Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Mojo - I saw on MyAussieGirl's thread that your dad has been in the hospital. I hope he is doing better! Let us know if you need anything - let us give back to you for all you've done for us! :flwrysmile::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr:
 
Thanks @SaraK
Began Tuesday am with urgent call from Dad to come get him and take him to hospital...he is 80 and suffers from COPD and congestive heart failure...has had multiple procedures to correct afib that have failed...thought last ablation would hold, but apparently it has failed now. He thought he was going to die...I did too. When I got there he was purple and sucking air. Wouldn't called ambulance but he lives about ten miles or in country and decided to rush him on ourselves. DH drove like mad :flabber:
Our local hospital apparently had All Idiots Come To Work Today
They had an ER doc who decided stroke was likely and pursued all related testing NEVER putting him on heart monitor. He has an implanted monitor since last ablation at medical center in city 2 hours from here and they called five hours later and asked him where he was. He says ER. They said Good, you have been in serious AFib for two days.
How helpful.
On top of that, I left to open Food Bank and by the time I returned he is still in ER ..7 hours elapsed time, no heart monitor, no food or drink...he is also mildly diabetic...
It goes on and on but culminates in finally getting him a room but no doctor visit so no sign off , so no meds up until yesterday morning.
Yours truly popped a major cork!
Hospital admins, nursing supervisors, risk management, you name it.
Within course of an hour, in his room appears neurologist, pulmonoligist, cardiologist, respiratory therapist, hospital admins, and various other folks who promise to investigate deficiencies
I am officially the crazy daughter for the man in 319.
They are doing a procedure today to clean out esophagus and probably pacemaker put in this week.
Feel bad for those who don't have anyone to fend for them.:sad:
My stepmother is in too bad health to sit with him so my sister...who just had half her for cut off due to severe diabetes and myself to handle.
Few hours sleep..but
HIPS were hitting those hospital hallways in premier fashion.
That's the up side.:umm:
 
I'm glad he's finally getting the care he needs and that he has you to advocate for him. Don't ever be afraid to be the crazy daughter. As you've seen, sometimes that's what you have to do and it does work. Introducing a lawyer friend/relative to the hospital staff can work as well! :heehee:

It may not be necessary if they're putting in a pacemaker but let me know if you'd like me to send you some articles from my cardiologist that allow a patient to check for afib at home (and know results yourself as well as going to doctor). He's now recommending it to all his afib patients.

I hope you're keeping track of your blood sugars. I'm diabetic but numbers have never been too far out of control. I had an early warning with gestational diabetes (had to use insulin) so they kept close watch on it over the following years. Between that and us catching it early, my doc hopes I won't have any of the complications.

Now, take about a dozen slow deep cleansing breaths! Take good care of yourself so that you remain strong for him and the rest of those who depend on you. And give DH a big hug for being there, keeping his cool and driving like a bat out of Hades.
 
What a nightmare. Good to hear that everything is getting sorted now. Like you say, it's frightening to think you could get wheeled in there and with no one to fight your corner could end up in a very bad way.

I hope your dad comes out of the ordeal for the better and make sure you take some time out for yourself this weekend.
 
Oh mojo, I relate to this so much. My Mum (then 83) fell and broke her shoulder in three places and was taken by ambulance to ED. I followed in my wheelchair in a taxi. When I got there they had her in a store room by herself with no call bell, no sling, no pain relief etc. I lost it big time and they transferred her to the main ED and gave her morphine. She was then transferred to a ward. It was about 3am by then so I went home. Next afternoon I go to visit her to find that she hadn’t seen any doctors let alone an OS and hadn’t had any more pain relief. When I questioned this they told me the Renal Doc would see her in the dialysis unit the next day. I told them that they had an unexpected guest for the night because I refused to leave her until she’d been seen by an OS and I would sit in my wheelchair all night and go with her to dialysis the next day and create a scene like Armageddon. I was told the OS had gone home and I’d achieve nothing by doing that...too bad, I was doing it anyway AND writing an official complaint to the Government Health Ministers Office. Within 10 minutes the OS was there, manipulated her fracture, stabilised it and had given pain relief. I then went home. I was considered the b***h from Hell. I don’t advocate for myself like that...but I will do whatever it takes to make sure my loved ones are cared for properly. I admire what you did. It takes courage and strength. All the best to your Dad.
 
Oh @Mojo333, so sorry for struggles with your dad. I have been the crazy daughter before. It is good you are there to advocate for hip. Sounds like you are more than capable of kicking some serious butt with those two bionic hips!

Prayers for healing.
 
@Mojo333, Hope you are succeeding in getting your dad the best care going. Sometimes being the crazy daughter really does help!
Hope you dad feels a little better soon, otherwise you'll wear out those hips prowling the corridors and kicking butt! :)
 
Thanks all for concern. They installed a pacemaker yesterday at noon and all went well.
The ER staff WAS incredibly negligent but as I told the admins, how else are they to prevent this if they don't know. One of his doctors PA was equally appalled and claimed she was going to lodge her own complaint (which I'm sure will bear even more weight than the crazy daughter's.
He is feeling better and if he burps, someone is there to offer a napkin do at least I could come home and sleep last night.
At one point the risk -something lady they sent tip asked, exactly what are you worried about?
I said, well I'm not worried for him because worth retired military/retired post office, he has so much insurance we can put him in the car once stabilized and take him anywhere. I worry for the poor bloke down the hall who hasnt anyone to advocate for him.
I'm extremely behind at work so now it's to catch up there:groan:
But for now, all is to a mild roar.
 
Wow, @Mojo333 . Your life has been on a roller coaster since I last visited. Thank goodness you were there to advocate for your dad. He is very blessed to have such a caring daughter! But I’m sorry about your own discomfort. I know we don’t need to lecture you on that but hopefully you’re keeping a close watch on everything so it at least doesn’t get worse. Now that the weekend is here, I hope you can get some much needed R and R and that your life slows to a gently jog as opposed to an all out marathon.

I hope this finds your dad feeling better and you having some time for yourself for a change! Have a good weekend! :roseshwr:
 
Doing well now that pop is being attended to...
Yes ma'am, will be giving myself a bit of a reprieve this weekend.
Hope all is well with you @GrannyC :loveshwr:
 
So sorry to read about what your dad had been through so very relieved that he had you there to fight his corner. Glad to hear that he’s doing much better. Hope you are able to get some rest :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks all...pacemaker installed but having a little trouble adjusting his medication.
He thinks he can go home today...but I'm really not sure.
He seems very melancholy as I'm sure is to be expected.
About to shower and go visit.
I truly dislike sitting at hospital but stepmother is in bad health.
Thanks f:)r all well wishes
 
Oh @AgilityDog, I do so need all of my BS buds well.
I was extremely stressed and frantic yesterday as well... as father was released and got settled at home Sunday but for some reason decided to have his new heart rate meds sent via mail scripts , and due to Glitch, didn't arrive.
His afib was in full swing and took many calls to get through to doctors and hospital to finally straighten out.
It was cold and windy here yesterday. I feel for my snowbird friends as when I get cold and shiver up my thigh and hip muscles really hurt. It's really the only time I notice it now.
I'm glad my surgery was in spring and most recovery in summer.
That should be stated somewhere.
Don't be pregnant in summer and don't have Hip surgery in cold months!
I'm sure my recovery was easier for not dealing with cold...made icing fun too as our summers are HOT!
Hope everyone has a good day. I've been a bit absent this past week and miss checking on everyone.
Hopefully today can be uneventful.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom