiers!"

I could never have driven to my 2-wk followup, neither hip. We moved between hips but I used
same surgeon. Hip one, 45 min of interstate. Hip two, 1.5 hrs of interstate. I was wayyyy too foggy and fatigued at two weeks. DH took me first time, his sister the second, and that time we stopped for some really good ice cream as our reward. I drove myself to both of the later ones. (And yes, stopped for ice cream.... :heehee: )

So I can understand both your breakdown in the office-- you were already exhausted!, and the mood swings can be pretty emotional. That was probably the best thing that has happened to your OS all year....

Your bed exiting and walking sound great! Keep up the good work!

Pink Peony

Country
I’m staying away from all impact activities for lifetime. I did have ideas of getting back to the box jumps, running, and activities I did before the hip deteriorated. I’ve since squashed that idea.
I am still in the camp of hoping to run. When discussing prior to surgery my doctor said that about 30% of his his patients have returned to running. He said that many didn't have issues with the joint, but could "feel" the stem, which caused them to stop. I had wanted to give cross-fit a try (e.g. box jumps), but since that hasn't been a part of my life, that is less of an issue. However, as you point out, there are many other alternative activities where you can still achieve fitness goals, while not aggravating the hip. Like you, I also went through 18 months of my world getting smaller as my hip prevented even normal activities (e.g. walking but with a limp). Now that I am on the other side, I want to go back to my "old live", but I also know that I want to minimize the risk of a revision.

Walking is very cool, and has all the cardio benefits! Thanks for sharing your update that you are not going to PT. My first outpatient PT is tomorrow, however based on this forum, if it is painful I will trust my body.

Thanks for your updates, it is interesting to share our recovery journies.

Last edited:

DEL2020Jul-11

@Greg555, Congratulations as you are approaching 3 weeks since your hip replacement! You sound like you are doing great and I hope you ease into your return to work well!

Your comment about "falling in love with walking" was awesome:)

I am at 7 months, had a bumpy recovery road, and now have the joy of walking and doing some light hiking (if it is too steep and rocky, right now I pass on those trails)!

I just wanted to join you in the excitement of walking without pain in the hip joint!

Also, I want to share with you that my walking has improved with adequate healing time (and for me, an outstanding PT, and useful safe exercises for strengthening and stretching).

I am enjoying better endurance, and longer beautiful walks/light hikes in my beloved mountains...

Wishing you continued good healing and good walking!

Best,
Golden

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
The healing journey continues. I think that I’m doing well considering all things. I’ve been walking pretty much unaided and I’m at day 19. When soreness arrives I grab my cane. I got up to pee last night and there was no pain at all. Then I woke up and the there was. The soreness is definitely intermittent. I’m still on aspirin until the end of the month per doctor’s orders. That and Tylenol is the extent of my pain medication at this point. My main issue is overdoing things. I get very tired very quickly and require a nap. I still use the Ossur ice machine. I simply can’t recommend these units enough. It was the best $200 I ever spent. So easy and convenient to use. I’ll probably get my butt chewed about this, but I installed a radiator in my van today. I was careful and took my time. Lots of rest. I think it’s vital that I stay as active as my body allows. Additionally I walked one of the dogs around the block today. For that I did use a cane to assist. Tomorrow I go back to work. I have a very light schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
On more thing. The pains I feel are always different. Lol. Sometimes it’s my knee. Other times my thigh. Sometimes the glute muscle talks to me. It’s just a merry go round of soreness. Then without warning....all the soreness and pain vanished. So so weird. I find that diet and nutrition is vital. If I consume a lot of inflammatory foods like white flour products, sugar, and processed foods, the pain level increases. Lots of fruits, veggies, non processed meats, and lots and lots of water.

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I installed a radiator in my van today
Tomorrow I go back to work. I have a very light schedule.
Both ambitious activity for 19/20 days post op. You’re doing a lot of good with diet, icing, weaning off meds, sensible exercising and rest. Please take it slow. You don’t want to stall your recovery after you’ve been doing well.

Let us know how work goes. I sure hope it’s nothing strenuous and you have the option for breaks and the ability to leave and reconsider your premature return should it prove too much.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Sounds like you know your own limits. That "getting tired very quickly" part could affect how you feel altogether, once you start back to work. Keep your awareness!

You are so right about the food thing. I think lots of people who cut out highly processed foods feel better. Just wish I could get my 30-yr-old to change his diet!

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
First day back to work. The morning was ok, but the afternoon became grueling. I’m exhausted. All of that sitting was the most difficult part. Tomorrow I’ll need to make it a point to walk and stretch more.

DEL2020Jul-11

@Greg555,
I am sorry that you were uncomfortable today while sitting at work. I have no difficulty relating, as sitting bothered me a great deal for many months, sometimes more than standing or walking. I had to take lots of breaks to get up and move around, and often I supported my operative leg with a variety of pillows or small balls (from a tennis ball to rubber balls), to take pressure off where I was hurting. As you have already commented, the soreness jumps around to different areas and muscles, and I was especially tightness in upper part of hamstrings, gluts and the small hip stabilizers (called the deep six, includes piriformis).
Hope tomorrow goes better!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello Greg, Thanks for updating. In sharing, most often someone is enlightened.

I‘m sorry you’re feeling exhausted. Hopefully you’re able to chill in your favorite spot at home for the remainder of the evening. The effort it takes from the time you wake, until you arrive at your place of employment, is often overlooked. We tend to envision ourselves at our job without thinking about the energy it takes to get there.

It’s still so very early into the healing process and you will suffer some Energy Drain, it’s unavoidable. You recently experienced the controlled trauma of a major surgery and your body is trying to repair...and is healing. You‘ve been doing well. Please don’t cut yourself short of the TLC you need and deserve right now.

Since it sounds like you do a lot of sitting, consider bringing some gel ice packs to work to store in a community freezer, or a small cooler desk side. You can sit on one or place one wherever you’re experiencing discomfort. I used to use one in the car in the early weeks and months because sitting in a confined space, without the ability to shift positions used to drive me crazy after about 30-40 mins. The ice packs may bring you some relief.

Sweet dreams, hope you sleep well tonight! :yawn: :sleep:
@Greg555

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It is easy to over estimate our abilities when we feel good after the pain of an arthritic painful hip. It is almost euphoria with the constant pre operative pain being gone. Keep listening to your body and your hip as it is trying to tell you things. Sometimes the fastest way to our goal is the slower way. I hope tomorrow is easier if not please consider shorter days or fewer days and take a day off in between work days. I hope your night is peaceful and restful.

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
I had some unruly inflammation last evening. 15 minutes using the Ossur cold machine knocked it down to a manageable level where I could sleep. My knee, papas, and tfl area are still the trouble spots. This is the first time ever that I’ve had any sort of knee pain. I think the problem I created for myself is that I spent too much time standing around catching up on work news. This morning is pretty good. Just the regular post surgical soreness. The incision area looks very good.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I spent too much time standing around catching up on work news.
Work news? Or office gossip? :rotfl:
Probably the first, the second describes women, lol.

Glad to hear the ice helped. I had pretty decent knee pain and it didn’t really begin until I was about 2 1/2 weeks post op. Obviously it was the op knee which can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process. Ice your knee, if you’re not already, right along with anything else that hurts.

Hope you can crash in your fave spot nightly at home, not doing much else, until you’re feeling stronger and more energized.

A great rest of the day to you!

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Today was a little better at first. I had to work a longer day. That’s typical on Tuesday. I got home and cancelled a meeting I was to attend tonight. Simply too much. One mistake I made was to stand at the end of the driveway chatting with a neighbor. We spent 20 minutes out there before I excused myself. That was about 19 minutes too long. I’m resting now and did get the inflammation down. The aspirin Intake for thinning the blood is really starting to rip up my stomach. I’m calling tomorrow to see if I can cut it back or stop. I’m still making progress and staying steady with the exercises. The exercises really help wake up the muscles. Also started some stretching. Quite honestly I really don’t see myself as needing a lot of it. With the return of internal rotation, I’m good to go.

Pink Peony

Country
Glad you are having a good return to work. I am still in my recliner, but hoping to graduate back to my office chair this week.

I will be interested to read what your doctor says about the aspirin. Mine is insistent on taking them for 35 days post op.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
The aspirin Intake for thinning the blood is really starting to rip up my stomach.
Make sure to take with food and water, if you’re not already.

While it’s your life, your recovery, you‘ve returned to work before the recommend time suggested. I fully understand it’s unavoidable for some. I believe you’re experiencing why it’s recommended waiting 10-12 weeks. With that said, it will be most beneficial to the healing process if you’re able to rest after work, not doing much else.

Exercise which also takes energy, is not necessary at this time. There is not a window of opportunity you will miss in giving your body the time it needs to heal first. I would hate to see you keep pushing it, stalling your recovery or developing chronic pain issues, both of which we’ve seen here too many times.

I hope today is a good day!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
As Layla stated taking aspirin with food is helpful. My question is that you get enteric coated aspirin or just plain. The enteric coating does help also with avoiding any stomach issues. You sound great otherwise, glad you are listening to your body and cancelled the evening meeting.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
I have done that "standing and chatting too long" thing, and nearly fallen on my face when turning to go. Beware road rash!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lyndsie1996
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom