THR Greg555's Recovery Thread

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
United States United States
Week 5 was yesterday. I continue to chase inflammation. I’m experiencing a fair amount of swelling that is resolved with ice and ibuprofen. The basic exercises given to me at the clinic can be completed pain free most of the time. The inflammation returns within an hour following an icing. The issue remains the the stabbing pain and collapse of the top of the leg inward when I rise from a seated to a standing position. Following a good icing the pain is gone or greatly reduced and the hip is stable. This leads me to believe it’s inflammation and me compensating for the pain. I do have my 6 week follow up with the surgeon on Friday. He’ll do xrays and an exam. I need to find a balance between doing too much and doing too little. I’m not very good at judging that.

Pink Peony

Country
Will be looking forward to good news after your 6 - week follow-up.

I too have bouts of swelling. Yesterday, it was particularly swollen (spent all day in office chair), and last night I did "legs on wall" and more icing. Thus far today, swelling is almost not noticeable. While there is a correlation if I sit too long, it also seems like some days are just better than others as it relates to swelling.

I hope the issue from seating to standing is explained by your surgeon.

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Will be looking forward to good news after your 6 - week follow-up.

I too have bouts of swelling. Yesterday, it was particularly swollen (spent all day in office chair), and last night I did "legs on wall" and more icing. Thus far today, swelling is almost not noticeable. While there is a correlation if I sit too long, it also seems like some days are just better than others as it relates to swelling.

I hope the issue from seating to standing is explained by your surgeon.
My surgeon is very good about answering questions. He doesn’t say much unless I talk and ask. Great at giving information though. Just this afternoon I noticed that a simple hamstring stretch completely relieves the pinching sensation. Perhaps it’s tightness and inflammation combined. I’ll know more on Friday.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Greg555 we all have that problem finding balance, and we all get it balanced eventually! It's tough if what's perfect this week is too much next week and not enough the week after that! Very frustrating. It all shakes out soon enough.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I need to find a balance between doing too much and doing too little. I’m not very good at judging that.
Another chance to learn a new skill. This one like patience is a difficult one to learn and practice. When feeling good you just keep going because you can and it is such a treat. Just try to monitor yourself better and maybe keep a log and scale back for a while and then advance your activities more gradually.
I hope you get even more answers on Fri. at your appointment. Have a good night.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, despite our insistence on "working" our way to a quicker recovery...Unfortunately it takes the time it takes.:bored:
Considering what they actually have to do, it is quite amazing our bodies are able to repair and bounce back as quickly as it does...I think.:unsure:

I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed.
You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months.
Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience.
I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life.
:happydance:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
jakess61
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom