Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Hi @ Mojo333
Wow....sounds so beautifully poetic and fantasy like. Feels like Alice in Wonderland.
Did you fall through the looking glass today, Mojo?
All kidding aside, it sounds magical, makes me realize I need to stop and smell the roses.
Life is good, yes it is! My husband always says "Hey, it's a good day, I woke up breathing! Dork that he is, haha!
Hope your legs behave tonight and allow you a restful sleep!
 
Thanks @Layla. Yep, every night my better half says goodnight...love you...and Tomorrow's Gonna Be A Good Day.
Right attitude.
Thanks for the well wishes
 
ahhhh @Mojo333 what an afternoon. It reminds me also of Alice In Wonderland. When we were little, we had a record of a performance of the whole book, with music and songs added. The opening tune was about dreaming away a lazy afternoon on the river-- and the tune popped right up as I read your description.
 
You turtle tutu loving weirdo! I knew there was some reason I liked you.
I'm officially a member of the she-woman turtle biters club....long story, but funny. Have to tell you when got more time to tap it out as don't have computer at home right now, just smarter-than-me phone and DAC!!!!
Hope you rest good this evening...stay dry!!!
 
ROTFLMAO DAC to you too Sis...yep I love turtles and rescue them. Four I kept one I had to sell much of my gold to get her to see a reptile vet. I am that lady that stops traffic to cross a turtle safely. Got yelled at by a trucker and almost got arrested on the EWay in WI Trying to save a snapper...in the end the cop helped me save it then she threatened me with a huge fine if she ever saw me doing it again. I was all how DRY when she helped me. I bet you love turtles. Maybe not snappers but...
They are so adorbs :froggies:. They failed to have turtle smiles
 
@Mojo333 and @MyAussieGirl ladies, what is this DAC of which you speak? All I can think of is Dumb A** Computer but from context that can't be it!

Man I wish I knew where our pictures of the GIANT snapper we found went. We discovered it in late September, in a closed garden, only accessible by climbing rock stairs, attempting to dig itself into the garden soil for the winter. I watched it for a while, and then it gave up on that and tried to climb the stoop into the kitchen-- from outside the railing!! SO it was trapped, head and front feet inside the railing, the rest of it outside. Had to pick it up, being very very careful, and walk it several hundred yards to a swamp where it would be happy.

We learned from the Infallible Internet that they will migrate amazing distances looking for just the right thing-- but how on earth this one unlocked the garden gate and then locked it behind itself will forever be a mystery to us!
 
Another cool turtle lover....we will save turtles too as a bone buddy group..... I love your story on snapper I would have wept if bad ending....whew. I wonder who we write for a turtle smiley? Turtles never harm anything ...well bugs and uh snappers fingers if you vex them .... BBL
 
@zauberflöte . Dang (?) Auto Correct.
My first weeks post op on meds I had some very strange posts due to DAC...and due to meds....:wink:
I too will stop to get turtles out of road...including snapper with very very long neck. My children were ducking down in back seat with horror and embarrassment as other drivers stretched their necks out to see if I was about to get bit ..or hit.
My better half tries to speed by them so I don't see them
:running:
 
Be careful... my auto-correct auto corrected something benign into a strange 3 letter acronym that I didn't catch and I got called on it and had to ask what it meant...before I could apologize. It was pretty wicked. I told administrators it took me 4 days to figure out what little guy with sign ROTFL meant. I'm really a social media virgin. I never go on forums...well till now.:rofsign:
 
@Mojo333 ..did not want to take attention to Christian's thread by replying to you on his thread, so here I am on yours.....

The weirdest thing happened last Friday.. I mentioned the previous surgeon in another post (the confident cowboy with the excellent reputation who only does the anterior procedure, several hundred annually in fact). I ran into him at the grocery store and he ended up speaking with me for a solid 20 minutes.

I explained to him what my reservations were and he was very amenable to accepting my position about him, etc. As I live on my own with a zero support system, I had really wanted to go with the anterior approach initially. One of things that was really depressing me (hence the beginning of the "Pre-Op Blues" thread) was going to be my lack of independence for 6-8 weeks with the posterior. Also being told that I cannot ride the bus for 3 months was a killer for me as I depend on the bus to get around San Francisco! (Used to have a car, but got rid of it before attending grad school on the UK..plus SF is so small and compact that one does not need a car).

Anyway, Dr. Cowboy ,(okay, this really isn't fair as although the cowboy is very self-confident, he also exceptionally nice without any arrogance whatsoever), promised he could fit me in for surgery in August and he did (8/28).I met with the posterior surgeon today and she thought it was a good idea if I postponed my surgery with her for next Monday until I meet the cowboy again next week. She wanted me to make sure I was comfortable with my decision. She used to do anterior, but has stopped because she learned that the long-term success rate is only 2/3 of patients and the risk f long-term nerve damage is as high as 20%! Mind you, 90% of her patients are well over 65 and are more prone to falls/fracture.

The surgeon that trained her and who she still works with, is still performing the anterior approach and she did emphasize that there have been successful anterior surgeries. I know that you too had the anterior approach for your bilateral.

So conflicted at the moment!
 
I was able to do almost all for myself within a week, course not without some discomfort and aggravation. I honestly could not be more thrilled with how quickly I bounced back and how my hip pain was completely gone. I lost some weight prior to my surgery and am fairly healthy otherwise, no high blood pressure, diabetes, no maintenance meds for health problems. Main discomfort after surgery was extremely sore muscles in thighs. Not extreme unbearable pain as I took meds diligently for first 3-4 weeks, but a sore to the touch and moving like I had walked 500 miles the day before. No restrictions although there are things I didn't do/haven't done because I felt uncomfortable or anxious.
Now, I have some thigh numbness, which is lessening as time goes on, and if I stay on my legs allot, when i finally sit down my legs (nerves I'm sure,) feel restless, kind-of zingy and aggravated.
All extremely tolerable, I've been back to work since 4 1/2 weeks, taking lots of breaks and full-time at 6 weeks. I only have 6 hour days as I manage a charitable food bank, and I could've given it a few weeks more, but absolutely not horrible.
Certainly all I have us my experience and the first week with bilateral...not sure I hadn't screwed myself up. But it immediately eliminated all hip pain which had gotten unbearable..and I'm sleeping better than I have in years.
I can't be more impressed SO FAR...some of this residual leg stuff will lessen I feel sure, but if this is the way it stays it is tolerable with Tylenol and stretching and some numb beats the heck out of excruciating pain. Wish I could tell you what to do, I feel the recovery is somewhat quicker with anterior...but the forum gurus here say it matters more how many surgeries performed. I may just be really lucky but I took it very very slow and easy the first month especially.
Good luck with your decision.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
She used to do anterior, but has stopped because she learned that the long-term success rate is only 2/3 of patients and the risk f long-term nerve damage is as high as 20%
@Jaycee @Josephine...think these stats are correct???
 
Those numbers certainly don't seem to be reflected in the experiences of Bonesmart members. The vast majority of members have great outcomes, regardless of surgical approach. The most important factor (and I know you've heard this before) is the experience and skill level of the surgeon.
 
@alexthecat .. the doctor just came back from a conference and she said these are the numbers that came to light at the conference although (and I quote) "they have not been published yet, but will be soon."
 
@Mojo333 ...thanks for your reply!

I have followed your progress, so I know that you are doing well. I too am very healthy with no weight problems, so no big issues there.

The cowboy performs far more anterior surgeries (and only anterior) than the other doctor performs posterior, but they both have excellent reputations. Just want to be able to be less restricted during my recovery so that I can maintain some semblance of independence and be able to ride the bus before three months (all very important to me)!!!!
 
@Lerwick8 i suspect that people with the anterior approach may be prone to do to much to soon. And that can shorten the life of the replacement. Also patient selection. I'm young and active and want to get back to work, so off course i go anterior (no restrictions fast recovery), i heard that some are back playing contact sports. Check out youtube, guys brag they had the anterior and their back squatting an Olympic bar with weights at 5 weeks! My feeling is that corrected for these variables, a hip replacement is a a hip replacement if done with expertise. My bias is i had the anterior approach, but i certainly have no regrets at this point. If that study comes out soon grill your anterior guy about it! If they are failing, how, and is it related to the approach, other factors. There's so much to consider and you'll be relieved when its all over, and OA pain is gone)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@BlueSkys ...totally agree. And you don't have to go to you tube to find it ..I see it on this forum and I think you are spot on. The short term recovery can seem less restrictive therefore people don't take the time to do the deep healing by pushing it too much.
I have gone back to work but I did no PT for first 6 weeks, rested iced elevated every day after work and do not lift heavy tend, twist, ride long distances, etc..
I am very active and enthusiastic about life but I use my X-ray's to remind me I have prosthetic implants because I honestly can't tell hipwise.
These hips are going to last a long time and I will try to take good care of them...not see how fast I can wear them out.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom