THR Greg555's Recovery Thread

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
United States United States
@Greg555 I'll bet this is the little doohicky my PT used, with a pointy parasol-shaped head, to get rid of a couple of really stubborn adhesions in my first scar.

I'd had right piriformis pain (not aware of what it was until I came here) for better than 10 years before the RTHR. It took the left THR to make it go away though! I had a special chair for rehearsals and concerts, a cushion I carried everywhere (GREAT cushion, I still carry it for height if I have to play from a folding chair...). Maybe I want one of these units! Thanks for mentioning it :yes:

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Ending day six. Pain is now centered on the upper portion of my knee. It’s a deep, gnawing pain. I could walk up stairs unaided, but I’m not comfortable doing so. A lot of progress was made this week by just allowing things to heal and not doing those exercises. I had to spend a little more time on my feet than I should’ve today because of a sick dog. I’m planning for an ice and rest day tomorrow. The dressing bandage came off today and I showered. The wound looks good. There was almost no blood on the bandage. Stainless sutures to be removed next week. I used the gauze and tape the clinic supplied. I’m off to bed.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good morning @Greg555 You are having a good recovery so far and am impressed that you are home alone and taking no narcotics.. good for you! I couldn't have done that, especially if being home by myself. You sound very resourceful and like you planned your recovery well.

I wanted to comment about icing the TFL.. I had a lot of relief from icing there, too. But then of course I was icing all over the place. :snork:

The knee issue is a big one for many of us.. my knee and ankle were both causing me more issues than the actual hip area and can be like that for quite some time.

You really are doing very well.. congrats on getting through your first week!

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Ice your knee as well. They grab your knee and manipulate it pretty hard to dislocate your hip. My knee hurt worse than my new hip post RTHR.
Thank you Jaycey for that information. I had suspected such. My knees have always held up well, as has every other joint in the body except for the left hip. I have been paying more attention to that area with ice.

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Good morning @Greg555 You are having a good recovery so far and am impressed that you are home alone and taking no narcotics.. good for you! I couldn't have done that, especially if being home by myself. You sound very resourceful and like you planned your recovery well.

I wanted to comment about icing the TFL.. I had a lot of relief from icing there, too. But then of course I was icing all over the place. :snork:

The knee issue is a big one for many of us.. my knee and ankle were both causing me more issues than the actual hip area and can be like that for quite some time.

You really are doing very well.. congrats on getting through your first week!
Good morning CricketHip. Doing this adventure solo wasn’t exactly what I had planned. A small window in my surgeon’s schedule opened up and I grabbed it. Unfortunately it didn’t work well with my family‘s schedule on such short notice. I have had the help of two good friends. One for transportation and the other to help with my dog. It’s been a challenge, there’s no doubt about that. I talked with my surgeon and anesthesiologist about using no heavy narcotics. They were both on board with me. My challenge and fear came because of a history of addiction. I did make arrangements if I required the heavier narcotics. Looking back now, I probably should’ve. I suffered needlessly for about three days. I was reluctant to take the tramadol, but I needed it for sleep. Something that really did help me was the suggested protocol I read here. Basically to take it easy and allow things to heal.

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Here’s a mid afternoon checkin. I’ve been resting most of the day with the exception of some marching and glute training. One thing that I forgot to mention was that the lower leg and foot pain was resolved by the surgery. It used to be horrible at night. The restless leg issue that I had began to experience on the operative (left) side is also gone. So I actually got a little extra for my money.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Greg555 that is awesome! Always great when we get a little extra bargain for our money!

As well as icing your knee you can try putting on one of those stretchy, elastic knee brace things you can get at most retailers. Especially if you're going to be on your feet a lot. I used one on my knee pre-op and a nice in a while throw it on if I sleep wrong or overdo.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’ve been resting most of the day with the exception of some marching and glute training
Please read this article below and see what you think. It addresses marching.

Wonderful news that the RLS, lower leg and foot pain has disappeared.
Hopefully it’s making for nights of peaceful uninterrupted sleep.
I hope you have a wonderful week!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You are a wise man, and it will pay off for you in your recovery! I would have done the same thing, I think.. snagged that earlier surgery date and just go for it.
Glad to read that you do have some help.. especially with the dogs.

Losing the lower leg and foot pain is a big bonus! It all sounds good to me. :yay:

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
I’ve been resting most of the day with the exception of some marching and glute training
Please read this article below and see what you think. It addresses marching.

Wonderful news that the RLS, lower leg and foot pain has disappeared.
Hopefully it’s making for nights of peaceful uninterrupted sleep.
I hope you have a wonderful week!
I couldn’t agree more with the article. The amount of tissue trauma that hip replacement causes to the body is something that some PT’s seem to overlook. I’ve learned that tissue needs to heal properly before stressed. Once again today I found out that leg raises need to be approached with care. Any new movements I introduce have to parallel the healing process. It’s slow going. I’m finding that controlled steps (Walking) is the best therapy at this point.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Definitely a dance, this recovery business.
Finding the line between enough without overdoing it can be tricky...especially since it doesn't hurt until we stop!
So more time to heal and strengthening and toning can come later.
I'm glad I took the appropriate time to get my new hips set and ready to go.
Now I am off and running...well, walking super fast...I Can Run, but only when chased by a snake or an errant firework.:heehee:
I do have a very active life and great mobility, and NO more Hip Pain.:chuckmarch:

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Here I am at day 8. This morning was one of those times that i needed to remind myself that recovery isn’t a linear process. It was a hard morning. My leg slipped off the between leg pillow and moved to the front. I woke up feeling like it was welded in place. I guess the good thing is that I’m getting restful sleep. I’ve been waking up at 5-530am which is what I did today. I practiced some light stretching to loosen things up. The pain is my knee and lower thigh. The muscles were quite sore. I took two tramadol and rested and iced. I fell asleep and woke up at 12:30pm. Wow. My body must’ve needed rest. This afternoon has been better. My dog isn’t sick anymore so that’s a big relief. I took my supplements and a little bite to eat. For the first time since walking into the hospital I put on my hiking shoes. It felt so good. We took a walk about halfway down the block and back. Icing now. I’m not complaining. Overall I have a lot to be grateful for. Sometimes the alone time gets to be a bit much. A friend is coming tonight. That’ll be nice.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
So sorry you are struggling...it is All Temporary . And reminiscent of the same issues and feelings I was having at just over a week out.
All normal.. I'm afraid and once again, all temporary.
It DOES get better so hang in there, new hippy pal. :yes:

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Greg555 I'm sorry about your morning pain, but wow that extra sleep!!! I seem to remember some discussion here in 2013 about strapping the pillow to your leg-- I can't remember if it was somebody's joke, or if there was actually a pillow like that!

So glad your afternoon looked up, and had an official hiking shoes walk! I know what you mean about the feeling you get when wearing "official" clothing/footgear!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy for you that your dog is not ill any longer. It is so worrying when our four footed friends are ill. Sounds like you had a nice walk. You are doing so awesome at just 8 days. I hope you had a nice visit with your friend.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
My leg slipped off the between leg pillow and moved to the front. I woke up feeling like it was welded in place.

What a great description! You brought me right back to waking up to that feeling during recovery.. ugh! Glad everything improved by the afternoon.
Good for you for remembering to tell yourself that the recovery isn't linear. Far from it!

Keep up the good progress, I'm so glad the dog has recovered, too and hopefully the visit with your friend helped chase away the blues a bit.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
jakess61
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom