THR Greg555's Recovery Thread

Greg555

Country
United States United States
My THR occurred 6/29. I was discharged to home the following morning. So far I’ve been able to manage. I do live alone with the exception of my dogs. The most energetic dog is boarded until next week on Thursday.

My appetite is good and I’ve been managing pain with Tylenol and Aspirin. I was given Tramadol but I get itchy from it.

I do have a ossur cold rush cooler with hip pad. I'm moving from between the walker to cane. The sensations of pain are different. From a burning to an ache to a deep sharper pain. I’m just taking it easy and listening to my body. Glad I found this site.

sistersinhim

Country
@Greg555 , I have moved your post and started your own recovery thread for you. If you want your title changed just let us know.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello Greg555.
This is your recovery thread now. Please continue to post her about your progress. If you can, bookmark it, so you don't lose it.

Here is some reading to help you manage your recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Creampuff

Country
Greg,
So glad to hear you're doing well. My surgery is 7/30. I have a friend keeping my rambunctious puppy for two weeks after surgery, but having my geriatric dog and cat at home with me, along with my husband.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome @Gregg555. Good to read that you are listening to your body and your hip. Please read some of the other articles as they are great for extra information as you go through the recovery process. We are glad you are here and sharing your journey with everyone.

Pink Peony

Country
Welcome Greg555! I also had my surgery on 6/29, and purchased an ossure cold rush, which I have been using every day. It has been a great addition to the "healing" tools.

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us and congrats on your new hip.

It seems you’re doing all the right things. I’ll bet you’re missing your rambunctious furry bud :doggie: Probably a wise choice to board though in these early days so you’re not getting jumped on, or tripping over.

Please take the time to read through the Recovery Guidelines, Celle, left you. There’s lots of useful info and the articles are short making it easier to concentrate in these early days post op.

We‘re here to advise, support and encourage if you need us, so please don’t be a stranger.
Until next time, all the best!!

@Greg555

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Pain upon waking up was high this morning. I dosed with Tramadol, aspirin, and Tylenol. 45 minutes later I’m sleepy, but comfortable. This is day 4.

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Welcome Greg555! I also had my surgery on 6/29, and purchased an ossure cold rush, which I have been using every day. It has been a great addition to the "healing" tools.
Indeed. The cold rush unit is pretty awesome. I’ll find lots of use for the unit after recovery.

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Greg,
So glad to hear you're doing well. My surgery is 7/30. I have a friend keeping my rambunctious puppy for two weeks after surgery, but having my geriatric dog and cat at home with me, along with my husband.
I’m hoping that i’ll Be able to pick up my girl next Thursday. If not, she’ll need to stay a few more days. Too bad insurance doesn’t pay doggie day care. Lol

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Today is day 5. Woke up to a dull pain in the calf and “less” sharp pain near the hip compared to yesterday morning. I’ve made a point to exclusively use the walker even though I could get by with a cane. I think the cane will over-stress the strained muscles and internally sutured areas. I began to pay a bit more attention to icing the TFL area with good results. I’m working at staying well hydrated with plain water and avoiding inflammatory foods. Instead eating whole foods. Medication remains the same: Tramadol every 6 hours, 325mg aspirin for anti inflammatory and blood thinning, and 4000mg of Tylenol per day. The dressing bandage has a small amount of spotting and comes off tomorrow. I have been using a hypervolt percussion massager on the calf muscle with good relief from the dullish pain.

Last edited:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Greg555 sounds like you're doing fairly well at this point. Definitely try to stay ahead of the pain, happy you are steady using ice, great for pain.

Not real acquainted with the massager you mentioned, did a Google search though. Has this been cleared by your Surgeon for use? That thing looked a bit heavy duty and may be too early to be using this. I'm not sure but thought I'd mention it.

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
@Greg555 sounds like you're doing fairly well at this point. Definitely try to stay ahead of the pain, happy you are steady using ice, great for pain.

Not real acquainted with the massager you mentioned, did a Google search though. Has this been cleared by your Surgeon for use? That thing looked a bit heavy duty and may be too early to be using this. I'm not sure but thought I'd mention it.
It’s a fairly hd massage unit. I wouldn’t use it anywhere near the thigh area. It was set to low and I only used it on the calf and to the side of the Achilles’ tendon. It was set to a very light massage. 2 minutes and the muscle relaxed and pain was gone.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Just wanted to check, one of them I saw online was kind of scary. If it's helping with the pain and not causing it I guess that's a good thing.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Greg555 I had plenty of that calf pain for both hips as I recall. That massager looks like an answer to prayer for some circumstances. The same idea as the giant old long-handled vibrating massager I used to have, which felt so good. This looks like it would target trigger points a bit more closely, and be easier to use on the front of you anyway-- how do you use it on your back though?

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
Just wanted to check, one of them I saw online was kind of scary. If it's helping with the pain and not causing it I guess that's a good thing.
I understand and you are correct. They can be a very deep massage unit. I set it to the lowest setting with a pillow attachment. It’s comparable to a hand massage. The difference being that I didn’t have to bend over to massage the calf with my own hand and risk pulling on the suture site.

OP
OP
G

Greg555

Country
@Greg555 I had plenty of that calf pain for both hips as I recall. That massager looks like an answer to prayer for some circumstances. The same idea as the giant old long-handled vibrating massager I used to have, which felt so good. This looks like it would target trigger points a bit more closely, and be easier to use on the front of you anyway-- how do you use it on your back though?
The unit is really a lifesaver. It targets trigger points like no other massage unit and has a number of different heads. I can say that I acquired a fair amount of equipment before surrendering to the fact that I had OS and needed surgery. This was one of the devices. I could generally reach my upper back with it. It was very effective for the release of the piriformis muscle which was often tight because of my damaged hip joint.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lyndsie1996
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom